Louisiana Public Health Institute Reviews in New Orleans, LA | Glassdoor

New Orleans, LA

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Fast Paced Public Health Work"

Former Intern - Evaluation Intern in New Orleans, LA
    Former Intern - Evaluation Intern in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was never be bored at LPHI, there is always work that needs to be done. If you have a flexible skill set it's easy to jump between divisions, so if you're not in love with your placement as an intern keep your ear to the ground and try weasel your way into the department you like the most! There is a great work life balance, and it meshes well to the New Orleans lifestyle.

Cons

If you aren't proactive in trying to find things to help with you can have lulls in work. There are a mind boggling amount of abbreviations, so keep a notebook for acronyms. Some meetings could have been emails, and some meetings could have been four separate meetings, it varies by division!

Advice to Management

Keep an even pace of work for interns and if you see any of them slacking share their capabilities between divisions, it makes them feel special!

2. "Research Assistant Review"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience! Terrific networking opportunities! Great overall work!

Cons

It was a short term job and even with that position, it did not give me an advantage when I was applying to other full time positions.

3. "Cohesive"

Current Employee - Patient Engagement Consultant in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Patient Engagement Consultant in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Public Health Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

All employees' ideas are validated.

Cons

Long hours for rate of pay.

Advice to Management

More collaboration needed across departments.

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New Orleans, LA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work life balance was wonderful, because there was rarely any work for me to do. I have heard they hire interns, but I found a salaried position elsewhere before I had a chance to see if that would happen. Great if you are in school and looking for a resume builder.

Cons

I personally did not feel that this opportunity helped me grow professionally. The work was way below my level, I was not invited to participate in department meetings or professional development. I had little to no work at times, and at other times, needed to get an assignment done in 24 hours due to poor planning from management. The climate is catty and office politics are palpable. Low morale. No benefits and hours are capped.

Advice to Management

Invest in your interns! Most are working on or have a master's degree - we are highly capable and working there because we want to learn! I felt that a high school student could do the work I was doing.

"The place to work for..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Institute does amazing community work. Working there will give you the warm and fuzzies. The staff is great to work with since everyone is working toward the greater good. Benefits are great. Lots of great life/work balance.

Cons

Pay is lower than you will find in the public sector. You have to be willing to deal with a lot of red tape and bureaucracy due to government related funding sources. A lot of egos exist and academics who love to hear themselves talk and sometimes talk down to you. You will also likely hit the glass ceiling faster than you think.

Advice to Management

Improve cross departmental communication. Provide leadership from the top down and give people growth opportunities.

"Very good company with a great mission"

Former Employee - Health IT Project Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Health IT Project Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to lead and set your own course.

Cons

I personally had some poor managers, but they're no longer with the company.

"Good place to get a chance of internship"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of students or even some working people around can get a chance of intern in LPHI in summer or each January, since there are lots of project there. Usually the payment is 12/hr

Cons

less knowledge can be learned there, mostly is doing data entry or interviewing people, you may not get touch to the design session or quality control session until you are the most outstanding person among all the interns.

"Glad it's over"

Former Intern - Intern in New Orleans, LA
    Former Intern - Intern in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Louisiana Public Health Institute as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

It looks great on a resume.

Cons

I didn't get much out of the internship. There were so many interns and not enough work. They also made it seem like it was our fault for not having work. I just wasn't a fan of this place.