Los Angeles USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are no benefits for part-time employees (in 17 reviews)

• Part time position for this job (in 17 reviews)

1. "Not the greatest employer, but not the worst, either."

Pros

Good benefits. Great team work at the school sites.

Cons

Terrible budget misuse across the school district. Employees get laid-off each year while many other new and higher paying positions get created. There are never cuts among top management and administrators. The district is behind technologically. Manual time cards are still being used, a system which is highly abused among employees.

2. "Biology and AP Environmental Science Teacher"

Current Employee - Secondary School Science Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Secondary School Science Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students do not come into the classroom as "tabula rasa." They come with ideas that a good teacher can develop.

Cons

All students can learn, but are not aware of what they wish to learn more deeply. That's why I teach.

Advice to Management

Always be "supportive" of the growth cycle of a teacher, as well as a student.

3. "Teachers Aid"

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, room for growth

Cons

No benefits, no pay during summer

"Depending on where you work in the district can determine your fulfillment"

Current Employee - Teaching in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities exist especially if you are dual -credentialed or have special ed, math or science credentials. In many schools you have academic freedom but that is at the high school level. I don't know about elementary and middle school. I work in alternative ed so I don't really have to worry about test scores or periodic assessments. I also get a ton of extra work via credit recovery and summer school. When I was a new teacher I was able to teach AP in an urban school so opportunity exists. Fully paid health benefits. Lots of magnet schools. Lots of teachers retiring means lots of opportunities.

Cons

You could end up with a vengeful principal or in a school with lots of politics. Choose wisely and don't hesitate to turn down a position if you have a bad feeling. Document everything if you have one of the principals above. There is still left over age discrimination due to the war on teachers during the recession. Realize that many, many districts throughout California are hiring so you have options.

Advice to Management

Stop lurching from fad to fad in education. Technology is not the panacea it seems to be. These new online platforms for teaching English that are highly scripted actually lead to less critical thinking and learning.
    In addition, online credit recovery is eroding respect for education among the students.

5. "Stable Employment"

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time

Pros

Once you're in LAUSD, you're in. Full time employees get full benefits that extend to spouses and children. Stable income for the majority of the year depending on your basis and district.

The school I work for is flexible with my hours, which worked well when I was in college and had limited choices for classes, but this is a perk from this specific school and the fact that my position has limited hours.

All holidays and summer time are off, and some holidays are paid time off.

Cons

Moving up requires in ranks requires testing on ancient computers with nearly equally old testing questions and materials.

Part time workers only get specific benefits depending on the positions they hold. As an aide I get sick time, but no other health benefits. Teachers assistants are in the process of getting full benefits, but they don't extend to family members.

Part time work can be severely restricted. My current position is only 15 hours a week. That's it.

Advice to Management

More options for aides and other part time employees.

6. "STEM Educator"

Current Employee - STEM Educator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - STEM Educator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great district to start a career.

Cons

Full of Bureaucracy. Compensation is not fair to teachers. Unfair ethical practices.

7. "Teacher Assistant"

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time

Pros

Flexible, Enjoyable work, Stable work.

Cons

Fraudulent District, Unfair treatment, no vacation pay, no summer work

Advice to Management

Listen to Students and Teachers.

8. "Teacher Assistant"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

8am-2:30pm shedule, all holidays off and summer vacation.

Cons

Unpaid holidays, and kids can be a handful

9. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Plan for down times. Good pay compared to other districts.

Cons

The LAUSD office in downtown is a nightmare. Make sure you have all your paper work and the process to get in is such a long one. They are not helpful. Most of the schools are pleasant to work with but there are some that will make you rethink this job. Also, you will get benefits after your 100 day of work.

Advice to Management

Provide more support to substitute teachers. The LAUSD office needs training and better customer skills.

10. "Senior Campus Aide"

Former Employee - Senior Campus Aide in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Campus Aide in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A need for experienced personnel like myself " retired Los Angeles County Police Sergeant' to assist with safety and security at school sites. Good benefits !

Cons

Always the possibility of cut backs and lay offs by the School Board. Campuses in areas are growing more dangerous ! Serious problem with under staffing .

Advice to Management

Invest better in the employees that make the campuses function better on a daily bases in order to prevent losing them to other Districts ,and other career choices .