Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and friendly employees along with good management (in 30 reviews)

• Matthew balak, that I have ever worked for, caring fast paced team (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No one in upper management would respond to my emails or attempts to contact (in 19 reviews)

• low labor matrix, poor work life balance and not best culture (in 9 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, friendly environment, advancement opportunities.

Cons

Didn't have any insurance benefits.

Jul 20, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for the kind words. We're proud to have a family-friendly culture. Our full-time employees are eligible for benefits after so many days of employment.

"Marketing"

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fast peace
    -Excellent work balance
    -Good benefits and salary

Cons

-There's a believe that only people that has been in the company for a very long time, know about the industry and the business
    -These people are reluctant to innovation and change
    - There's no TEAM culture

Advice to Management

Great Management in the Marketing department. In some other departments, not so good... as I said, there are a lot of people reluctant to change and to try new things.

Jul 20, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

"Lead fuel driver North Baltimore Ohio"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Baltimore, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Baltimore, OH

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great growing and stable company with room to grow a career. Wonderful equipment and very well maintained. If your willing to work. You'll make good money there too

Cons

Management in the ohio area lies alot and will throw temper tantrums when called out on it. Then labels the driver an A-hole and will put things into the drivers "file" to tarnish the drivers/employees record. Management in the Ohio area lies to the company too. I myself and others in the area went 2 years without any actual action rides or surveilences. Yet we would get paid for passed action rides and surveilences and it would be passed onto the company as if it was legitimate. Very lazy management style. I know of one store in Ohio the Ohio management didn't even set foot on for 2 years. The Ohio management is actually very racist. I myself heard several racist remarks come directly from the Ohio managements mouth over the 5 1/2 years i was employed there, including " i will never hire another (n-word) again". The only reason the Ohio management has a job is because the Ohio management has admitted to being friends with general managemnt who had taught Ohio managment how to be lazy and get away with it. Ohio managment is very vindictive. Labels drivers who make one mistake "incompetent". And will put things in the drivers "file" to tarnish the drivers/employees record. I myself never suffered this fate because i was well liked by Ohio management. I cannot say i ever truly respected or ever completely understood Ohio managements reasoning. Ohio management enjoys gossiping too. Ohio management will discuss openly with others in the company about the drivers/employees personal matters. And laugh,mock and discuss them behind the drivers/employees backs with other drivers, and others including outside the company (i.e. loading racks and store locations). I witnessed Ohio management doing this for 5 1/2 years. Ohio managment told me that Ohio management fired a driver for taking a phone call about another job offer in front of a trainee. Then went on to tell me when he fired the driver, the driver asked"why are you doing this to me" and laughed while telling me the story. Very lazy management. Very unprofessional and unethical management. I would not suggest to anyone to work under the current Ohio management. Loves is a great company with room to grow. I made a good life for myself and my family while working there but it was ruined by Ohio managment. And i know for a fact that I'm not the only one. Current drivers/employees included. If it wasn't for the current Ohio management i would still be working there. I just couldn't take it anymore. There's plenty more to tell im just tired of typing.

Advice to Management

Your current regional and general managment on the east coast should be more supervised. They portray way to much unethical and unprofessional behavior. They are to vindictive to occupy the postions they hold.

4. "Tire technician"

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Hearne, TX
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Hearne, TX

Pros

It's an ok place to work for once you work here everyone becomes family even if it is a truck stop

Cons

It's a truck stop people are rude they are filthy they destroy the bathrooms seconds after you clean it up

Advice to Management

Just understand how busy it is

Aug 2, 2017 – Social media strategis

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We value you service you provide our Customers!

5. "Love's was great when I first started, but 3 managers later and the place has gotten worse each time."

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this company is that the people you work with (excluding management) are all great. If you talk around you'll find that everyone you're working with hates working at Love's (at least the one I worked for.

Cons

Let's just say don't ever agree to temporarily go on graveyards when someone quits and they don't have a replacement, because you will never get off. My manager and I had a 3 month agreement and I got stuck on it for over a year. Also, be careful when accepting a promotion to shift leader. I kept getting promised a raise for it but never received it. Eventually I told my boss I no longer wanted the position because I wasn't getting paid to do the extra work.

Advice to Management

Find people who actually care about their staff and store to be managers. Get the ones who don't care out before it's too late. My store was fantasic until bad managers came in and ruined it. It's been going completely down hill ever since.

