Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Founder and Executive Chairman Tom Love
Tom Love

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and friendly employees along with good management (in 32 reviews)

• Matthew balak, that I have ever worked for, caring fast paced team (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No one in upper management would respond to my emails or attempts to contact (in 20 reviews)

• low labor matrix, poor work life balance and not best culture (in 10 reviews)

1. "Shift Lead"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Barstow, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Barstow, CA

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, paid vacation, life insurance, and 401k

Cons

Favoritism, promises of promotion but no follow threw

2. "Low Pay"

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

Very team oriented. Lots of helpful people

Cons

The pay is too low to make a living.

"Too Good to be True"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love's has a great benefits package and offers competitive pay. Benefits include 4 paid holidays, vacation, and affordable health insurance. If you are a salaried manager you earn Love's shares (profit sharing), quarterly bonuses, and 401k. Love's promotes from within and its easy to get promoted from within for two reasons. One positive, one negative. The positive is the company is growing. I'll list the negative with the cons. Another good thing is Love's stresses cleanliness and well maintained stores. They want their stores to look good and spend the money to fix things that are broken. Even the uniforms look good. You could do a lot worse for yourself than working at Love's. That said......

Cons

If you work at Love's, and you are dependable and care about your job, be ready to pick up the slack for people who don't come to work and who don't do their jobs. The Love's Pledge says "we will not allow an employee or manager to work for us who doesn't care for us." If only that were true, deadbeat employees who make it difficult are a dime a dozen. At the same time corporate says "live by the pledge" you are punished if your turnover percentage is deemed high and lose part (or all) of your bonus. And the turnover is high, because you have to sacrifice your personal life, the job entails more than can be done in the allotted time, and the more you move up the more that becomes the case. A simple cashier will work hard to get their job done, and can do it ok, and feel happy. Then you become a shift lead and its much more difficult, the asst mgr and the load is more, and so on. Thus people take positions (see pros-easy to get promoted) but then become disillusioned as reality sets in. Especially once you go from hourly to salary.

On salary you will still have a life, but not much of one. If you are single then it may be no problem. If you are married or especially if you have kids, you will sacrifice a lot to work at Love's. The schedule is decent, but just know you will rarely leave on time. You will work regularly an extra 2 hours per day, and often times managers will have to work extra days.

The Loves pledge says " we will do what is right for our employees", without divulging specifics, this is certainly not the case for most employees. They care little for your family time, and working extra is expected, not appreciated. They constantly nit pik you through mystery shops, various kinds of audits, endless conference calls, and emails from every direction. You must hit your numbers each week or else give a detailed explanation of why. Even if you are meeting expectations on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis, any week where a number is out of place requires an answer.

Perhaps the most discouraging thing about working at Love's is the motto "We want to catch you......doing something right." Yet so much emphasis is on the negative, what you did not get done (rarely taking into account the continuous staffing issues, equipment malfunctions, missed shifts, and any number of things that happen in retail). They are always quick to focus on the negative, even if it means you had points counted off your mystery shop because the bottom of the toilet wasn't clean or there was toilet paper dust on a handrail in a stall. If you miss a count, if you don't greet a customer (nevermind you are constantly doing 3 to 5 things at once), if your lottery binder isn't perfect. Love's has auditors and mystery shoppers who count off for everything, and God forbid if you get a bad audit or mystery shop, yet the whole process is based on subjective whims and the personal opinion of the particular mystery shopper or auditor.

And if you are a tire tech, good luck, that is a miserable job. You will work all hours of the might, constantly be pulled every which way. The world stops so you can do a $5 tire pass and if you don't you will be in serious trouble, nevermind you are changing tires at $400 a pop. As a tire tech you will do tires and roadcalls, but also clean showers and rest rooms, pick up trash, mow grass, fix whatever breaks, and be run ragged.

There are a lot of positive things about working at Love's, especially as an entry level hourly employee. The money and benefits definitely help keep people around. But the work environment is not good, treatment of employees from upper management is not great in general, though in fairness that is not everyones experience. Yet for all the positives of working at Love's there are probably more negatives. Its a trap job. Sounds great, get you in, everyone is excited, then once the new wears off, reality hits, and a lot of people get out. Buyer beware what you are buying into.

