Los Angeles Newspaper Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and friendly people

Cons

Less Pay even after multiple years of service

2. "Fair Experience"

Former Employee - Multi Media Account Executive in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Multi Media Account Executive in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities to learn and get extra training is readily available.
    - Management is supportive.

Cons

- Individuals are cut throat and competitive, and that behavior is encouraged.
    - Expect for other sales reps to attempt to take accounts from each other.
    - Communication between Ad Ops and Sales Team is extremely poor.

Advice to Management

Communication between various teams needs to improve greatly. Clients being lost due to ad ops errors is unacceptable. The competition between sales reps is very confusing and discouraging to potential clients.

3. "A daily struggle"

Former Employee - Editorial Staff in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Staff in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly good people working together to get through the day-to-day struggles of putting out a chain of newspapers with an ever-dwindling staff.
    The main boss, who was a real jerk (it would let me write what I really felt about him) has left and given a breath of fresh air to the staff.
    Company started to do a small profit sharing bonus each year, if numbers were hit.

Cons

Small staff keeps getting smaller. We used to put out nine papers with as many as 6-8 people (which was a huge cut from what it was a decade or so before) in our section. By the time I left, it was down to three on some nights.
    Small writing staff negatively impacts local coverage, which is down to a couple of pages daily.
    Universal copy desk a universal mess. Many "news" editors don't know much about sports, so they struggle when doing sports. Many "sports" editors don't give a crap about news. So, when they crossed over, it didn't make for a happy or well-run night.
    Still far behind on the online curve.
    Wages are below the average.

Advice to Management

When asking your employees to do more with less, show them you at least give two poops about them. Don't make they feel like they are working as the guys who walk behind the elephants at the circus.

"Amazing People"

Former Employee - Advertising in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Advertising in West Covina, CA

Pros

The people that you work with are hard-working, intelligent and tenacious! It's a great atmosphere for the young and hardy. The newspapers' journalism staff is mostly excellent, in both the daily and weekly newspapers. Award winning articles come out of these newspapers.

Cons

LANG is doing it's best to thrive under very harsh circumstances, with newspapers getting smaller and smaller and the huge competition with other digital sources. They continue to downsize, in some areas, I think unnecessarily and only in desperation to cut costs.

Advice to Management

The atmosphere, at some point, needs to be stop feeling like, "You're Next!" I think I heard every employee at some point use the expression, "well, when it's my turn . . . " And everyone constantly talked about their Plan B. The conversation needs to start being about STAYING, succeeding, why they think the papers and the company are doing GREAT. That's what I wish for the rest of my friends that are still at LANG. HR, Management, the VP's that are still there need to do this. There is too much time mental energy being spent on "Am I next?" Unhealthy atmosphere. Get some positive energy flowing! And be sincere.

"AE Review"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Torrance, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medium sized co. at Torrance Location. Great if you need to find someone to help you accomplish a task out of your area of expertise

Cons

Your manager can color your daily existence. While most of the time I had 2 great managers, one came in and made everyones lives miserable. He was later let go for harassment. Management brought him in from another co. to "move the needle", knowing full well there were harassment issues from the previous employer ( I know this because the hiring manager, myself and the person in question were all 3 from previous his- and the dirty secrets were not at all secret).

Advice to Management

Check references and pay attention to background red flags!

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Newspaper Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I first went to work there, this was the little engine that could, a company with limited resources that hired smart, talented people who took pride in their work and put out a product that far exceeded expectations considering the limited investment put into that product by upper management.

Cons

That pride has disappeared as the product has become completely watered down. Business is now done on a shoestring. Layoffs have decimated the newsroom. Bad management and a toxic work environment have taken care of the rest.

Advice to Management

You have some young, talented people. Nurture them and let them shine. Don't hold them responsible for competing with the Los Angeles Times when you don't give them a tenth of the resources Times reporters are given. And give those young, talented reporters a reason to believe they have a future there.

7. "A decent place to work, but the pay and benefits were poor."

Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

Freedom in story development is fair. A good starting job for a graduate who’s passionate about journalism. I say this because the local governments in The Sun’s coverage area are terribly corrupt. I great place for a young, energetic reporter to dig up dirt, expose malfeasance and build a name for themselves.

Cons

Pay and benefits are lousy.
    The paper is shrinking due to less advertising revenue which results in less space for quality, in-depth reporting. Expect to mostly write quick hitters.
    Morale is low and turnover is high because the newspaper is struggling to survive due to the overall decline of the newspaper industry.
    Due to reduced staffing levels you’ll find yourself having to work more weekends than you’d like.

Advice to Management

Focus more on in-depth reporting. Believe it or not, that's what people expect from quality newspapers. They're not interested in brief fluff pieces.

8. "Challenging industry, great comp plan"

Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lot's of products to sell, great income potential IF you're good, starvation if you're not.

Cons

Disconnection of programs between cross sell properties. Non-producers take too long to get rid of, which brings morale down. Ongoing layoffs and cost-cutting have compromised the ability to get things done. News is the core product - unfortunately the world out there doesn't seem to realize the importance of the watchdog role and the "news entertainment" broadcast and internet sources have gained market share, even when it's been shown they prematurely report often unconfirmed things - America wake up!

Advice to Management

Coordinate the communication between properties better. Instead of spreadsheet obsession, manage the people and the spreadsheet will improve.

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

Location is central and most of the people are great.

Cons

The industry is dying and management doesn't know how to save it

Advice to Management

Need to rethink the business model as newspapers can't do the same things they did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. Key word: WEB

10. "CS"

I have been working at Los Angeles Newspaper Group part-time

Pros

Never hire for full time, pay is minimum, you don't even have your own desk, no room to grow

Cons

Great people working here