Los Angeles Times Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2020

3.4
Los Angeles Times Executive Editor Norman Pearlstine (no image)
Norman Pearlstine
Pros
Cons
  • "Dying newspaper advertising insertion business, low morale, no raises and very low pay for wearing many extra hats(in 11 reviews)

• "Due to their well documented bankruptcy, there were major structural changes happening during that time(in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome first Experience"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Los Angeles Times full-time

Pros

Hard work, growth and good environment

Cons

Work by Commission and not payment monthly

September 27, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We’re glad to hear that working for the Los Angeles Times was such a great first experience. Currently, all sales employees, including inside sales, receive a base salary, paid bi-weekly, as well as incentive payments.

2. "loved the job"

Former Employee - News Reporter

I worked at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

low pay, had to work 3 jobs, tough life

3. "Growing pains"

Current Employee - Human Resources in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, ability to have an impact. Dedicated and mission-driven colleagues

Cons

Lean operation therefor working here can be overwhelming and projects can be rushed.

August 3, 2020Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience interning at the Los Angeles Times. We agree that different employees are motivated by different approaches. We try to remain mindful of that as we create our internship and employee programs, as well as our overall organizational culture. We hope that if you return as an employee someday you’ll be encouraged to do your best work.

4. "stable place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Times part-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable work environment and helpful managers

Cons

Only work couple of times a month

July 31, 2020Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experiences working at Los Angeles Times. We're glad to hear your managers were supportive.

5. "Brand on the up and up"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had a great team with a can-do attitude and wanted to take good risks to innovate.

Cons

Downside was that it took time for things to happen and there were multiple layers between sales and editorial that sometimes clogged the pipeline with prospects

6. "Great people, struggling to find new directions"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice people and everybody is trying to do the best for the company

Cons

Senior management not good at communications

October 7, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Los Angeles Times. We agree we are fortunate to work with some amazing people. We appreciate the comments about what’s not working. As we continue with our transformation as a locally-owned, privately-held company, we will continue working to improve how our organization runs and the culture for our employees.

7. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Pay, Good leadership

Cons

Lots of competition, product prices not the cheapest.

October 7, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the leadership and compensation while you were here. We appreciate the comments about expectations and understand it is challenging for everybody as we remain keenly focused on building a sustainable business for the future.

"Karma Is a Drag, Ain't It?"

1.0
    Former Employee - Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Walk ... no, run away from this place!

Cons

The reason why the Times is such a mess is because management never foresaw the next wave. It's like when people live in earthquake country and are shocked and surprised when one hits. "WHAT JUST HAPPENED? WHY IS MY HOUSE DESTROYED?!" It's because you live in earthquake country, dummy!

September 27, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

We’re sorry that your experience working at the company wasn’t more positive. The Los Angeles Times was returned to local ownership last year and is now a privately-held company. This has allowed for a period of investment, particularly in our journalism and in technology, and the management team is keenly focused on building a sustainable business.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

1.0
    Current Employee - Business in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's near the ocean and the building is new.

Cons

Often no parking, no real drinking water, no culture, no structure, no organization, irresponsible finances, misogyny, bigotry, sexism, racism, cultural appropriation, poor pay, overworked.

September 27, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. If you are currently an employee, please consider bringing these concerns to HR or, if applicable, your union representative so that they may be addressed. Many projects are underway to address items you have mentioned. Free parking is available to all employees and a new, convenient parking structure is under construction. Filtered drinking water, coffee and tea are also provided to employees. We have received hundreds of insightful responses to the two all-employee surveys conducted this year, and managers and HR have been collaborating over the summer on a comprehensive pay review. We’re concerned to hear about the cultural issues you have highlighted and would like to be able to work with you directly to address these. Please be assured that your HR Partner is always available to support you with any concerns you have and, if you’re not sure who to contact, details are available on the HR page of the Intranet.

10. "Not a bad place"

Current Employee - Lead Data Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles Times full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great coworkers - challenging technical problems

Cons

- politically motivated management - poor direction

September 9, 2019Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experiences as an employee at the Los Angeles Times. You may be glad to know that the company was returned to local ownership. There’s been significant investment in technology, with a new CMS and website that launched recently, and a focus on digital subscriptions.

Found 134 reviews