Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews

Updated March 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Nearest real town is about 40 minutes away (but the small town feel is actually kinda cool) (in 19 reviews)

• Next largest town is Santa Fe - 35 miles away; Albuquerque (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Student Internship Opportunity"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Student in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Student in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for a technical internship

Cons

Not any cons to mention

"Good place to do research but not a good place to develop your career"

Pros

Government benefits; give you space to discover areas you are passionate about.

Cons

Boring life, promotion is not transparent

Advice to Management

More transparency and guides for promotions.

"Great introduction to scientific research"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to work for a fantastic research group as a biostatistics consultant. I learned a lot about clinical research. Also, there are lots of places nearby to enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and biking.

Cons

Not much night life in the area, even if you go up to Santa Fe (45 min away).

"Great place for career, but limited by being a government lab"

Former Employee - Student Intern in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Los Alamos, NM

Pros

- Very strong student program
    - Lots of computational resources
    - Talented and motivated staff

Cons

- Sensitive to budget constraints
    - Lots of red tape, training, and security constraints

6. "Graduate Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Urbana, IL

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting-edge science, Intelligent People, Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

remote area, old buildings,

"Excellent science, wonderful colleagues, laid-back academic environment"

Pros

The frequency of seminars is similar to a university environment. Scientists produce an impressive number of high quality research papers. Lower level management is very supportive of staff and postdocs. Safety rules and staff in charge of those rules are congenial, trying to be helpful rather than searching for ways to penalize you. There are a number of unique facilities (such as the high magnetic field lab) that make LANL competitive in the fundamental sciences.

Cons

Very poor infrastructure, hard to get funds for equipment so most equipment is old making it diifficult to compete with universities, no cleanroom, high overhead costs

Advice to Management

Work on improving the infrastructure and finding ways to offer lab start-up funds, specifically for equipment

"Laid Back but Potentially Challenging Work in a Remote Location"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

Coming from the civilian sector, I was near maxing out my engineering career in the area of compensation, but coming to work for LANL, I entered essentially at the bottom of the pay band there without a change in the numerical value of my pay: leaving plenty of room to grow! This is probably one of the highest salary positions I have ever encountered.

The job is fairly low-stress. My supervisor is very stern regarding the timeliness and quality with which we are expected to achieve but he still understands that situations are sometimes beyond my or our team's control. We have missed an incredible number deadlines on our project and things seem to worsen by the day but since it is without immediate severe consequence, it doesn't make me dread going to work each day like I have in previous jobs.

Outside work, the area around Los Alamos is gorgeous, it makes the long commute bearable since there is always something to look at. For outdoorsy people like myself, this place is basically a mecca: I have not had a single weekend or week-night here where I felt bored. Additionally, the weather is incredibly mild... it does not hot but not terribly so like the SE US nor does it get incredibly cold in the winter like the Midwest or high northern Rockies. Los Alamos and White Rock seem like nice places to raise a family.

Cons

Los Alamos as a city is very remote, basically 1.5-2 hours from Albuquerque, the nearest major city with greater than 70k people. Anywhere within the range, the rent is fairly high for a dumpy place. If you're single when you come here, you're likely going to stay single since locals seem to dislike intellectuals / lab employees.

The training they provide is an absolute joke and not a priority for the laboratory. I have had maybe 3 days total of "training time" in the last 7 months of employment here, which was basically a review of procedures over Power Point.

Processes are so counter-intuitive that it is difficult to accomplish anything since when your work advances to the next tier of reviews it gets returned for minor issues... only to go through the approval process again. I find myself getting notes back essentially saying "your TPS report is missing its cover-sheet." Right. Let me get right on that! Yet I routinely find severe technical errors in many of approved documents...

I read in another review that this is basically "work welfare", while I'd like to be able to disagree with this assessment, I cannot. There are so many personnel working at this facility which are contributing little to no value to the mission of the laboratory. Another way to describe it is that these personnel are overhead, spending a dollar of the tax-payer's money to figure out how a dollar was spent; yes, exactly like that - yet we're still hiring like crazy! We don't need so many people!

While I really like this job and area, in the back of my mind I feel like massive layoffs are just around the corner. Considering this is the major source of liquid cash in the area, I'm very concerned about the effect a massive layoff would have on real estate prices.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for individual contributors to change/optimize processes. With how many barriers/red tape exists, employees are forced to work under rules that are many times unreasonable and onerous.

"Fantastic Opportunities Await You!!"

Current Employee - Licensing Associate in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Licensing Associate in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Good Money
    Important Work
    Good Benefits
    Good People
    Flexible Schedule (9-80, and often 4-40 schedules are offered)
    Beautiful Environment (I'm referring to Los Alamos- I can't guarantee how pretty your work space will be!!)

Cons

Housing. It's especially difficult and expensive for home buyers, but even renting is very limited and expensive.

Commuting. A majority of employees commute. From White Rock- 15 min, Santa Fe- 45 min, and Albuquerque- 90 min.

Work-Life Balance. I almost don't want to put this down because LANL does everything it can to help with this issue. However, perspective employees need to be made aware that work-life balance is difficult while working at LANL. This is largely due to a long commute for most employees (1.5 hrs RT for Santa Fe and 3 hrs RT for ABQ).

Advice to Management

You're headed in a good direction in many ways- especially Hiring, Development Opportunities, and Employee Wellness. Keep it up!

10. "post doc"

Pros

interesting work; work with a lot of world class talents every day, no traffic, good life-work balance.

Cons

a bit isolated; very security orientated; less competitive than the good old days; limited career choices outside the lab in the area.

11. "The life at Los Alamos"

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a place of mountains with nature outdoor life. I enjoy hiking, skiing and many activities. The research goes well and I often involves in many collaborations.

Cons

The management company is some how very inefficient. For example, I ordered an desktop for the purpose of my computation work with GPU. It turns out the lab purchase team took 3 months and told me that the model cannot be reached. After that I have to re-order another one and waiting for another 3 months.

Advice to Management

The IT groups for helping scientific computing is not efficient. Usually, I don't get well helped from the IT guys and they are averagely lack of knowledge of our computing problem.