Louisiana-Pacific Reviews | Glassdoor

Curtis M. Stevens

1. Featured Review

"LP is the place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual environment that focuses on solid core values like teamwork, compliance, respect and community. People have fun at work...laugh and carry on, yet you are accountable to perform at a high level. Pay is good, benefits are good. Launched innovation strategy which is exciting. Lots of opportunities to grow your career even outside of your specialty.

Cons

Downtown Nashville office location...traffic and parking a negative. But the company culture makes up for that. Cyclical business tied to housing market, but hopefully the growth and innovation strategy will minimize that impact going forward.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence, keep valuing and recognizing exceptional performance and building a culture of accountability.

2. "Good experience with good people."

Former Employee - Executive Administrative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees want to do good work, want to be successful, and are engaged in making good products for happy customers.

Cons

It's still a good ole boy mentality at the top, although a lot better than twenty years ago. Huge penny pinchers!

3. "Built on respect, hard work and honesty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for large corporations and small startups. LP is very intentional about its culture and how people are treated. For being publically traded, there is a small feel to it. Employees don't get slammed with any board member dissatisfaction (is there any?) as opposed to other corporations where shareholder angst was taken out on employees. The executive staff is transparent. If you need 30 minutes with a c-level or vp, it's relatively easy to get. Although it doesn't pander to millennials like some companies with youthful ancillary benefits (espresso machines, whatever young people like), they focus on benefits that matter which is very refreshing. Lots of guidance in how to grow in the company. Status quo is unacceptable.

Cons

Not really a con. The commute is getting a little tough from outside Davidson county. Under new mayoral governance, corporations will be getting tax incentives to program carpool/transit programs for employees looking to get away from traditional commuting. I hope that LP can embrace some work from home time as well as commuting programs that can alleviate the stress of the long drive in and out of downtown.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Executives, keep up the accessibility. It defines the company in several ways.

"Horribly flawed culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Limerick, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Limerick, ME

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average money for the area.

Cons

LP claims to be an "employer of choice" but they took that from somewhere because they thought it sounded good. They're not. The mill is located in a destitute area and they treat their people as the disposable commodity they believe them to be. There is a culture of harassment and people are almost immediately pigeonholed from the moment they walk through the door. It's who you know inside the mill that predicts your future. Rub elbows with the right people and be adequately impressed by them and that's enough to move you up through the ranks. Work ethic has little to do with it. Most people who work there despise it.

Advice to Management

If you're serious about being an "employer of choice", act like it.

"Great place to work and grow your career"

Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They promote teamwork, individual growth & a fun environment to work in.

Cons

There are some silos between departments, that can lead to issues in completing a project.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees.

7. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture - transparent, respectful, fun, employees treated as adults
    Good, customized leadership internal training program
    Strong focus on the future - innovation, new products, etc.
    Employee recognition

Cons

Cyclical nature of industry
    Corporate location is 3 hours from the closest mill - causes some disconnect between corporate and mill environments
    Downtown location (parking, congestion)

8. "Electrical supervisor"

Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Jasper, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Jasper, TX

I worked at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees have years of experience in the facility. Some out of box thinking accepted. Corporate gave me positive feelings and perception that I was valued.

Cons

Micro managing by local management. Some departments not held to same levels and standards as others. Local management moves in their friends and tries to stifle or move out those that are not. Unfair treatment at local level

9. "Shift Supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lincoln City, OR
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lincoln City, OR

I worked at Louisiana-Pacific (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work there are awesome. They are professional and personal. I miss them.

Cons

Management loves to promote their friends and attempts to pigeon hole people that deserve promotion.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the plant managers and their relationships with the people that they promote.

10. "Underpaid"

Current Employee - Utility Worker in Roxboro, NC
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Roxboro, NC

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with, as much overtime as you wanna work. Decent management. Ro

Cons

Couple supervisor are completely clueless and have been hired only for that supervision...no wood mill experience what so ever. Severely underpaid for the position. Also it doesn't matter to much how hard you work, it seems supervisors will hire their family and friends for open positions. It is a little of an uneasy feeling knowing that youre putting in for jobs and get turned down consistently cause they take people closer to them... experience and skill don't count just who you are. Actually make people do their jobs. Lots of people don't do crap around the mill and the few that Do, are forced to pick up the slack of everyone else. You're going to be passed over no matter your skill or work ethic for people who are either related to the supervisor or who are good buddies...might as well not even apply out of your shift

Advice to Management

For some of the positions...they really need a raise. Utility operators are forced to know just about every position on the floor and yet are the lowest paid employees
      I have no idea where this makes sense. But it's ridiculous. You're forced to do everything from one end the mill to the other and make the least amount throughout the mill. Look at the wages here to other mills, we are severely underpaid comparatively...lots of times it doesn't matter what your job title is just do what the supervisor tells you to anyhow and trust me you'll be all over the mill doing others jobs for them. It's a true, do your job really well and you get to as well.

"Senior Plant Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Plant Engineer in Carthage, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Plant Engineer in Carthage, TX

I have been working at Louisiana-Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here for two weeks, but everyone gets along very well and work together.

Cons

I heard the insurance is just average. Seems like all jobs are that now.

Advice to Management

I am glad I came to work here. I already got a that-a -boy. Nice being appreciated.