Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores Reviews

Updated January 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and friendly employees along with good management (in 35 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment with amazing benefits and quarterly bonuses (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • My biggest con is that some upper management treat the lower management bad (in 24 reviews)

• low labor matrix, poor work life balance and not best culture (in 12 reviews)

"Looks good from the outside-but is not what it seems"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GM’s have the weekend off and the compensation is ok, especially if you stick with it for 7 years. Company values and vision are unique.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of team labor. The company culture does not keep up with the growth. Very, VERY negative environment, very top heavy, unorganized, and too much emphasis put on the importance of executives. Very unprofessional leadership in communication and personal interactions with executives/District Managers. Company places too much import on intitiatives and processes that ultimately require too much time and waste of resources.

Advice to Management

Why would you keep opening stores and innovating new facilities, but make no plans to remodel and bring older facilities up to date to keep the customer experience consistent.
    Teach your Regionals and District Managers to be more respectful to their GM’s. After all it is the hard work of the GM’s and their teams that keep them in a job.

Nov 20, 2017 – Social media strategis

We appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback. We will share the detailed notes about communication and team labor with upper management. Keep an eye out - we have multiple store remodels... More

2. "Ok, but could be better."

Current Employee - Cashier in Hubbard, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hubbard, OH

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, 1 week vacation after first 6 months

Cons

Management. It's awful. Call offs. Favoritism for some employees.

Advice to Management

Get on the floor more. Emails can wait when the store is busy.

Oct 27, 2017 – Social media strategis

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

3. "Current"

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Driving distance to store but love my job.

Dec 1, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thanks for the review. We're proud to create a positive work environment for our wonderful teams nationwide!

4. "Lead cashier"

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time

Pros

It's a very rewarding job. And the pay was actually very good in my location.

Cons

It's hard being on your feet all day.

Nov 3, 2017 – Social media strategis

We value your feedback. Thank you for taking time to share your experiences.

"Good company with good advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love's has good benefits, pay, profit share up to 2%. Advancement opportunities are great as this is a very fast growing company.

Cons

My biggest con is that some upper management treat the lower management bad. They will come to your store once per quarter and absolutely rip you a part. you take a thirty minute van ride with them back to your store where some of them will scream and cuss you out the whole time then on some occasions walk in and fire part of your team because they didn't heat their egg on their sandwich enough. This isn't the whole upper management team as a whole I for the most part have had good experiences just some of the team can get a way with murder. I'm still giving a senior management rating a two for the simple fact that as a whole the team great with the exception of a few members.

Awful work/home balance.

"Too Good to be True"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

Love's has a great benefits package and offers competitive pay. Benefits include 4 paid holidays, vacation, and affordable health insurance. If you are a salaried manager you earn Love's shares (profit sharing), quarterly bonuses, and 401k. Love's promotes from within and its easy to get promoted from within for two reasons. One positive, one negative. The positive is the company is growing. I'll list the negative with the cons. Another good thing is Love's stresses cleanliness and well maintained stores. They want their stores to look good and spend the money to fix things that are broken. Even the uniforms look good. You could do a lot worse for yourself than working at Love's. That said......

Cons

If you work at Love's, and you are dependable and care about your job, be ready to pick up the slack for people who don't come to work and who don't do their jobs. The Love's Pledge says "we will not allow an employee or manager to work for us who doesn't care for us." If only that were true, deadbeat employees who make it difficult are a dime a dozen. At the same time corporate says "live by the pledge" you are punished if your turnover percentage is deemed high and lose part (or all) of your bonus. And the turnover is high, because you have to sacrifice your personal life, the job entails more than can be done in the allotted time, and the more you move up the more that becomes the case. A simple cashier will work hard to get their job done, and can do it ok, and feel happy. Then you become a shift lead and its much more difficult, the asst mgr and the load is more, and so on. Thus people take positions (see pros-easy to get promoted) but then become disillusioned as reality sets in. Especially once you go from hourly to salary.

On salary you will still have a life, but not much of one. If you are single then it may be no problem. If you are married or especially if you have kids, you will sacrifice a lot to work at Love's. The schedule is decent, but just know you will rarely leave on time. You will work regularly an extra 2 hours per day, and often times managers will have to work extra days.

The Loves pledge says " we will do what is right for our employees", without divulging specifics, this is certainly not the case for most employees. They care little for your family time, and working extra is expected, not appreciated. They constantly nit pik you through mystery shops, various kinds of audits, endless conference calls, and emails from every direction. You must hit your numbers each week or else give a detailed explanation of why. Even if you are meeting expectations on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis, any week where a number is out of place requires an answer.

