Los Angeles USD Reviews | Glassdoor

Los Angeles USD Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you work 100 days during the year (in 15 reviews)

• Part time position for this job (in 14 reviews)

"Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for LAUSD are the benefits if you are there full time.

Cons

LAUSD is more like a corporation and focus is on test scores and not quality education.
    Needs to be decentralized to increase accountability.

"Teacher"

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits. As a teacher plenty of time off for holidays, and summer. A lot of freedom to create you own lessons. Feels like you are your own boss, most of the time.

Cons

The principal and other administrators can affect the happiness of employees. Some principals treat employees with respect, while others treat them as untrustworthy children, who must bring in notes for the doctors office for single day absences, or administrators who strictly control every aspect of teaching and classroom management.

Although it is a good work life balance, you are so tired during the school year, you end up with an unbalanced life, because of exhaustion.

Advice to Management

Teachers should be respected by administrators, and administrators should work collaboratively with faculty. Principals should not be allowed to establish dictatorships.

"Substitute Teaching..."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Carson, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a 6 hour day. Not much work needed, just only making sure you do your best to have students do the work required and that they don't destroy anything. if a school likes you, you have more of a chance to be called often to that location.

Cons

Not called everyday to Sub. Work flows with the week or month (beginning of school no calls usually, etc). Hard to know who is your actual supervisor when applying to other jobs (no name mentioned. You only deal with support staff who are not your "boss"). No benefits unless you work 100 days during the year.

5. "Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Flexible if attending college. Good experience if looking to become a teacher.

Cons

Sometimes administration can be problematic.

"Administrator"

Former Employee - Teacher, Principal, and District Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to help kids.

Cons

Not enough resources to ensure that all students learn at high levels.

Advice to Management

Listen to parents, students, teachers, and school administrators.

7. "elementary school teacher"

Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working with children, their families, and coworkers who were equally passionate about children and education.

Cons

Pay, respect and conditions in the classroom (no working air conditioning in summer and no heater in the winter... although sometimes the air conditioning worked in the winter time)

Advice to Management

Give teachers more independence in deciding how to teach children. Don't teach to the test.

"Elementary School Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for this company is the collegiality amongst your colleagues. The students and parents are wonderful and make coming to work a joy.

Cons

Some of the areas where the school district could improve on is on how they handle sensitive cases pertaining to medical leaves. I would like to see more oversight in place to hold administrators who are toxic accountable.

Advice to Management

Get with the program of treating teachers with more respect and understanding. Individuals give their heart and soul to their work and to have it all unraveled because administrators don't want to do the work is a crime.

"LAUSD shakes down ex employees for money"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the children I worked with and met some great families. Some of the teachers were excellent to work with as well.

Cons

Working at LAUSD was difficult and caused me to almost give up my career due to burn out. I left mid year because my family had to move and signed all exit paperwork/thought I was in good standing with LAUSD. They said nothing but positive things to me when I left. 4.5 years after my resignation was accepted I received a summons to go to small claims court for "overpayment of wages." I had never been contacted by them before and was shocked. LAUSD told to pay back almost $5000 that they had supposedly overpaid me. They harassed me by having me come to court several times by rescheduling the court date, knowing how hard it was for me to come and that it was a hardship on my family. They also lied and said that the 3 year statute of limitations would not apply to my case because they had a loophole. If LAUSD tries to sue you after you resign talk to the UTLA lawyer. If you fight them in court (almost no one does, they know how to intimidate ex employees including retirees) you will win if they are coming to you more than 3 years after you resigned. You are protected under Section 338 of the Code of Civil Procedures and collection of this "debt" is barred due to a 3 year statute of limitations. I was told my credit would be ruined if I fought back but the judge ruled in my favor as LAUSD was clearly breaking the law.

Advice to Management

Change your policies. Do not pay people before work is completed and then tell them almost 5 years later that you are taking them to court. It's not an acceptable way to treat people.

10. "Food Service Worker"

Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with the children

Cons

none that I can remember

11. "school site"

Former Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

effective at mid to lower levels

Cons

slow very slow at implementations

Advice to Management

give teachers better reach