Los Angeles Metro Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Los Angeles Metro CEO Phillip A. Washington
Phillip A. Washington

Pros
  • Great benefits and flexibility for all employees (in 9 reviews)

• it has very good benefits and as a government agency the job is very stable (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Your just a badge number to managment (in 3 reviews)

• There is no individual recognition for the hard work you do every day (in 2 reviews)

1. "It pays the bills"

Current Employee - Safety in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Safety in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time

Pros

It's a steady pay check, pays the bills.

Cons

No room for promotion. It's hard to promote.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people with no degrees to positions that require a degree!

2. "L.A. MTA Bus Operator"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are good, you can choose the division you work at or become a supervisor if you want.

Cons

If you have low seniority be prepared to work all holidays and less desirable routes.

"formerly METRO's Entry Level Training Program"

Current Employee - Transportation Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Transportation Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, work environment and real world experience

Cons

Very political, nepotism(good if you know someone of course), no benefits, no job security for this position despite the fact that the program was made to train the person for eventual employment.

Advice to Management

Keep these employees within the company, they have dedicated 2 years of their lives learning and performing their duties just to be let go. Although this does provide great working experience, La Metro has prestige enough that most Associates would not want to leave if given the choice so why not take advantage of that loyalty and the fact that they have proven themselves to be able to work without incident while performing what is required of them. Unless they get a major complaint or a write up I do not see why this position should be a revolving door for temporary employees. Keeping them around is cheaper for the company too because they save money from the lower pay grade and lack of health benefits, along with what comes with hiring someone new. This is best for Metro and the employee so why shouldn't they be kept for future job openings, the program should focus on integrating these associates instead of getting rid of them.

4. "No room for promotions! If you are a suck up you scored!"

Former Employee - Geberal Clerk III in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Geberal Clerk III in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, hours are good depending on the department. Some locations are easy to get to if you are close to downtown LA.

Cons

If you suck up to management maybe you will move up. If you're not black then good luck because blacks are favored here. Unions are a joke! They promote useless people and don't go off of work performance.

Advice to Management

Clean house!!!!

5. "Engineering Associate"

Current Employee - Engineering Trainee, Engineering Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Design-Build Project Opportunities with LA Metro

Cons

Not much upward mobility or growth. City of Los Angeles has better training opportunities and better salary.

Advice to Management

Give Employees better training opportunities and promotional advancement. Their Entry Level Training Program trains people, but does not offer future employment. Need a rotation program.

6. "Being a Bus Operator sucks"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good health benefits and the pay isn't so bad. Pay for your for schooling.

Cons

No one cares about the driver. Management nor the supervisors. The bus breaks down and they still want you to drive it. NO open opportunities to move up!

Advice to Management

Have more job opportunities open for drivers, then just to be a supervisor. Not just for TCU employees

7. "Administrative Intern"

Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Metro part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free employee rides and great cafeteria.

Cons

Some depts are quite boring and too relaxed.

Advice to Management

None.

"Bus Operator, only do it if you REALLY REALLY NEED A JOB!"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well, I have been fortunate to never have to work on the weekends due to me staying a part time Operator.

Cons

Being a bus Operator, you are nothing more than just your badge number even though we are the ones who keep the company afloat. I have been spit on, attacked, threatened repeatedly by passengers and the company does nothing to make you the employee feel safe. It was gotten to the point where i am literally scared to go to work everyday because God knows what's going to happen to me next. Some of the management stinks. I was being harassed for almost a year from my division manager had to file and EEO claim on her and repeated calls to the union and the end result was to send me to another division when she was the one harassing me! God forbid you get sick outside of work and have to take time off, I had surgery last year over the summer and once I returned to work I received a note stating I was on the verge of suspension because of my surgery I had HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT EVEN LEGAL! The supervisors think they are cops, they talk down on bus operators as if we're children. I am currently looking for work else where so I can get the hell out of MTA. I can't stress this enough DO NOT apply as a bus Operator unless you really need a job it's not worth the stress!

Advice to Management

Treat your bus operators better and maybe people would be more excited about coming to work.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Environmental Compliance and Services Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO has made a huge difference! I feel much more appreciated as an employee because of the initiatives he has enacted (i.e. merit based raises).

Cons

Still underpaid based on market value

Advice to Management

When executive management is reviewed yearly, their staff should have a say in his/her evaluation.

10. "Service Attendant"

Current Employee - Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Experience, Flexible Work Schedule, Good Pay, Great Benefits: 401k & 457k, Dental Care, Vision Care, Unionized Job, Paid Leave, Paid Sick Days, A lot of Overtime, Labor Work is not too harsh, Free Metro Rides, Raise every once in a while

Cons

Loud, Work Outside, Dirty Buses, Sometimes buses arrive with Vomit Pee or Poop, Graffiti on Buses, Place is ran by Seniority, Union Fees are always going up