Lorian Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 6, 2017

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Julian Ahumada

1. "The grass isnt always greener"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lorian Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

really good values as a company and good leadership. I make a good wage and i like the people i work with and helping the patient's. I researched some other places not long ago and decided to stay put after speaking with hiring people and staff members there. I am so glad i stayed.

Cons

a 9/80 work week would be great so that i could spend more time with my family.

"Close team that tries hard to care for the community"

I have been working at Lorian Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, a lot of work but good job security for hard workers. And lots of benefit goodies they keep adding. There is turnover, but this is the 3rd home health agency I worked at and it seems to be an industry that attracts some very strange people. The independent misfits types who like working with a offsite team are the ones who do the best.

Cons

Its gotten pretty good with the addition of 401K and time off eligibility for all employees, not just full time, but I would like to see a vision plan and life insurance.

Advice to Management

In corporate a vision and life insurance plan. don't get so big that you stop listening to the staff. They have really helped shape Lorian. Be a little more particular in the patients you take on that are non-medicare or pro-bono.

"Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - LVN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lorian Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Everyone is really nice and helpful
    Awesome Supervisor
    Decent Pay/Compensation
    Per Diem Employees Flexible Schedule (Pick the days you want to work)

Cons

If you are Per Diem you will sometimes have a lot of visits and sometimes have no visits. It is very unpredictable if you are a Per Diem employee. They may add more visits during the middle of the day or in the middle of the night.

Sometimes you may have to drive far for a visit.

5. "Mostly good"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in San Diego, CA

Pros

Family owned and operated business. Flexibility of scheduling. Room for advancement.

Cons

Small company with coverage issues at times due to lack of staff.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to cover the patient load

6. "review"

I worked at Lorian Health full-time

Pros

supportive HR, great staff in office and in the field

Cons

bad management, no communication from "supervisors"

Advice to Management

show appreciation to staff and find a way to effectively communicate with staff as well

7. "Too many cooks in the kitchen. . ."

I worked at Lorian Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company based in Southern California

Cons

They lack true leadership. The company is in disarray. No one wants to help train properly, but wants employees to break their backs for the company. The pay is not competitive enough. And let's face it. There are far too many cooks in the kitchen, it confuses the employees on what is right and what is wrong.

Advice to Management

Train you staff correctly. Take time to actually mentor them. Pay your staff what they deserve to be paid. Stop focusing on unnecessary tasks and focus on what matters and that is finding ways to appreciate your staff.

"Account liaison"

Current Employee - Account Liaison in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Liaison in San Diego, CA

Pros

Helping the seniors get the services they needed when home bound.

Cons

They pushed too hard and only cared about money not the patient.

Advice to Management

Remember what this industry is to do, serve homebound patients in need of medical services.

"Disorganized and unfocused"

Pros

Met the CEO and found him to be delightful...appeared to be caring with focus on patient care.

Cons

Trying to expand too fast into larger geographic area and totally losing focus on patient care overall as an organization...".the right hand does know what the left hand is doing" type of organization...communication is severely lacking and training of employees on thelectronic charting system is severely lacking.....lots of time lost as I never met a single employee who was fluent on use of the system AND capable of training someone else.

Advice to Management

slow down and provide better service thru experienced and trained personnel

"Caution"

Former Employee - Patient Care in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care in San Diego, CA

I worked at Lorian Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly nursing and therapy staff willing to support one another and help when asked. HR personnel friendly and helpful as well.

Cons

High employee turnover. 30 fulltime employees in a 24 month period. Rules today not necessarily the rules tomorrow. Memos outlining changes can't keep up with rate of changes if memos are sent at all. Disorganized, low morale. Budget conscious to the point of frequently running out of supplies or buying own vs reusing (unsafe). Mandatory educaction during off time without promised compensation. Promised but not delivered bonuses. Intimidation.

Advice to Management

Integrity and honesty. Follow a true business model. Patients AND employees matter.

11. "Lorian lacks integrity and professionalism"

I worked at Lorian Health full-time

Pros

Pay checks cashed. I liked some of my coworkers. but the company never offered direct deposit which always makes me worry about why Not. Like will my check cash? I liked my manager but some of the others were really inappropriate at times and sometimes even mean.

Cons

High stress environment with a work until you drop expectations. This went for office staff and field staff. They thought they owned everyone's time even after hours. retaliative behavior and sometimes negligent behavior by managers especially in clinical department was scary and hard to work in. Scapegoating was the norm and I know it started at the top on down.

Advice to Management

Say thank you to your staff. Tell them they did a good job now and again. I can probably count the times I received thanks or approval on one hand and I worked there for many years. Get some training to your managers and payroll and executives on sexism, fair pay, etc . Also replace the clinical managers with better educated and experienced managers who put patients first and that don't play games with the staff. Just because a manager has been in their position a long time doesn't mean they are good, but it does show they know how to keep a job . Hold all employees to the same standards when they are doing the same thing. Playing favorites with employees following or not following patient care standards is shameful. If a nurse is close to the dpcs and screws up on something, she/ he should get in as much trouble as a person who the dpcs hates who did the same thing. Offer Yearly reviews with increases should be annual and not every 2-4 years based only on the employee requesting it. look too at your rates and salaries. The company try's to makes everyone feel that they couldn't get hired somewhere else and that their pay is "competitive". I say that's a load and I didn't realize how much until I left. The company should work on nepotism also.