Los Angeles Metro Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Los Angeles Metro CEO Phillip A. Washington
Phillip A. Washington

Pros
  • Great benefits and flexibility for all employees (in 9 reviews)

• Tuition reimbursement, superb benefits, transportation subsidy, leadership opportunities available (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You're just another operator and badge number (in 3 reviews)

• As-Needed" or part-time hours only count as experience *per hour*, ie 3 years of (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrative Intern"

Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Metro part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free employee rides and great cafeteria.

Cons

Some depts are quite boring and too relaxed.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Bus Operator, only do it if you REALLY REALLY NEED A JOB!"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well, I have been fortunate to never have to work on the weekends due to me staying a part time Operator.

Cons

Being a bus Operator, you are nothing more than just your badge number even though we are the ones who keep the company afloat. I have been spit on, attacked, threatened repeatedly by passengers and the company does nothing to make you the employee feel safe. It was gotten to the point where i am literally scared to go to work everyday because God knows what's going to happen to me next. Some of the management stinks. I was being harassed for almost a year from my division manager had to file and EEO claim on her and repeated calls to the union and the end result was to send me to another division when she was the one harassing me! God forbid you get sick outside of work and have to take time off, I had surgery last year over the summer and once I returned to work I received a note stating I was on the verge of suspension because of my surgery I had HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT EVEN LEGAL! The supervisors think they are cops, they talk down on bus operators as if we're children. I am currently looking for work else where so I can get the hell out of MTA. I can't stress this enough DO NOT apply as a bus Operator unless you really need a job it's not worth the stress!

Advice to Management

Treat your bus operators better and maybe people would be more excited about coming to work.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Environmental Compliance and Services Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO has made a huge difference! I feel much more appreciated as an employee because of the initiatives he has enacted (i.e. merit based raises).

Cons

Still underpaid based on market value

Advice to Management

When executive management is reviewed yearly, their staff should have a say in his/her evaluation.

5. "Service Attendant"

Current Employee - Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Experience, Flexible Work Schedule, Good Pay, Great Benefits: 401k & 457k, Dental Care, Vision Care, Unionized Job, Paid Leave, Paid Sick Days, A lot of Overtime, Labor Work is not too harsh, Free Metro Rides, Raise every once in a while

Cons

Loud, Work Outside, Dirty Buses, Sometimes buses arrive with Vomit Pee or Poop, Graffiti on Buses, Place is ran by Seniority, Union Fees are always going up

6. "Senior manager, transportation planning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility for all employees

Cons

Bureaucratic system is quite stifling.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape please

7. "Metro Los Angeles service attendant assessment."

Former Employee - Senior Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Service Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, and medical benefits, and free metro rides for current employees.

Cons

If your an illegal substance abuser, I'd suggest employment elsewhere. The transportation department is one of a few (including NASA) that requires you to pass a dug screening. So again either clan yourself up to better yourself, or try McDonald's.

Advice to Management

The wording on the assessment for some of the questions dose not exactly coincide with the nature of the question itself. For example there is a question pertaining to vehicle batteries. In the question what should be "battery acid" is repeatedly referred to as "water"...to which it is known. Water, and batteries don't mix.

"Racist nepotism"

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about metro other than their not caring for disabled customers

Cons

If you are not black stay away metro favors black people over other races most black employees are fair but some are very racist management looks the other way my advise stay away

Advice to Management

Clean house especially the training dept at oci

9. "Bus operator"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money and meet some good co-workers. Close to home and the shifts are good for the most part. There are a few good supervisors.

Cons

Not willing to help certain employees there is alot of problems there. Attitudes from supervisors and management favoritism among employees and supervisors is the worst.

Advice to Management

No favoritism among employees and supervisors just people who have a good working relationship with no problem. Happy employee means happy supervisors as well as happy company and service.

"ELTP"

Current Employee - Eltp in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Eltp in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great for recent graduates. guaranteed 40 hours. receive health insurance.

Cons

no upward mobility. you're treated like a full time employee but without the extra benefits. no pay raises.

Advice to Management

actually talk to the trainees about their position and how they feel things could be made better.

"Rail Electronic Communications Inspector"

Current Employee - Rail Electronic Communications Inspector in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Rail Electronic Communications Inspector in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Metro (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security, Excellent Health and Retirement Benefits

Cons

Seniority rules, therefore one may work an unwanted shift until you build seniority - which could take a couple of years. F.Y.I. Metro is known as a "Drop Dead Program", meaning employees rarely retire unless they die first......