Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Founder and Executive Chairman Tom Love
Tom Love

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and friendly employees along with good management (in 32 reviews)

• Matthew balak, that I have ever worked for, caring fast paced team (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No one in upper management would respond to my emails or attempts to contact (in 20 reviews)

• low labor matrix, poor work life balance and not best culture (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Assistant Restaurant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

Love's is a fantastic company to work for, and they really care about their employees. They are always giving back, with the Golden Hearts, great pay and benefits, and yearly continuing development for management. They do have high standards, and they exoect their stores, restaurants, and employees to be the best. They also expect proper staffing levels, cleanliness, and friendly faces every day. I personally do not feel this is unfair in any way, shape, or form, as they do have a business to run. I love the high standards, and love being able to execute them. I would be embarrassed to work for some of the other companies I have seen, with no standards when it comes to customer service or overall cleanliness. Love's is a place you can be proud to be a part of

Pay is excellent, health insurance benefits are great. 401k options are great as well. I love everything about this company and plan to retire here, in a long time of course.

Cons

The only con is it being a 24 hour business, that never shuts it's doors. That means you will likely work some major holidays or have to work overnight occasionally. Love's does compensate adequately for this, paying overtime for those who work on holidays.

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Response

May 4, 2017 – External Communications Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, and thank you for the kind words. We greatly appreciate your perspective and passion!

2. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and fun work environment. Good benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

They have a tendency to distribute work when a position becomes vacant other than replace the open position. This can be daunting for the personnel that currently has enough on their plate with their current position.

3. "Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great profit sharing plan, good salaries, family atmosphere. Recently a huge investment in technology so lots of cool toys and technologies to play with. Love's family is great

Cons

Can't really think of any. I guess as it gets bigger it became less family like. Also management doesn't always understand how long IT projects can take

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees

4. "Technical Support"

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had an open management and could really talk with the supervisors and upper management to help in the job and had plenty of teamwork with the other teams.

Cons

Not that many cons working here.

Advice to Management

Not much advice. I had a good time working with working the management and the other IT teams.

5. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers for the most part are friendly an I her paycheck every week use to really love my job but....

Cons

You are Over worked underpayed unappreciated not enough people scheduled never know what your schedule will be for the following week til the day before the next week begins an even though they say they promote shift leads an other Advancements from within the store that very seldom happens I've been with this store for over a year an a half an ask to move up to shift lead several times I just keep getting told that they will see what they can do but instead they go an hire someone else that has never worked for this company before an who knew absolutely nothing other than being able to run a cash register his first day on the diesel side he was scheduled to work with me an I had to basically train him knowing I was training some one that was making way more money than i do an would be telling me what to do once I along with a few other coworkers got through helping him learn how to do his job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees an not just pretend to also stop promising people stuff an then never following through with those promises stop hiring people from the outside to be shift leads when you already have perfectly qualified employees that have ask for the job cause its not fair that we go above an beyond whats expected an then get basically slapped in the face by being turned down for Advancements an then hire someone else for the postion we ask then we have to train them to do the job we ask you for an knowing we are training someone thats making way more than us an then will be telling us what to do

6. "operation manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

Private company and family oriented

Cons

the schedule and work hours

7. "Good opportunity, but requires 100% commitment/ no life"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, TX

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of growth, good money

Cons

always adding too much to the plate, constantly asking for things to change. requires too much time away from home as salary

Advice to Management

arrogant and really dont care for the employee just money, listen to your peers!

"Too Good to be True"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

Love's has a great benefits package and offers competitive pay. Benefits include 4 paid holidays, vacation, and affordable health insurance. If you are a salaried manager you earn Love's shares (profit sharing), quarterly bonuses, and 401k. Love's promotes from within and its easy to get promoted from within for two reasons. One positive, one negative. The positive is the company is growing. I'll list the negative with the cons. Another good thing is Love's stresses cleanliness and well maintained stores. They want their stores to look good and spend the money to fix things that are broken. Even the uniforms look good. You could do a lot worse for yourself than working at Love's. That said......

Cons

If you work at Love's, and you are dependable and care about your job, be ready to pick up the slack for people who don't come to work and who don't do their jobs. The Love's Pledge says "we will not allow an employee or manager to work for us who doesn't care for us." If only that were true, deadbeat employees who make it difficult are a dime a dozen. At the same time corporate says "live by the pledge" you are punished if your turnover percentage is deemed high and lose part (or all) of your bonus. And the turnover is high, because you have to sacrifice your personal life, the job entails more than can be done in the allotted time, and the more you move up the more that becomes the case. A simple cashier will work hard to get their job done, and can do it ok, and feel happy. Then you become a shift lead and its much more difficult, the asst mgr and the load is more, and so on. Thus people take positions (see pros-easy to get promoted) but then become disillusioned as reality sets in. Especially once you go from hourly to salary.

