Lord Abbett & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Douglas B. Sieg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good work life balance and easy working atmosphere" (in 15 reviews)

• "Compensation, A lot of days off, Gym in building, Great Training Program, Fun Work Environment, High paced, Opportunities within the firm" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "This hides visibility of highly talented technical people efforts to senior management" (in 11 reviews)

• "Management, work environment, dishonest supervisors" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Grow , let others grow culture.
    Highly motivated environment
    Scope to work on latest technology
    Experienced people are asset of company and very helpful.
    Monthly technology forum helps to understand where are we and roadmaps.

Unlimited paid time off, work from home option, 100% subsidized premium on healthcare for 2019.
    Latest policy changes are big cons to employees.

Cons

No cons experienced so far.

2. "Lord Abbett Review"

I have been working at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Investment in employee success & development
    -Entrepreneurial environment
    -Recent shift to flexible policies

Cons

Consider a New York City presence - having a small office would be an appealing option to employees

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to needs of employees

"Wish I could give them less than one star..."

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time

Pros

Gym, Boardwalk, Waterfront Location, Cafeteria

Cons

Overworked + underpaid = undervalued, overall chaotic and toxic work environment with lazy/mediocre employees (Bro-culture and trust fund baby culture is rampant) limiting any upward growth unless you turn a blind eye and or are just like them. IT/Tech is still a joke and most employees lack basic industry standard skills (MS Office Suite), they still think PowerPoint is the only way to give a presentation and completely lack innovation or any form of creativity. Morale and any kind of team building efforts are mostly all rhetoric and no action. A regime of systemic oppression.

Advice to Management

I'd advise management to make an effort to actually get to know the people that are working for them, but that would be a waste of time, considering that management is part of the problem and not the solution. Management condones the culture and even aides it by continuing to hire more employees (clones) just like them. Honestly, everything is too far gone to be saved at this point, they might as well just fire everyone and put the waterfront real estate back on the market.

"Technology is a joke"

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time

Pros

Company benefit such as 401k, Medical insurance, Gym and Location are great. It is the best place for growth If you are a former Goldman Sachs employee.

Cons

Unqualified middle management (neither knows technology nor business domain) is trying to save their jobs always. This hides visibility of highly talented technical people efforts to senior management. There is absolutely no growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Congratulations ! that you have great room for growth. Please let others also grow. Don't be selfish. (This is for Tech. Management).

"7 Years at Lord Abbett"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am in IT. Working in Lord Abbett gives good Business Exposure.

Cons

From Last two years it has been hell in IT. They want get rid of old employees so they give fabricated bad ratings even though you are performing well. This can go on for year or more till you get frustrated and leave.

Advice to Management

Stop harassing people to leave this will bring down moral of all employees

"This review is solely based on working in Operations, which in it's current state, is a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, relatively small <1K employees, large private cubicles, cafeteria, reasonable hours, sensitive managers (depends on group - I was fortunate), great view, free gym (small and not great for real fitness enthusiasts)

Cons

The politics of operations have driven it into the ground. Most recently, we had a partner laid off. Someone who had contributed to the firm for many years simply disappeared one morning with nothing more than a one sentence mention at the very end of an operational announcement email.

Mysterious consultants roaming the halls with a dedicated conference room to themselves and regular meetings in the COO’s office.

Analysts from lesser performing groups are being utilized to fill positions requiring industry experience with managers having little input. Positions that would otherwise be filled externally.

CEO Q/A sessions where he praises sales, marketing, investments yet absolutely no mention of core services. Many believe this is just another indication that most of ops will be outsourced and ultimately downsized.

Recent talk of moving the company because of cost savings and underutilized space. I personally believe that this is due to upcoming layoffs.

Lastly, I was very happy during my time at Lord Abbett and at a time where I was weighing my options, the changes just kept coming. The high, positive energy employees almost never stay due to the environment and I eventually fell victim to this as well. You will be suppressed to some extent. If you read my notes above, the writing is on the wall. Do not accept an offer if it is in operations and if you are a current employee reading this, get that resume together. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Be receptive of advice. I am not offering any as I know it will fall on deaf ears.

"Compensation"

I have been working at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time

Pros

Free Gym and location is very good

Cons

Compensation not up to industry standard

"Senior"

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time

Pros

Very laid back and people are very friendly

Cons

won't be able to maximize your skills

9. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Accountant in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Position was impacted due to department restructuring

Cons

Lately, the company start to do restructuring

"Developer"

I worked at Lord Abbett & Co. full-time

Pros

Good location and medical benefits, Excluding the technology , Good overall culture at the firm.

Cons

Small firm with too much politics. New technology management is a failure after its 2 year term as neither the business is happy nor the technology team. The failure is due to the fact that it is lead by people who are people's manager and lack in technology. There is lot of focus on managing people rather than driving solutions. Technology directors and senior technical managers are outdated as they have worked here for years and have no exposure to outside world. They cannot drive any technical conversations due to lack of knowledge . They are way behind in technology and are trying hard to save their jobs by giving non automated solutions to business so that business depends on them for every piece of data that is needed by them.

Managers do not let developers to interact directly with business and build anything good as this will jeopardize their job which is not even needed in such a small firm. There is a manager for every 2 developer and some of them are really worthless.

Business users are easy going and are happy even if the technology teams are able to provide the excel based solutions as business has never seen anything that goes beyond excel. The technology team is predominantly governed by project managers who have no prior experience in building any solutions,

There is lot of kiosk at the firm at the technology side and their is no direction. Its a 45 hrs week timesheet that is being asked to fill in at the technology side .

No career growth and absolutely no flexibility. People who are confident in themselves have already left the firm or are planning to move out. People who have visa issues and are less confident are getting pressurized to work 10 to 12 hrs at office and not to count the time they spend at home.

Advice to Management

Get the basics in Technology right first and hire leaders who have technology background to drive solutions and not management background.