Louisiana Tech University Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Louisiana Tech University President Dan Reneau
Dan Reneau

Pros
Cons
  • Due to budget concerns in Louisiana LA Tech has very low pay (in 8 reviews)

• which is a small town in the South (in 4 reviews)

1. "State budget issues are killing higher education"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ruston, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Both the faculty and staff you work with are generally nice and pleasant. The atmosphere is relaxed. You don't have to fear trying something and making a mistake.

Cons

There are limited advancement opportunities. Due to state budget issues salaries have been stagnant for about five years. There are no benefits beyond medical, dental, vision, etc. There's little money for training or professional development.

2. "Graduate assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Ruston, LA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University full-time

Pros

Laid back, very affordable, small university town

Cons

Too much laid bac, very few opportunities

Advice to Management

Rare school that makes PhD students pay tuition, disgraceful.

"Shitty pay"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ruston, LA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ruston, LA

I worked at Louisiana Tech University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice international community , easy way of life

Cons

They pay bad, and they dont really care how ure gonna survive with this little pay

Advice to Management

Be a little more realistic, take off the in state tution

"Phd students live like rats,"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ruston, LA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent education for the money they charge undergraduate students

Cons

The stipend for PhD students is miserable. And this is probably the only school in the country where PhD students have to pay full tution even after finishing their required courses. I literally lived like a rat , scavenging for food, getting into debts and barely making it through school. No health benefits too. Monetarily, this is perhaps the worst school for a PhD graduate student to be in and I will not recommend this school to any one unless they remove tution and give a decent stipend.

Advice to Management

Remove instate fees for PhD candidates and offer discounted housing+health insurance plan+ food plan that would offset the low stipend amount being paid.

"Graduate Assistant"

I worked at Louisiana Tech University part-time

Pros

You'll work under one of your professors, so provided that relationship is healthy, you'll have an excellent boss. You're generally left to your own devices, but you can ask for assistance at any time and expect to receive it.

Cons

Paychecks dispersed only once a month, and massive corruption/favoritism/politics at the upper echelons of university management.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't bother offering advice: they'd never take it.

7. "Stay away if possible"

I worked at Louisiana Tech University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice weather all year long, no traffic

Cons

very low pay, need to pay tuition for graduate students, it is crazzy, lots of politics between professors, no summer funding, not focus on doing good research, rather they focus on writing (or faking ) grant proposal. Many professor does not come everyday to college, and some takes days to respond to email.

Advice to Management

focus of university should be success of every student not politics

8. "Avoid coming unless you have family in area or are hired in Engineering or Business Depts."

Current Employee - Instructor (Liberal Arts) in Ruston, LA
    Current Employee - Instructor (Liberal Arts) in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Students are very sincere and respectful; great colleagues; small-town living (if that's your thing); everybody knows everybody (if you like that); mild winters (one to two ice days per annum)

Cons

No raises or cost of living adjustments since 2008; cost of living is high (don't listen to what administrators tell you); can't survive on one salary except perhaps if you're alone and don't have to travel (ever) or if you're a coach or Engineering prof; expect to send kids to private schools and pay dearly; no proper daycare facilities for the very young - have to pay for in-home sitter if you don't have relatives available; significantly lower expectations of student capability (despite what they tell you); too many overpaid administrators; promises (even those in writing) are forgotten; easy to get stuck here (who's going to hire you in future, especially if you have tenure?); hot, humid summers that last from May till almost November; no major shops - no mall - in town except for Wal-Mart (and with our workload you can't just drive to closest 'major' cities on the weekend to shop

Advice to Management

Give us cost of living adjustments (to compensate for shrinking salary since 2008) and well-deserved raises! The cost of living has steadily increased since 2008 (when we got our last raises) and our salary is now a joke. We only work for benefits, but even those are deteriorating. We can blame Jindal for much of it, but our university seems to be doing well enough for us to, at the very minimum, receive the 12%+ cost-of-living adjustment that we need to survive.

9. "Behind the times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ruston, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ruston, LA

Pros

Small town, nice people, relaxed environment, able to work at your own pace

Cons

Stuck in the 1950s with technology and ideals

Advice to Management

Check in on your department heads

10. "Assistant professor"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Ruston, LA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Affordable cost living, laid back lifestyle

Cons

At the cost of quality, poor funding, worse assistantship opportunities, bad research, ineffective management and bad focus on priorities e.g. when attention should,be paid at employee salaries (professer salary, gradauate assistships) they focus elsewhere such as building a new annex to lambright fitness centre which no one ueses as a,result all higher faculty attiration rate and low comparitive graduate enrolment.

Advice to Management

Its a good college when compared to a community college, but when compared to a university it does not fare so good. Please refucus your priorities keeping in mind the students as well as the faculty who havent got a raise since years.

11. "Low Pay"

Pros

LA Tech has a family atmosphere for most employees.

Cons

Due to budget concerns in Louisiana LA Tech has very low pay.