On salary you will still have a life, but not much of one. If you are single then it may be no problem. If you are married or especially if you have kids, you will sacrifice a lot to work at Love's. The schedule is decent, but just know you will rarely leave on time. You will work regularly an extra 2 hours per day, and often times managers will have to work extra days.

The Loves pledge says " we will do what is right for our employees", without divulging specifics, this is certainly not the case for most employees. They care little for your family time, and working extra is expected, not appreciated. They constantly nit pik you through mystery shops, various kinds of audits, endless conference calls, and emails from every direction. You must hit your numbers each week or else give a detailed explanation of why. Even if you are meeting expectations on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis, any week where a number is out of place requires an answer.

Perhaps the most discouraging thing about working at Love's is the motto "We want to catch you......doing something right." Yet so much emphasis is on the negative, what you did not get done (rarely taking into account the continuous staffing issues, equipment malfunctions, missed shifts, and any number of things that happen in retail). They are always quick to focus on the negative, even if it means you had points counted off your mystery shop because the bottom of the toilet wasn't clean or there was toilet paper dust on a handrail in a stall. If you miss a count, if you don't greet a customer (nevermind you are constantly doing 3 to 5 things at once), if your lottery binder isn't perfect. Love's has auditors and mystery shoppers who count off for everything, and God forbid if you get a bad audit or mystery shop, yet the whole process is based on subjective whims and the personal opinion of the particular mystery shopper or auditor.

And if you are a tire tech, good luck, that is a miserable job. You will work all hours of the might, constantly be pulled every which way. The world stops so you can do a $5 tire pass and if you don't you will be in serious trouble, nevermind you are changing tires at $400 a pop. As a tire tech you will do tires and roadcalls, but also clean showers and rest rooms, pick up trash, mow grass, fix whatever breaks, and be run ragged.

There are a lot of positive things about working at Love's, especially as an entry level hourly employee. The money and benefits definitely help keep people around. But the work environment is not good, treatment of employees from upper management is not great in general, though in fairness that is not everyones experience. Yet for all the positives of working at Love's there are probably more negatives. Its a trap job. Sounds great, get you in, everyone is excited, then once the new wears off, reality hits, and a lot of people get out. Buyer beware what you are buying into.

Advice to Management

Live the pledge, especially the first and last statements. Make a little more effort to staff stores with necessary hours to get jobs done in a timely manner. The task lists are great, but near impossible. Don't punish managers for getting rid of bad employees. Of course we need to hire and develop good candidates, but America is shifting to a hand out society and people who have a strong, long lasting, committed work ethic are difficult to find, much less to find enough of them to staff your entire store, work midnights and graveyards, deal with very cranky customers, and who feel underappreciated by higher ups. It's not a job that's for everyone, but for the ones that do it, show a little more appreciation instead of focusing on what doesn't get done, especially if we're constantly short staffed on an already tight labor matrix. If watching a hundred videos per employee is important, give stores a training budget. Loves spends so much on training and has a great training program, but don't allow new employees enough time to train well as they are rushed through training. Hence turnover remains high. I love the expansion, but perhaps there should be a freeze on new stores for 12 months while we focus on new recruits and fix the growing pains. If we can't afford an extra 40 hours in the store, why sponsor a Nascar and the OKC Thunder. I love the Love's logo out there and the fact that Love's is a financially strable company, but perhaps instead of building more stores, we could add just a little more man power in the stores. It may not get Forbes Magazines attention, but the would reduce turnover (because its a fact that people call out less and quit less when they don't hate their job and dread coming to work), and increase customer service. Daily we lose customers who would buy tires, showers, food, gas/fuel, because we don't have staff to take care of them. The sad thing is Love's really could be a great job and dominate the travel industry. Love's is doing well even with its warts, but one can only wonder what could be if everyone in key positions from corporate, division, and district management down through store management lived the pledge. When higher ups do it, subordinates tend to. When they don't everyone sees it as a typical retail environment, corporate vs field, managers vs employees. It should not be this way. Love's is better than that. Keep striving to be the best and don't fall into the pattern of other companies. Make your high ideals reality.

9. "A view inside the company"

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

Good company love shares to salary managers

Cons

Open 24/7 and all holidays

10. "Pretty good salary for management."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a good profit sharing program. If you in management, the pay can be pretty good compared to other companies.

Cons

The profit sharing program takes seven years from the start of a salaried manager position, which can be trying to achieve with having to deal with a continually growing list of headaches to deal with.

Advice to Management

Learn to take care of the people that take care of you, instead of only being concerned about making a bonus.