Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan
Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Work life balance, 9/80 schedule (in 24 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, opportunity to work into placement instead of solely relying on prior education (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • very small town at a remote area (in 20 reviews)

• Next largest town is Santa Fe - 35 miles away; Albuquerque (in 16 reviews)

1. "Lots of training for recent graduates"

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very positive workforce, people like their jobs. Lots of people (perhaps even most) plan to work here until retirement. Pretty good work/life balance. Very active and outdoorsy people. Lots of encouragement to do on-the-job training and career development, such as tuition reimbursement and seminars/lectures offered at work. Very good job security.

Cons

Work can be slow. Sometimes don't have enough work to fill hours. Many positions lack direction, in terms of career development.

Advice to Management

Help early career staff with development. Tell them where you see their path leading and how to succeed at that.

2. "Nuclear Operations Supervisor at Los Alamos National Laboratory"

Current Employee - Nuclear Shift Operations Manager in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Nuclear Shift Operations Manager in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, opportunity to work into placement instead of solely relying on prior education.

Cons

Only major employer in the area. Must work at the Laboratory, in order to subsist.

"My thoughts on LANL"

Former Employee - Information Security Specialist in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Information Security Specialist in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BENEFITS: Are great. Free vision, dental, basic life insurance (equal to 1 year of salary). I have 20/20 vision and had vision insurance for the hell of it. Retirement is great -- they no longer do pensions, however I got a 3.5% unmatched employer contribution to my 401k and they match 100% beyond that up to 6% of my salary. I believe I accrued 3 weeks of vacation a year, about 15 paid holidays, and then sick leave. It also does not seem uncommon to have unpaid leave approved if you want to take a few months off or something -- I think that depends on your management. Work/life balance is great. They have a variety of work schedules (9/80 being the most popular -- 80 hours in 9 days, then every other Friday off). PPO and high deductible healthcare option; I couldn't figure out a way to make the high deductible plan cost effective even though my medical expenses were low (your miles may vary). PPO was great: great premiums, low deductibles, and decent copay.
    The surrounding Jemez mountains are phenomenally beautiful. Any science/technology job here will be impressive on a resume. Top tier minds. Apparently the city of Los Alamos has the highest concentration of Nobel laureates per capita in the world. Or so I heard.
    PAY/PAY RAISES: People here are generally compensated well. Go look at the HR page -- they list a salary range for each posted position. I will say that a lot of the pay bands don't make sense in relation to each other. For example, cyber security professionals are worth more on the market than sys admins, though IIRC, they are both in the same paybands. I got a 5.5% pay raise my first year and 7.5% my second. In my exit interview I was told I was about to be promoted and get another bump had I not left. My management loved me and was able to compensate accordingly. This is probably not representative of the lab as a whole. I know of people who reported they had gotten almost nothing during the same time period. Furthermore, my initial salary was good to start with.
    COWORKERS: Loved my coworkers. They were great. Nothing but positive things to say here; your miles may vary obviously.
    COOPERATE CULTURE: National Labs tend to be laid back. People are pretty stringent about working 40 hours a week (this ain't no startup!). Dress is casual. Tshirt, jeans, and tennis shoes are common; business casual is about as formal as it gets. I have now worked for two national labs and collaborated with three others -- they all seem to be pretty similar in terms of culture.
    OVERALL: I would definitely be open to returning to LANL some day. In fact when I decided to make a move, LANL was my number 1 choice for employment. The issues that caused me to leave were not with LANL, nor my coworkers. Rather dissatisfaction with my role and inability to move laterally within LANL. I would DEFINITELY recommend working at LANL (if you can tolerate living in Los Alamos) and if not LANL then one of the other National Labs.

