Lorien Reviews | Glassdoor

Claire Marsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best of both worlds"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

The edinburgh office is small enough that it has that family feel while you have the benefits of working for a larger company

I worked with some of my favourite people here and genuinely had fun/motivating/hilarious times almost every day because of that. You need that in the highs and lows of recruitment.

In my team, we worked really closely without the dog-eat-dog competitiveness you get from other recruitment companies. I think this team spirit is echoed in other offices too.

Great, inspiring leadership from the CEO. There is a real lack of hierarchy in lorien and this comes from the top down

Work life balance is really good, you work hard when there are deadlines and stay late if needs be but you are not working from home or trying to catch up in your downtime. It's also always a team effort.

Cons

There are limited paths of progression as there can only be so many 'account managers'. It's something Lorien are at least aware of and tackling though
    The kind of money you make can hugely depend on the luck of which account you are put on

Advice to Management

The changes being made along with the rebranding with cultural values are fantastic, keep up the good work in making Lorien a forward thinking recruitment company. make sure this resonates across all regions and create engagement with all employees.
    Things may have changed since I left but perhaps widen the scope of your incentives to include treats outside of work and non-drinking activities. It may be more appealing to quiet characters.

2. "Great team ethos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Lorien full-time

Pros

- Great environment
    - Plenty of support
    - Given time to master your trade
    - Learn on the job and formally
    - Flexible working hours

Cons

- Career map not as clear it could be
    - could do with updating the IT systems

Advice to Management

If you say you are going do something or implement something ensure that you stick to it and deliver upon it.

3. "Excellent people and comm opportunities"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Lorien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a real family feel and particularly in the office I worked in its a team atmosphere and the team goal that is important. Very different to other agencies where KPIs or sales targets can be key. Really awesome people that I have stayed in touch with and some great accounts to be working on in the recruitment industry. Great CEO.
    Great comm structure and opportunity, very unique!

Cons

Not many - at times you will need to stay late but all in your own self-interest for commission and realistically these late nights don't happen often.
    Incentives did tend to be work/booze based when I was there so if thats not your thing it may not work for you
    I found career opportunities/growth were favourable to me but it can be difficult in a small office give the growth opportunities to all that deserve

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you're going with the company as well as keeping and strengthening the family atmosphere. Seem like an exciting place to be at the moment!

4. "Professional recruitment company with great working environment"

I have been working at Lorien full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lorien is a great place to work, with competitive basic salaries and strong commission structure. There is a very clear vision for the company and that message is translated from the top down across the business. However what sets Lorien apart is it's people, there are some extremely talented individuals at all levels. Lorien really does feel like a family with everyone willing each other to succeed and be the best they can be.

Cons

Long hours are part and parcel of the recruitment business, so additional incentives for early Friday finishes or extra days holiday would be a good recognition of the hard work we all put in

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business and recognising the great talent in the organisation

5. "Very good"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Nice location. Good atmosphere. Not your stereotypical cut throat sales place. Drinks on a Friday. Good opportunity to progress with the company. Other offices in other cities. Good training.

Cons

Old computer systems. in house application is not fit for 2016. Office is too cold.

Advice to Management

Update computer. Update computer systems. Fix the central heating.

6. "I worked here for 4 years"

I worked at Lorien full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere and incentives

Cons

The pay wasn't very good

Advice to Management

Increase pay

7. "Excellent company"

Pros

Working at Lorien gave me an excellent grounding in Contracting and was great fun

Cons

No pool table in the break out area when I left!

8. "Great place to Kick off your carreer in recruitment ...."

Current Employee - Resourcer in City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Resourcer in City of London, England (UK)

Pros

Lorien is a brilliant place to start your career off in recruitment because they offer an excellent training programme on technologies and recruitment best practise. I was lucky to have a very supportive manager / director who allowed me to take time off when my mother had cancer.
    *Family environment where everyone will try and help you out instead of stab you in your back compared to other agencies .

Cons

*It normal takes about for three years to get promoted from Resourcer to Account Manager on the corporate account side depending on your manager.
    *Commission for resourcers on the corporate account side is poor compared to other companies .

Advice to Management

You need a clear and Enhanced career path for your employees.