Lorien Reviews | Glassdoor

Claire Marsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best of both worlds"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

The edinburgh office is small enough that it has that family feel while you have the benefits of working for a larger company

I worked with some of my favourite people here and genuinely had fun/motivating/hilarious times almost every day because of that. You need that in the highs and lows of recruitment.

In my team, we worked really closely without the dog-eat-dog competitiveness you get from other recruitment companies. I think this team spirit is echoed in other offices too.

Great, inspiring leadership from the CEO. There is a real lack of hierarchy in lorien and this comes from the top down

Work life balance is really good, you work hard when there are deadlines and stay late if needs be but you are not working from home or trying to catch up in your downtime. It's also always a team effort.

Cons

There are limited paths of progression as there can only be so many 'account managers'. It's something Lorien are at least aware of and tackling though
    The kind of money you make can hugely depend on the luck of which account you are put on

Advice to Management

The changes being made along with the rebranding with cultural values are fantastic, keep up the good work in making Lorien a forward thinking recruitment company. make sure this resonates across all regions and create engagement with all employees.
    Things may have changed since I left but perhaps widen the scope of your incentives to include treats outside of work and non-drinking activities. It may be more appealing to quiet characters.

2. "Best Recruitment Company I've Worked For"

I have been working at Lorien full-time

Pros

Very happy here and as someone that has experienced other recruitment company environments, I can honestly say it is the best one I've worked for. Supportive and approachable management team, great friendly culture and good employee recognition schemes. Even though recruitment companies are KPI driven by their nature, Lorien manages this is in a fair and supportive way and is far away from the "hire and fire" cultures of some of their competitors.

Cons

More bureaucratic since acquisition by the parent company.

Advice to Management

Portable IT for employees would give more flexibility for working outside the office.

3. "Great team ethos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Lorien full-time

Pros

- Great environment
    - Plenty of support
    - Given time to master your trade
    - Learn on the job and formally
    - Flexible working hours

Cons

- Career map not as clear it could be
    - could do with updating the IT systems

Advice to Management

If you say you are going do something or implement something ensure that you stick to it and deliver upon it.

4. "A great place full of great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Lorien full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly people
    Knowledgeable leadership with a wealth of experience within recruitment
    Always open to hearing ideas from all staff
    Treat all their staff well
    Good locations in all 4 offices
    People care about each other and are more than work colleagues
    Experts in what they do

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing, it works

5. "Excellent people and comm opportunities"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Lorien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a real family feel and particularly in the office I worked in its a team atmosphere and the team goal that is important. Very different to other agencies where KPIs or sales targets can be key. Really awesome people that I have stayed in touch with and some great accounts to be working on in the recruitment industry. Great CEO.
    Great comm structure and opportunity, very unique!

Cons

Not many - at times you will need to stay late but all in your own self-interest for commission and realistically these late nights don't happen often.
    Incentives did tend to be work/booze based when I was there so if thats not your thing it may not work for you
    I found career opportunities/growth were favourable to me but it can be difficult in a small office give the growth opportunities to all that deserve

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you're going with the company as well as keeping and strengthening the family atmosphere. Seem like an exciting place to be at the moment!

6. "Very happy and still here"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Lorien part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team environment
    Very friendly company
    Opportunity to earn great commission
    Flexible
    Social nights
    Chance to get on an annual trip with the company

Cons

Recruitment can be quite stressful and isn't for everyone, however I wouldn't work for any other recruitment company.

Advice to Management

Options for more training for the experienced Consultant / Account Manager

7. "Too KPI focused!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Too interested in cutting costs and analysing KPI's

Advice to Management

Make it a nice place to work

8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Lorien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lorien Resourcing is a great place to work, they provide you with all the training and tools you require to succeed in your career. There is a clear message from the CEO and Senior Management and the staff are really benefiting from this. The salary / benefits / commission is fair and there is a clear career path. Work colleagues quickly become friends, I would definitely recommend Lorien to others.

Cons

There are no negatives of working for Lorien,

Advice to Management

More of the same please,

9. "Professional recruitment company with great working environment"

I have been working at Lorien full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lorien is a great place to work, with competitive basic salaries and strong commission structure. There is a very clear vision for the company and that message is translated from the top down across the business. However what sets Lorien apart is it's people, there are some extremely talented individuals at all levels. Lorien really does feel like a family with everyone willing each other to succeed and be the best they can be.

Cons

Long hours are part and parcel of the recruitment business, so additional incentives for early Friday finishes or extra days holiday would be a good recognition of the hard work we all put in

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business and recognising the great talent in the organisation

10. "Great Recruitment Company to work for"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Lorien full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lorien have got the balance just right. With strong values from the CEO down, Lorien provides a great working environment, the training and tools required to do the job, a fair basic salary with excellent commission and a social responsibility to candidates, clients and the charities that it supports. The monthly, quarterly and annual incentives are fantastic and fosters a real family feeling, something that most other company's of Lorien's size don't have. I've been here for a number of years and would definitely recommend it as a good place to work.

Cons

There really aren't many negatives about working at Lorien. Most staff will work a late night every couple of weeks but this is to cover off the volume of roles coming through to us.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The team culture is strong and works well but there's still scope for individual's to thrive. Keep on promoting from within as this builds loyalty from staff.