Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute President Robert W Rubin
Robert W Rubin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The absolute worst upper management I have ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• The controller was just let go because the new CFO didn't care for her and made impossible demands (in 4 reviews)

1. "Lovelace"

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time

Pros

Niche for respiratory delivery of disease agents, toxins and therapeutics

Cons

Bioanalytical and analytical deficits, interference and rescheduling at whim by upper management. Labs need rework.

Advice to Management

Redo

2. "Great company all around"

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for advancing career!

Cons

Uncertainty in future of company was worrisome

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were good and most co-workers were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I worked there for a number of years. I had a deceitful and masterfully lying supervisor, no longer employed there as of recent. I had proof of falsification of data. It was explained away every time. Sup had the ear of upper management, no chance for me of being taken seriously. My group was told that "you are all replaceable". So I finally had enough and resigned. It's all about the money and who's best friends with whom, not about decent people who want to do a good job and work hard. Would not recommend!

Advice to Management

Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person - not just an employee - are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability.
    Most of all: Don't. Play. Favorites.

"Like Vivisection? You'll Love LRRI!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of cake, as they celebrate birthdays like crazy here.

Cons

When I was hired an executive-level administrative assistant at LRRI, I was impressed by their mission statement: "To serve humanity through research on the prevention, treatment and cure of respiratory disease." I proudly believed I'd be part of an ace team dedicated to greater understanding and treatment of COPD, asthma, lung cancer, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I learned I was working for a biodefense lab studying plague, anthrax, and radiation using animal test subjects—primarily monkeys, beagle dogs and rodents.

To add insult to injury, the executive scientists I supported were consistently rude and disrespectful. The general environment in the C-suite department where I worked was chronically stressful and rife with problems.

In 2014, LRRI subjected 431 monkeys to controversial experiments involving unalleviated pain or distress—more than any other research lab. Then there are the animal escapes, violations, fines... the list goes on.

Bottom line: Don't work here if you have a conscience.

Advice to Management

Shame on you. First, do no harm...

"Worthless Management"

Pros

The best part of my day other than the job itself was always my co-workers. Decent benefits

Cons

The absolute worst upper management I have ever worked with. The only care in the world they have is the mighty dollar. Company is going downhill fast. Employees are being let go and quitting left and right.

Advice to Management

If you'd like the company to have some positive feedback, start treating your employees right!!!

"Nothing Much"

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pick another place to live and work, produce is reasonably priced

Cons

the down side begins the minute you walk in the door and continues until you go to sleep, not when you actually leave. They will track you and find you and call you no matter the time of day or night...

Advice to Management

Start over

"Interesting Science Opportunities - Poorly Run Company"

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time

Pros

Great experience working on very exciting projects! There are many friendly people who genuinely care to help one another to learn and succeed. There are also a significant number of people who are enthusiastic about science and treat this as more than just a job.

Cons

Favoritism in the company is unfortunately pervasive enough to affect how projects and the company itself are run. The company was unprofessional with how it handled serious problems: it was opaque with it's employees about how the company is doing financially or any important matters - although the status of Lovelace was apparent from the endless waves of layoffs. The company didn't promote an open environment to talk about these concerns. There were no statements from upper management that indicated sorrow to have to see coworkers leave. It's hard to look kindly on a company which doesn't work hard enough to provide a stable work environment. The company felt like it was run by people who don't understand or maybe don't care about science, which led to poor business decisions. One of the worst things was seeing the hardest working, most valuable employees be overworked (some employees are working the jobs of three or more people), passed up for promotions, and underappreciated. It is also expected and part of the culture to work long hours at any level.

Advice to Management

Please take the time to listen to your employees: all of them, not just those toward the top. Work hard to keep the employees you already have!

8. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They can be pretty distant sometimes

Cons

Care very much about you

"Avoid If You Can"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual leave, sick leave, and medical insurance are pretty good.

Cons

This company lacks organization, communication, accountability and an understanding of ethics. The environment can be very toxic and can result in negative employee relationships, which has an effect on the work. The company is not doing well, financially. There have been many random layoffs, and there was always uncertainty about job security.

Advice to Management

Change your train of thought and get another business plan because the one you have now is not working. Instead of laying people off take accountability in how you spend your money.

"More layoffs, only a matter of time until they shut down"

Current Employee - Administrative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Administrative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are good

Cons

Low morale, crappy inexperienced managers, LAYOFFS all the time!!! Company is doing financially bad so they layoff all the low paying people who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Maybe cuts should involve the ones from the top who don't do the work and make all of the money!