Advice to Management

Live the pledge, especially the first and last statements. Make a little more effort to staff stores with necessary hours to get jobs done in a timely manner. The task lists are great, but near impossible. Don't punish managers for getting rid of bad employees. Of course we need to hire and develop good candidates, but America is shifting to a hand out society and people who have a strong, long lasting, committed work ethic are difficult to find, much less to find enough of them to staff your entire store, work midnights and graveyards, deal with very cranky customers, and who feel underappreciated by higher ups. It's not a job that's for everyone, but for the ones that do it, show a little more appreciation instead of focusing on what doesn't get done, especially if we're constantly short staffed on an already tight labor matrix. If watching a hundred videos per employee is important, give stores a training budget. Loves spends so much on training and has a great training program, but don't allow new employees enough time to train well as they are rushed through training. Hence turnover remains high. I love the expansion, but perhaps there should be a freeze on new stores for 12 months while we focus on new recruits and fix the growing pains. If we can't afford an extra 40 hours in the store, why sponsor a Nascar and the OKC Thunder. I love the Love's logo out there and the fact that Love's is a financially strable company, but perhaps instead of building more stores, we could add just a little more man power in the stores. It may not get Forbes Magazines attention, but the would reduce turnover (because its a fact that people call out less and quit less when they don't hate their job and dread coming to work), and increase customer service. Daily we lose customers who would buy tires, showers, food, gas/fuel, because we don't have staff to take care of them. The sad thing is Love's really could be a great job and dominate the travel industry. Love's is doing well even with its warts, but one can only wonder what could be if everyone in key positions from corporate, division, and district management down through store management lived the pledge. When higher ups do it, subordinates tend to. When they don't everyone sees it as a typical retail environment, corporate vs field, managers vs employees. It should not be this way. Love's is better than that. Keep striving to be the best and don't fall into the pattern of other companies. Make your high ideals reality.

4. "Pretty good salary for management."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a good profit sharing program. If you in management, the pay can be pretty good compared to other companies.

Cons

The profit sharing program takes seven years from the start of a salaried manager position, which can be trying to achieve with having to deal with a continually growing list of headaches to deal with.

Advice to Management

Learn to take care of the people that take care of you, instead of only being concerned about making a bonus.

5. "This company depends on the location you work at!"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Norman, OK

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People do care and will work hard to see you successful. Norman, OK location has a great GM who cares but this is not the case everywhere!

Cons

Success in this company depends on the leaders at the location you work. Outside of this store all I saw were people who did not care about me as a peon but said they did. This is not a place you make a career unless you really like retail management as your career choice.

Advice to Management

Clone Steven Irons at your in Norman, Ok!

6. "Ugh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eufaula, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eufaula, OK

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most shift leaders are very professional

Cons

Overnight employees have to do extra work from other shift , but does not get paid extra

Advice to Management

Na

7. "Tire tech/ maintenance"

Former Employee - Tire Technician in Biloxi, MS
    Former Employee - Tire Technician in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits if your willing to put in the time. Advancement opportunities are definitely available for the dedicated employee. If you work under the right type of manager or general manager they will make sure you get what you deserve.

Cons

Pay isn't great when starting out. Hours or shifts may not always be favorable. Might have to deal with an out of line customer occasionally.

Advice to Management

Do not overlook the hard workers. Don't play favorites and give hand outs to employees that do not deserve them. Respect the little guy because success all starts there.

8. "Admin"

Current Employee - AA Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - AA Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have great insurance the part the employees pay for coverage is great the lowest co pay I've ever seen.

Cons

The raises are a joke. It's getting to were they are never appreciative if you come in to cover a shift or work a double to cover.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage. Give a little appreciation when we work a double or cover a shift due to call offs.

9. "Tire technician"

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Hearne, TX
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Hearne, TX

Pros

It's an ok place to work for once you work here everyone becomes family even if it is a truck stop

Cons

It's a truck stop people are rude they are filthy they destroy the bathrooms seconds after you clean it up

Advice to Management

Just understand how busy it is

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Response

Aug 2, 2017 – Social media strategis

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We value you service you provide our Customers!

10. "Operation Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great bonuses and love share program

Cons

low labor matrix, poor work life balance and not best culture

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Response

Jul 6, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We greatly appreciate the feedback.