Los Angeles USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy
John Deasy

Pros
Cons
  • There are no benefits for 3 hour employees (in 16 reviews)

• Part time position for this job (in 15 reviews)

"The politics and lack of employee resources and support makes the district almost impossible to work for."

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, and vacation days.

Cons

Lack of teacher support from a site and district stand point

"teacher Social Worker"

Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker Teacher in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker Teacher in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits stability

Cons

terrible working conditions , dirty schools , demoralized employees

Advice to Management

negative morale affected employees

3. "Teachers Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours to work everyday

Cons

pay is not rewarding ultimately

"LAUSD shakes down ex employees for money"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the children I worked with and met some great families. Some of the teachers were excellent to work with as well.

Cons

Working at LAUSD was difficult and caused me to almost give up my career due to burn out. I left mid year because my family had to move and signed all exit paperwork/thought I was in good standing with LAUSD. They said nothing but positive things to me when I left. 4.5 years after my resignation was accepted I received a summons to go to small claims court for "overpayment of wages." I had never been contacted by them before and was shocked. LAUSD told to pay back almost $5000 that they had supposedly overpaid me. They harassed me by having me come to court several times by rescheduling the court date, knowing how hard it was for me to come and that it was a hardship on my family. They also lied and said that the 3 year statute of limitations would not apply to my case because they had a loophole. If LAUSD tries to sue you after you resign talk to the UTLA lawyer. If you fight them in court (almost no one does, they know how to intimidate ex employees including retirees) you will win if they are coming to you more than 3 years after you resigned. You are protected under Section 338 of the Code of Civil Procedures and collection of this "debt" is barred due to a 3 year statute of limitations. I was told my credit would be ruined if I fought back but the judge ruled in my favor as LAUSD was clearly breaking the law.

Advice to Management

Change your policies. Do not pay people before work is completed and then tell them almost 5 years later that you are taking them to court. It's not an acceptable way to treat people.

Former Employee - Teacher in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in South Gate, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation schedule and opportunities to earn extra money outside the traditional school year

Cons

Corrupt administration that does not perform investigations into allegations in a fair and legal manner

Advice to Management

Be fair, honest and transparent

"Bureaucratic Nightmare"

Current Employee - Educator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Educator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Helping high-needs children. Vacation time.

Cons

Everything else. Layers of bureaucracy. Top-down decision making. Directives that fluctuate every few weeks, months, years. Endless memos. Antiquated technology. Rigid colleagues.

Advice to Management

Stop managing in relation to fear of lawsuits.

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great kids, chance to make a difference, easy to be hired

Cons

Over crowding, chaos, corruption, testing excess, draconian administrators, disrespect, judas Union , payroll scams, dysfunction leadership, charter school inquisitions

Advice to Management

Face the music for your incompetence and ethical lapses, think of the damage you're creating in this community. Blow the whistle and e glad your white chalk crimes are rarely punished properly,

"K-6 substitute teacher"

Current Employee - Primary Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Primary Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love teaching kids and enjoy working with other teach teachers.

Cons

Administration and the union don't dare about hard working subs.

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students are a pleasure to educate and work with when provided adequate facilities, materials and meaningful classes.

Cons

Virtually every administrator I came in contact with was not qualified for the position they held. Lots of excuses about lack of materials or facilities to educate students and the excuses almost always centered around how difficult their job was. My experience with LAUSD was the first where my philosophy that if you take care of those reporting to you (in this case the students) and support your boss to the best of your ability, then you will succeed as well; did not occur. Rather, no one considers themselves to be a boss, but rather one of many administrators with no one willing to step up and state they are responsible for bad results. All want to claim credit for good results.

If you are a career changer and made significant contributions to social security then teaching will put your future social security benefits in jeopardy; teachers do not contribute to social security.

Advice to Management

Shift your priorities from self to a focus on students and teachers. Teachers and students alike will do what every other employee in America will do for a great leader; walk on hot coals if needed to make your boss's vision successful.

Quit wasting so much time on generic professional development. Teaching disciplines are unique and require specific professional development. Challenge yourselves to develop diverse professional development. Teachers are required and challenged to meet individual student needs in the classroom. Not being in a classroom does not justify one size fits all professional development.

Push teachers to acquire more technical expertise related to classroom technology on their own time. Teachers preach lifelong learning, but too often demand training they should be acquiring on their own to stay current in their field. Related, quit wasting money on technology for classrooms where there is no educator qualified to use it, or because it is the new buzz item. Technology should be deployed to meet specific educators classroom needs and ability to employ it. Again, one size fits all mentality fails.

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great medical, dental, benefits package

Cons

It is too big and it is run like a corporate entity not a organization about kids growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on what is best for the students not the budget.