Cons

Disclaimer: I worked extensively with lab IT and IT/business management. Mission is different though might have some commonalities. I encountered Politics, politics, politics. It seems people have high job security and are paid well (read: bad employees who are unable to acquire better jobs never leave). During my time at LANL I dealt with *way too many people* who would write and say things that were simply incoherent and/or irrational. Job security can be a double edged sword. Further some top talent is hesitant to come to Los Alamos due to the isolated nature of the Lab.
    BUREAUCRACY: The bureaucracy is mind numbing -- this is largely a function of NNSA and federal oversight/regulatory environment. I now work at ORNL and the regulatory environment is *much* lighter.
    NNSA: Seriously, NNSA is filled with a bunch of buffoons. Go read NNSA's glassdoor reviews if you don't believe me. I worked with NNSA, NNSA contractors, and other NNSA M&Os about as much as any LANL employee ever would -- NNSA constantly gets in the way of mission in ways that are irrational and adds no value. The other M&O's reported the same things and NNSA contractors expressed frustration with the Feds. I once had a conversation with one of LANL's weapons designers and he compared NNSA to a bunch of neanderthals. They add a layer of completely, totally, and utterly mindless bureaucracy. Without a shadow of a doubt NNSA is successful in its mission to ensure the safety, security, and effectiveness of the United State's enduring stockpile exclusively because the M&Os are so effective. They are successful despite themselves.
    LOS ALAMOS: I was walking around downtown one day around noon and did not see a human for about 2-3 minutes. Weird place with a strange sort of vibe. Restaurant selection is limited and consistently remarkably average in terms of quality. Limited selection of stores considering the population of the town. Needless to say, this is not the place to go if you want a night life. Real estate/Apartments are expensive considering Los Alamos is in the middle of nowhere (land is limited on the mesa). Apartments are difficult to find (again limited space), specifically during the summer during intern season. Houses are nearly impossible to buy. That said, some of the land lords I spoke with said they reserve apartments for full time lab employees willing to sign a 6 month or 1 year lease. It took me about a week to find an apartment, with move in 3 weeks later (I am full time). If you are an intern, one land lord told me that her intern waiting list starts in February for May apartments. Plan accordingly, or if nothing else understand you might have to commute from Espanola or Sante Fe.
    HIRING PROCESS AND HR: Don't expect the hiring process to be faster than 4 months. Don't quit your job before your offer letter arrives. *Every* time estimate I was given was wrong and ended up getting postponed.

Advice to Management

I'm not arrogant enough to think I know how to run a complicated organization like LANL. IMO Lab management on the whole is pretty effective at delivering on its mission; some of the business/IT groups: not so much.

4. "Post Doc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Los Alamos, NM

Pros

world class research environment. High-standard research

Cons

located on a mountain, a little remote

5. "Post Bacc Researcher"

Former Intern - Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Intern - Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent mentor program to aid in transitioning to real world applications of degree.

Cons

It can be a slow pace work environment.

6. "Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Scientist IV in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Scientist IV in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, beautiful location, good benefits, job security. Get to work with latest technology. Able to attend conferences and training

Cons

Small town. Need to travel to Albuquerque for flights. Not a lot of choices for shopping and restaurant. Dusty in summertime and people develop allergies

Advice to Management

Great job

7. "Postdoctoral Research Associate"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good salary compare to other placess, very good support financially and academically, secure and very good outdoors

Cons

very restricted on many things. administration is not very research friendly/. there is no much academic freedom. many exchange and communications between academia . but not enough. it is not near many good insitutes like both coasts.

Advice to Management

It is so because of the type of lab it is. I have no idea how that will change. maybe that's the trade offs

"Mechanical Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - SULI Mechanical Engineering in Condon, MT
    Former Intern - SULI Mechanical Engineering in Condon, MT

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The division and group I worked at in LANL really cared about its employees. My mentor was amazing, and he had us doing real work that was value adding to the company. Pay was good and travel expenses were compensated for to relocate. And as a government job, paid holidays and other benefits are pretty sweet. For interns, I hear that LANL is hit or miss. Some students were paper pushers and coffee couriers, but not my division. This was a great place for me to develop my professional skills as an intern and learn a lot.

Cons

As a governmental laboratory, it can be easy for some to become very complacent and just ride on the shoulders of others. This can be a cancerous environment, and with it being a government lab, it is also very difficult to truly fire someone. Usually bad workers get transferred to a different division instead. This is a little sad, although I didn't see much of it with the group I worked with. More stories than anything.

Advice to Management

Less job security would lead to better performance overall, but a balance is still necessary.

9. "LANL"

Current Employee - Technician in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Technician in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Great Benefits

Cons

Hard to advance into better paying jobs

10. "HPC Intern"

Former Intern - HPC in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Intern - HPC in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best of mentors. He went way beyond his call of duty. Couldn't be better.
    The knowledge is never ending there. There are experts in so many avenues.
    Endless talks to soak in.
    Excellent student involvement.
    Pay is great.
    Scenery is to notch.
    Recommend to any student.
    Everyone's always available to talk.

Cons

Nearest real town is about 40 minutes away (but the small town feel is actually kinda cool).

Advice to Management

Don't know enough to comment