Perhaps the most discouraging thing about working at Love's is the motto "We want to catch you......doing something right." Yet so much emphasis is on the negative, what you did not get done (rarely taking into account the continuous staffing issues, equipment malfunctions, missed shifts, and any number of things that happen in retail). They are always quick to focus on the negative, even if it means you had points counted off your mystery shop because the bottom of the toilet wasn't clean or there was toilet paper dust on a handrail in a stall. If you miss a count, if you don't greet a customer (nevermind you are constantly doing 3 to 5 things at once), if your lottery binder isn't perfect. Love's has auditors and mystery shoppers who count off for everything, and God forbid if you get a bad audit or mystery shop, yet the whole process is based on subjective whims and the personal opinion of the particular mystery shopper or auditor.

And if you are a tire tech, good luck, that is a miserable job. You will work all hours of the might, constantly be pulled every which way. The world stops so you can do a $5 tire pass and if you don't you will be in serious trouble, nevermind you are changing tires at $400 a pop. As a tire tech you will do tires and roadcalls, but also clean showers and rest rooms, pick up trash, mow grass, fix whatever breaks, and be run ragged.

There are a lot of positive things about working at Love's, especially as an entry level hourly employee. The money and benefits definitely help keep people around. But the work environment is not good, treatment of employees from upper management is not great in general, though in fairness that is not everyones experience. Yet for all the positives of working at Love's there are probably more negatives. Its a trap job. Sounds great, get you in, everyone is excited, then once the new wears off, reality hits, and a lot of people get out. Buyer beware what you are buying into.

Advice to Management

Live the pledge, especially the first and last statements. Make a little more effort to staff stores with necessary hours to get jobs done in a timely manner. The task lists are great, but near impossible. Don't punish managers for getting rid of bad employees. Of course we need to hire and develop good candidates, but America is shifting to a hand out society and people who have a strong, long lasting, committed work ethic are difficult to find, much less to find enough of them to staff your entire store, work midnights and graveyards, deal with very cranky customers, and who feel underappreciated by higher ups. It's not a job that's for everyone, but for the ones that do it, show a little more appreciation instead of focusing on what doesn't get done, especially if we're constantly short staffed on an already tight labor matrix. If watching a hundred videos per employee is important, give stores a training budget. Loves spends so much on training and has a great training program, but don't allow new employees enough time to train well as they are rushed through training. Hence turnover remains high. I love the expansion, but perhaps there should be a freeze on new stores for 12 months while we focus on new recruits and fix the growing pains. If we can't afford an extra 40 hours in the store, why sponsor a Nascar and the OKC Thunder. I love the Love's logo out there and the fact that Love's is a financially strable company, but perhaps instead of building more stores, we could add just a little more man power in the stores. It may not get Forbes Magazines attention, but the would reduce turnover (because its a fact that people call out less and quit less when they don't hate their job and dread coming to work), and increase customer service. Daily we lose customers who would buy tires, showers, food, gas/fuel, because we don't have staff to take care of them. The sad thing is Love's really could be a great job and dominate the travel industry. Love's is doing well even with its warts, but one can only wonder what could be if everyone in key positions from corporate, division, and district management down through store management lived the pledge. When higher ups do it, subordinates tend to. When they don't everyone sees it as a typical retail environment, corporate vs field, managers vs employees. It should not be this way. Love's is better than that. Keep striving to be the best and don't fall into the pattern of other companies. Make your high ideals reality.

Sep 26, 2017 – Social media strategis

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share these details with us. We like to hear more about your career experience. May you give our employee relations team a call at 1-800-388-0983 ext... More

7. "Tire Care General Manager"

Former Employee - Tire Care General Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Tire Care General Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment with amazing benefits and quarterly bonuses

Cons

Middle Management has no integrity and makes weak cases to fire people who they don't like. Company is more concerned about their bottom line rather than hiring and paying people what they are worth. They over work and under pay.

Advice to Management

People don't quit jobs, they quit management!

Nov 3, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Love's is proud to offer quality benefits to its employees. We've shared your sentiments with upper management.

8. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Hudson, CO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hudson, CO

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love shares are very inticing
    Health care benefits

Cons

Opportunity for advancement
    Work life nalance

Oct 27, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

9. "Human Resources Specialists"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Reynoldsburg, OH

I have been working at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very professional environment. Owner and upper management is very flexible.

Cons

I reallly don't have any to share

10. "Don't be fooled by the "family" business hype"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation and insurance. Unique culture to work in.

Cons

Company has no integrity with their promises. They are too focused on growing and not their people. Poor home / work life balance. "Bonuses" are actually part of your salary. Don't be fooled by "we are a family business". They are no different than any other large corporate business. Advancement within the company is difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises. Show integrity.

Nov 3, 2017 – Social media strategis

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback matter to us. If you wish to discuss you previous work experiences in greater detail, our employee relations teams would be happy to... More