Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Medicaid Analyst II"

Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in DeRidder, LA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in DeRidder, LA

I worked at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rapid promotions available for hard workers who apply themselves abd are willi g to accept available extra training and all extra offerered detail.

Cons

Increased work load and all local offices closed and Eligibiity Ecxaminners are required to work from home and have appropriate internet capability

2. "Health ranking will continue to"

Current Employee - Program Monitor in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State holidays, free parking, free id badge, lax dress code

Cons

No career path, employee apathy, lack of job training

Advice to Management

Wonder why our health ranking never get better despite the 1.5 billion dollars our citizens spend every year on healthcare delivery? The biggest part of the equation is LDH leadership, who is often beholden to elected figures for setting policy. And there are the lifers who should be held accountable. They are still in their job 5, 10, 20 years after being first hired, when not one metric of healthcare delivery has been improved during their employment tenure. The state would be better off starting over with new staff, not allowing the same people to do the same duties that led to this debacle in the first place. Or better yet, allow the services be to be remotely managed by another state who is successful.

3. "Integrity should not be a foreign concept"

I have been working at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Retirement, Stability after probation, public service, improving lives and health of Louisiana citizens

Cons

Too fast and free with rules (do they apply or don't they apply - it's what I feel like today). Budgeting and financial practices are suspect. Too politically motivated.

Advice to Management

Find the rules. Read them. Follow them. Change them if you don't like them. Follow the new rules.

"Director, HR"

Current Employee - Director, Human Resources in Pineville, LA
    Current Employee - Director, Human Resources in Pineville, LA

Pros

Challenging, Rewarding, High Professional and Ethical Standards of Performance, Accountable for Results

Cons

Sometimes frustrating to navigate the political bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Open, transparent communication at all levels of the organization advances trust, growth and productivity

5. "Administrative Coordinator 4"

I worked at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time

Pros

A very professional company to work for.

Cons

They are the first department that get hit hard with budget cuts.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting the budget for LDH. The health of people in Louisiana is very important.

6. "Medicaid Analyst"

Former Employee - Medicaid Analyst II in Thibodaux, LA
    Former Employee - Medicaid Analyst II in Thibodaux, LA

I worked at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close-knit group, pleasant atmosphere, some really nice clients, feeling of accomplishment with a job well-done, great benefits, flexible hours

Cons

I really can't think of many downsides. I think the cons here are more personality conflicts and the potential for pettiness that can arise from time to time. I always got along with the people in my office, which comes naturally for me. I can easily remove myself from participating in negative situations when necessary. I've found that it takes considerable effort to argue and not get along, both of which can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

I'm eager to learn, but can only be responsible for what I'm taught. I'm willing to learn anything I need to in order to perform my job. 😊

7. "A Great Place to Start..."

I have been working at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time

Pros

A great place to start fresh out of college; becomes familiar with state funded insurance programs; semi-stable employment

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement; raises are few and far between; the department is constantly first for budget cuts; it's a numbers job, so accuracy is less valued than it should be;

Advice to Management

Retire and open up opportunities for new people. Just because that's they way it has always been done, doesn't mean it should be done that way in 2017. Incentivize staying.

8. "Legal Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility with daily work schedule
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

No mentor-ship, management does not promote professional growth, perpetual state of organizational chaos

9. "Awful Management"

Current Employee - Medicaid Analyst I in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Medicaid Analyst I in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is simple and workload is very light.

Cons

Managers are at best incompetent and at worst actively vindictive. I suspect the latter.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees well, not just your friends.

"Be careful if applying here"

I have been working at Louisiana Department Of Health And Hospitals full-time

Pros

Good starting pay for many as program monitor/manager series is pretty high up on the GS ladder
    Most offices offer excellent work life balance such as work from home and/or flexible work schedules including four tens
    Nice building and physical environment; good location
    Good co-workers - despite everything most people are dedicated and cheerful

Cons

Little to no raises
    Extremely top heavy with managers making jaw-dropping salaries
    Constant threats of budget cuts and lay offs
    Forced to do physical labor at medical shelters during hurricanes

Advice to Management

Focus on ways to make pay more equitable; promote from within; stop playing favorites; stop laying off lower level staff while your salary rivals that of a surgeon; keep office transparent and lines of communication open.