6. "Culture loss"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great team members, General Managers, and Executives are still with the company, and those people are great professionals to work with.

Cons

I began at Love's in 2007, and back then, I would have had very little to put into the "Cons" box. By 2016/17, things have certainly changed for the worse.

It's absolutely true that 3-4 strong team members are expected to do the tasks of 5-6 "regular employees." This can be frustrating, but any manager worrh his or her salt can recruit and train the right staff, if given the necessary tools and appropriate time. This has been the complaint I've seen the most, along with not recognizing hard work. As a General Manager however, my take on the current situation is that politics has been allowed to wrap it's gnarly, diseased hands around the company's throat. Just over the course of 2016, I personally know of one GM that broke federal labor laws, egregiously, had it reported, and was hardly disciplined, much less terminated appropriately. This GM had previously been identified by the Divisional Director as a future District Manager, even though his peers and District Manager were all very aware that he was never in the store, hired unqualified people based on race, personal relationships, and even sexual orientation, and in at least in one case, harassed a proven assistant manager to the point that she left the company. It's my belief, along with my DM at the time, that nothing was done because the Director wanted to save face regarding this GM's promotion.

Same timeframe, I witnessed my District Manager do everything in his power to make improvements in all of his locations, but still get demoted back into a store, even though his district had made great strides in almost every area. This DM was not even able to make his own management personnel decisions, often having his input and suggestions, while obviously correct, turned down. I believe these personnel moves were motivated by an unprofessional, personal dislike, on the part of the Divisional Director. Politics...

I'm sure I sound like a typical disgruntled employee, but this is hardly the case. Yes, I was terminated involuntarily, but I agreed with the reasoning behind the decision, even though I know for a fact that my location(s) were consistently better performing than GM's currently still employed. Politics...

I have a lot of love and respect for this company, but that is all based on experiences years in the past. Knowing what I know now, I would not be a salaried manager there for any amount of love or money. I hope that the things I witnessed over the last year were isolated events, and other divisions have retained their integrity and respect for the hard working store management teams that are still out there. Those GM's and crews are certainly dwindling though. Politics...

The current executives, VP's, Loves family members, have all been in place for long terms, and I hope for two things, 1) They have not been fully aware of some of the things that have been going on, and 2) They become aware of them in the near future. This will be a tough task, because the really strong DM's, GM's, and other managers and team members that have been with the company still do have integrity and respect, and will not jump the chain of command to let executives know. If anyone in OKC reads this, please pay some attention to 1910, it's severely corrupt at the divisional level, and not with the divisional support folks, with the top.

Advice to Management

See above.

7. "Lower pay richer owners"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Lodi, OH
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Lodi, OH

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

You get the privelage of working for the Loves family

Cons

This job is load pay, meaning you get payed for loaded miles only and if you go to a terminal and they are out of contract and if you have to go to another terminal empty you dont get payed for all of that wasted time.
    The management over Ohio loves to fire people and threaten you with your job and they tell you it's a five day a week job but a lot of the time you work 6 days a week.
    Last year they cut drivers pay by 7% and changed health insurance to less coverage and higher premiums. It's not because the complies is hurting they are making record profits and building new stores all over the country and the Loves family who owns the company is worth 4 billion dollars. So why do you ask they cut the pay of the employees who haul tankers full of gas and diesel ???? Because they said we were making to much. I have worked 6 day a weeK /70 hours and grossed $1100 That's $15.71 an hour hauling gas and diesel. They cut the pay because they are GREEDY.

Advice to Management

Teamsters Teamsters Teamsters

8. "OM"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and overall clean

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for both salary and hourly

Advice to Management

Totally lost site of work life balance

9. "Love it"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Loves. The pay is very competitive. The benefits package is good. There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard, and yet the job is not incredibly difficult or demanding. I'm new, but my first impression is very positive. Growing company, tons of room for personal growth.

Cons

24 hour retail business that never closes. That pretty much says it all. If you know what you're in for that's not a big deal.

Advice to Management

So far I've not seen any reason to offer advice to management. Seems they are doing a great job.

10. "General Manager, lots of hours, future benefits"

Former Employee - General Manager in Lebanon, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Lebanon, IN

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sense of ownership, future bonus potential, company growth

Cons

EXCESSIVE HOURS, long time with company needed to hit big bonus, must be willing to relocate if want to move up

Jul 6, 2017 – External Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experiences with us.