Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to be"

I worked at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce full-time

Pros

Super smart people that care about their work. Employer really invests in staff.

Cons

You have to fit into the chamber structure and opportunity is what you make of it. There are not clear career ladders - due to size. Experience can really vary depending on department.

2. "Great intern experience - public policy division working on impactful initiatives affecting the greater LA community"

Former Intern - Public Policy in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Public Policy in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns work on meaningful projects and write advocacy letters on key initiatives from the local to federal levels. Opportunity to work with many leaders

Cons

Interns are not always busy - sometimes no projects or work available. The employees could offer interns more projects as they come up to keep the experience active

Advice to Management

create a more structured intern experience

3. "Look Else Where"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free coffee
    -Close to freeway
    -Gary Tobben, CEO

Cons

Little to zero room for growth. Advancement is based on political hierarchy. There is no uniform policy for advance leaving the opportunity for employees who have been there for 1 year to get promoted over employees who have been there for 5.
    Ask for what you want in the beginning because its your only opportunity to get what you want, Once you're hired no one cares about you only the day you leave--and then management will offer you something to stay but by that time you will be so upset--you'll just leave.

Their mission far superceeds their ability to hire the staff to move it. The majority of the staff is overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

1. Install a uniform employee advancement policy that evaluates performance and time served so it's fair.
    2. VP's and above need to attend a culture sensitivity class.
    3. Don't wait for your employees to leave to give them what they want and/or need or deserve

4. "Coordinator"

Pros

Great experience and networking! Great job to expand your horizons entering the workforce.

Cons

Business as usual is a common theme. Not much room to grow if you are seeking to advance your career.

Advice to Management

A for effort.

5. "Nice Place to Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

stable
    respected
    family oriented
    civic institution
    People generally work hard and enjoy working with each other

Cons

corporate work environment
    dated office
    small organization with only so many options for advancement

6. "First Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience at the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce.
    I enjoyed attending the events that they hosted and I got to gain great work experience.

-Very organized culture
    -Clear expectations
    -Great learning experience for an intern

Cons

I was still in college during my internship and there was a little bit of an learning curve for me to transition into the work process.

Advice to Management

Overall, great job. Keep it up.

Sometimes it feels isolated to be in your cubicle all day. Maybe organizing Friday team lunch will help cultivated a more engaging culture.

7. "I was a Silver Ring Member for few years, was active in several committees...Very proud of these years indeed...I miss"

Former Intern - Senior Architect and Planner/AIA in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Senior Architect and Planner/AIA in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Met with the best; felt like participating in planning the future....allowed interactive feed back with my projects, until the economy declined, and I had to close my architectural firm around 2010

Cons

There is not enough time of funds in my personal account to contribute to my membership anymore! But I will not hesitate to rejoin when things change

Advice to Management

Reach out more to "Grassroots", Increase International Activity (not just Pacific Rim)

8. "Good experience for emerging policy and political staffers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Respected business advocacy organization, ability to work on a wide-range of public policy issues, great access to business leaders and elected officials.

Cons

Non-profit salary is a downside and raises are few and far between. Health benefits are just OK. Can get stuffy at times

Advice to Management

pay a higher salary and be more consistent with recognizing performance with enhancements. Stop being so old school with office culture.

9. "Good place to start when you are moving to LA and like politics"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

No age discrimination. Good benefits. Good place if you are at the end of your career. They really care about the wellbeing of their staff members.

Cons

Bad financial management. Soft leadership. Tendency to waste membership funds for vanity projects.

Advice to Management

Don't think the exchange of light bulbs will solve financial problems. Be honest about management intentions.