Lowe's Floor Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hours are hard for work life balance (in 314 reviews)

• Full time personnel work long stretches with one day off (in 513 reviews)

"sales specialist flooring"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Holland, MI

I have been working at Lowe's (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly co-workers, better than average pay.

Cons

Obsolete computer system, not a lot of training.

Advice to Management

updating the computer system would increase productivity immensely.

2. "Sales Specialist Flooring"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They try to help you

Cons

They are too busy to help you

3. "Flooring Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rotation schedule, 401k match, pay is good

Cons

Benefits are expensive, all have deductible. About (depending on plan) $50-70/employee per pay check (bi-weekly), $220/family per pay check (bi-wkly).

4. "Flooring Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Vista, CA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer interactions, the company caring for you as a whole, and great compensation.

Cons

The biggest con for working for Lowe's is the hours if you are trying to find another job, other than that there really isn't bad thing to say.

Advice to Management

Management at my store in Vista, California, has been so wonderful and caring towards me. I couldn't complain one bit. As long as you build a relationship with your mananagement there is nothing that can go against you

5. "Postive enviroment, no room for internal growth"

Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Berlin, MA
    Former Employee - Flooring Specialist in Berlin, MA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were flexible
    Managers very educated

Cons

No room for internal growth

6. "Flooring Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of problem solving. Company is concerned with safety. Pay is decent for a retail job. Low stress.

Cons

They are retail hours so it could be a 6am to 10pm variance.

Advice to Management

Seems to be a lot of here's the vest go hit it...more training would go along way. Management seems to care about their employees, customers, and the community. Good family feel.

7. "Good at first but they really don't care about you"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is great for retail. Good benefits. The HR manager at this location is a amazing guy he is the only reason I stayed as long as I did he really cares about people but he does not have the authority he should have to deal with the upper management that he has hired when they start to let the power go to their heads he should be able to put them in their place no one should ever have to go through what I did at this store and sad to say it was not just me some people did more then I did for this company and I did a lot and after all they did they were walked out of the building for numbers in a department that they had no control over they literally got a promotion two weeks prior to over see the department and then lost their job because the numbers in the department were bad from the previous manager and mind you the previous manager did not get fired they just got moved to a different position and they still have their job. They will tell you they care and act like they do for a while but just when you think you are being rewarded for all your hard work that it has finally been noticed BAM!!!!
    You will be walked out the door like you have stolen from them left with nothing wondering where you can find a job fast that will pay you what you made here so you can feed your family and be able to pay your mortgage to keep a roof over you family's heads.

Cons

They do not train you properly and then they write you up for not knowing something that they never told you about The amount of things they want you to do in 8 hr is very unrealistic as a sales specialist you have to keep your numbers up or you will not have a job but they want you to do the work of 4 people keeping the store clean and tidy plus your sales. The ridiculous things you are expected to put up with from fellow employees and most of the upper management that are always on a power trip.
    No matter how much you do for this company you can and from what I have seen will be replaced in a heartbeat for something that had nothing to do with you and that you had absolutely no control over.
    I feel used after giving up my life to this company and I feel horrible for what I seen happen to my fellow employees here.
    It was truly heartbreaking .
    There is a reason not to many people have worked for this company for more then 10 years and the ones that have are the ones that have moved around from store to store year after year.
    If you are going to work for this company and you want to stay with them for a while more then a year or two I suggest you not stay at one store for more then 2 years don't just changed departments change locations DO NOT take a higher position then a Sales Specialist!!!!! YOU MAY LIVE TO REGRET IT!
    Don't get attached to any of your managers expecially if they are great at their job because they are the ones that get walked out the door on a normal base's.
    And get ready for all kinds of drama almost well worse then middle/high school drama because now it can really ruin your life.
    Take advantage of the stock perches plan and keep your head down maybe you can make enough money because they do pay well and if the stock plan does well you will have something to live off of once you can't take it anymore or if you are still willing to put up with the crazy for the money but they decide they are done with you.
    And last but not least put a little money away each paycheck for a therapist they have a program that they offer they will pay for the first 5 visits to a therapist but you will probably need more the 5 visits.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that are on a big power trip for management or give them consequences for making the people that they oversee life's hell once you become aware or it. AND STOP!!!! Firing the good employees and management that have bent over backwards and given the company 10 + years working every weekend putting in Double overtime and every last bit of energy and sanity they have in them!!!!

"Flooring Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great way to meet new friends/network with coworkers. Fun potlucks and good medical/dental benefits.

Cons

Terrible scheduling of shifts and days off. Constant team member changes which disrupts coverage.

Advice to Management

Help your team members achieve more work/home balance and not feel over worked and underappreciated.

9. "Sales Specials Flooring at Lowe's"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for retail. Employee opinions are actually valued and have an impact. Safe, friendly environment with the ability to move upwards or sideways, as desired. Nice combination of physical activity, problem solving, and helping people.

Cons

Recent structural changes have increased employee workload and created chaos.
    New employees are being put into customer oriented situations without the proper training and supervision, thereby creating dissatisfied customers and more confusion.

Advice to Management

Increase training. Employees should not be put on shifts alone when moving to new positions for at least 1-2 weeks. Many departments are very product and procedure specific and take significant time to learn, particularly when the employees training them are working at maximum capacity with little time to focus on training.
    Cross train employees. There should always be someone available in the store that can accomplish a given task, ie. cut carpet, modify estimates, place special orders, etc.

10. "Flooring Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Wichita, KS

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay as far as retail goes.
    Friends over the years
    Easy work when no customer are in.
    Ac in the inside

Cons

Management seriously are a bunch of "yes men". They have zero qualification looking over any body. They are robots and are so scared of losing there job, they would sell out there own mother to stay working at Lowe's. It's the "good ole boy" system. You are cool with the right people and you're safe depending who your store manager is.

Advice to Management

To the ASM's...Know more then your service managers and specialists. These are the people that have payed their dues. They know more then you. Most ASM's are puppets. Grow a spine... and actually fight for what you believe in. You ASM's were given a break. Mind your p's and q's over the years and get handed a job for $50K a year to walk around in slacks and a collared shirt. But you don't care about anyone. I know all stores environments are different. W. Wichita Lowe's is poison.