KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Los Angeles Times Executive Editor Kevin Merida
Kevin Merida

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Good overall environment

Nov 9, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, coworkers are easy to get along with and salary is fairly good for the market. A News Company being private and fairly well funded means less stress about losing your job.

Cons

Smaller team (which is also a Pro) but but limited places to be promoted.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Glad to hear you enjoy working with your team and have a good work/life balance. Thank you for your continued work and dedication!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Learn as much as possible

Oct 6, 2021 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great institution made of dedicated journalists and support staff.

Cons

Dedicated means showing up, learning as much as you can, going over every detail, and you've got to make sure you're really interested and passionate in the work.

Sr. Director Talent Management

We are passionate about what we do and want to thank you for your work and dedication during your internship with LA Times!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Great Ship, Worth the Ride!

Jun 21, 2022 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership is listening to what employees want and are using all their efforts to turn this ship around. The people we are hiring bring great energy and life into a ship that has been sitting still in the water for way too long. Managers in all departments are trying to do better and grow with new resources and new employees are being welcomed with realistic expectations. I feel lessons of the past have been learned by some and others hopefully will grow as well.

Cons

There are departments and people who are stuck in the past or in a way of doing business that is not innovative. This is changing but it is taking time. As in any big organization, not everyone is understanding when people make mistakes and this organization is not drama free (yet). But the new leadership is worth working for and waiting for change to keep coming.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! We appreciate your hard work in these past three years as we continue to learn and grow. We understand change is not always easy. Hearing about your positive experience and how the changes we are making are indeed making a difference is always good to hear. If you have any ideas for how we can continue to innovate, please let us know as we value everyone’s ideas on how to continue moving forward.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Jun 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice staff, good work to life balance, work from home options, room for growth

Cons

Sick days and vacation days are bundled under PTO together giving hourly workers less time off. Pay a bit lower than other companies

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and glad to hear you are having a positive experience as a colleague at the Los Angeles Times.

5. 1.0

Racist newsroom

Mar 14, 2022 - Journalist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay was decent but low for L.A. cost of living

Cons

The newsroom was toxic and racist.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about what you experienced. We do not tolerate racism or discrimination and we encourage you to report any behavior that may have contributed to a hostile work environment to our ethics hotline, either online by following this link (https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/80938/index.html ) or by phone toll-free at 844-510-1878.

6. 1.0

Reporter

Mar 7, 2022 - Reporter
    Business Outlook

Pros

None. Awful work culture, not organized, toxic and hostile environment

Cons

Toxic place to work. Stay away.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about what you experienced. We do not tolerate racism, discrimination, or other actions that create a hostile work environment, and we encourage you to report any such behavior that contributed to your experiences to our ethics hotline, either online by following this link (https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/80938/index.html ) or by phone toll-free at 844-510-1878.

7. 2.0

Poor leadership

Jan 26, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good coworkers. Unlimited PTO

Cons

The management is pretty poor on skill set which results in terrible strategy and completly terrible moral. There is also rampant favoritism , which is demoralizing.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about what you experienced. We are committed to developing all our employees including our management staff and are providing both management training and leadership coaching to support this growth.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not supportive environment

Jan 25, 2022 - Assistant to Editor-in-Chief in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice new building. But empty. Everyone remote.

Cons

People appear supportive but take actions based on finding flaws.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience and would encourage you to contact our HR department, as we would like to learn more about why your time here didn’t live up to your expectations and what we can do better. We wish you all the best.

9. 1.0

Bad Management

Dec 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved my coworkers - smartest people ever.

Cons

The management was not capable of dealing with anything.

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback.

10. 3.0

A mixed bag

Oct 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well-intentioned people and potential for significant impact

Cons

Poorly organized, lack of coherent vision

Sr. Director Talent Management

Thank you for this feedback. We wish you all the best.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 160 Reviews

Los Angeles Times Reviews FAQs

Los Angeles Times has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 190 reviews left anonymously by employees. 60% of employees would recommend working at Los Angeles Times to a friend and 50% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Los Angeles Times employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Los Angeles Times. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

60% of Los Angeles Times employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Los Angeles Times 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Los Angeles Times to be benefits, compensation, coworkers and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, senior leadership, career development.

Popular Careers with Los Angeles Times Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Los Angeles Times? Share Your Experiences

Los Angeles Times logo

Los Angeles Times Careers

Cover image for Los Angeles Times

About the Los Angeles Times The Los Angeles Times was purchased by Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong in June 2018. Under local ownership, The Times...More

• Careers
  • Benefits
  • Testimonials

Company Updates

Logo

196 days ago

Careers
We are excited to welcome Glenn Nano as the senior vice president of product innovation at the California Times, which includes the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune. Glenn will be building and leading product development teams that create user experiences that help people find stories and content they love, come back for and pay for. Prior to joining California Times, he was the product lead for Netflix Original Films and Documentaries until 2021, working at the intersection of product and content and leading the user experience of films across mobile, TV, and web apps. Previously, he co-led the subscriber growth product team at the New York Times as they strengthened their strategy and success in growing digital subscribers from 800,000 to 2.3 million between 2014 and 2017. Glenn hails from New York City and Long Island and has happily been planting roots in Los Angeles since 2017. He holds a bachelor’s degree in English from Harvard University.
Executive Team and Newsroom Leadership

Los Angeles Times photo of: Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong and staff members
Los Angeles Times photo of: Honoring the legacy of Kobe
Los Angeles Times photo of: 2019 Pulitzer Prize Celebration
Los Angeles Times photo of: LA Times Sign goes onto new El Segundo building
Los Angeles Times photo of: LA Times Washington Bureau at National Press Foundation Awards Dinner
Los Angeles Times photo of: Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong addresses the LA Times after his acquisition of the company