Lowe's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Lowe's Houston Reviews

Updated February 12, 2017

Houston, TX Area

Pros
  • Great company with good pay for a summer job or something just looking to do on the side (in 788 reviews)

• Great place to work good benefits (in 720 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours do not allow for a good work/life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Constant eliminations of full time opportunities (in 426 reviews)

1. "Ok job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good pay for cashier, vacation, time paid off, flexible with schedule

Cons

management doesn't know how to communicate. Hours suck for part-timers.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to your employees needs. Learn how to communicate with everyone.

2. "Too much favoritism"

Former Employee - CSA II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CSA II in Houston, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to work for. Some co workers are actually willing to work and help if you need it.

Cons

Too much favoritism , if the manager doesn't like you he will do whatever is in his power to terminate that person ! If there is a person they like they will go out of their way to see that this person gets a position where they do less and get paid more

Advice to Management

Be fair ! Look at the people that are actually working and helping your store grow. Not the procrastinators that just go to earn a paycheck !! They walk around the whole store just waiting for the clock out time and don't do anything In their department

3. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate &Amp; Cashier in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate &Amp; Cashier in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Lowe's part-time

Pros

The 9 minute leeway time to get clocked in after you're supposed to be there.

Cons

Verbal, written, and then walking out for your final warning.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your lower employees

5. "assitant"

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Katy, TX

I worked at Lowe's (More than 3 years)

Pros

structure, process driven, insurance is great

Cons

work life balance is not high on their priorities

6. "Really depends on the store, but can be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Kingwood, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate I in Kingwood, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knowledge gained is useful outside of employment in personal life

Job can be rewarding with the right customers

Good benefits for part-time employees

Great coworkers in my department. This is really important

Cons

Corporate is really out of touch with how stores are actually run and has unrealistic policies. At times, these policies are an active detriment to customer satisfaction with our products.

Nowhere near enough training to do your job. You either need a lot of experience in home improvement / DIY or you learn on the job in front of customers.

Software in some stores is still 30 years old. It's 2016 and running the store with DOS is a huge impediment.

The scheduling. Schedules are set by your boss's boss, and that person has no working knowledge of your department's staff: X's strengths, Y's weaknesses, Z has a second job, who has a forklift /power equipment license etc. Be prepared to work as early as 5:30am, as late as 11pm, and have 1 weekend day free every blue moon. No one is allowed a fixed schedule they can rely on because then everyone would want one.

Consider yourself lucky if you're not chronically understaffed, doubly lucky if you're well staffed, triply lucky if you're staffed with knowledgeable coworkers who like their job

I began as a temp and they unilaterally extended my contract for over a month without even notifying me. After that, I had to negotiate my own raise when I was promoted and then it took another 2 months to fight for back pay because they didn't pay me at the new rate.

Advice to Management

Stop making planograms that actively encourage customers to unwittingly destroy their lawns e.g. selling fertilizer with Atrazine at the front door during Texas summer. There's absolutely no use to selling such a product from May-September; it ought to be hidden, not the first thing the customer sees when the walk in the front entrance.

The nursery needs a key to their own gate. It's unfair to others having to rely on the rest of the store (which is busy doing their jobs) and making the customer wait so that you can get the forklift out to the customer's truck or bring in inventory.

I wish there were less people working that are too old / plain unwilling to meet the physical demands of the store, this includes hiring cashiers capable / willing of working in the garden center during summer instead of just closing down our department. I don't know what the cause is but there are also too few cashiers and too many call-ins, the garden center and its customers are always the first to be hurt and inconvenienced by this.

In a retail space where customers shop for goods but also expect expertise (unlike say, a grocery or clothing store) Lowe's really needs to have better product training. The new training program would be a huge help if it was 1) actually used and 2) didn't put huge burdens on current employees by hiring new ones immediately before and during our busiest seasons. There's no time to get a new coworker red--vest ready on the sales floor.

If we were to follow corporate guidelines, our inventory would have to be reduced by 50% and there still wouldn't be enough room. Following their "three-touch" policy for ladders is completely not feasible for 90% of our top-stock inventory. Much of what corporate decides is out of touch.

Scheduling is a particular problem at my store; not having enough openers means plants die from dehydration and this causes losses, mid shifts are often missing completely, and no there has been no closers for several days in a row. Employees will quit but remain on the schedule for the next two weeks and no adjustments will be made. Nobody is given more hours because a coworker is on a vacation planned well in advance or is on prolonged FMLA. Our busiest days will be heavily understaffed followed a few days later with 5 closers who don't have enough work to do. Letting department managers make schedules will do a lot to help because they know their department and their people better. However, this is entirely dependent on the personal competency of your assistant store manager.

Employees shouldn't have to negotiate just to get their salaries to consider (much less reflect) the actual responsibilities their job requires. Unless you're good at negotiating you don't get paid more for being bilingual, for power equipment licensing, for being always on call and available to fill shortages, for the degree to which your department relies on you, or even for expertise in your product. It's all time spent in the industry / at Lowe's, and job title.

You have a lot of good people who enjoy their job and love helping customers love where they live, but everything about the way Lowe's is run seems to be a barrier to either employee or customer satisfaction.

7. "Area Product Service Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Cashier in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Cashier in Tomball, TX

I worked at Lowe's (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours were goods, friendly

Cons

the pay for the drama you have to deal with

Advice to Management

don't be a puppet

8. "Field Service Manager"

Former Employee - Field Services Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Services Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Lowe's (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits, employee stock plan

Cons

To make a career at Lowes, you must make a commitment to all changes your mjob may have.

9. "Help"

Current Employee - Receiver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Receiver in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits .ways to advance..good pay.different locations to serve customers.employee discount..good training an trainers..nice people

Cons

Favoritism,terrible hours.no advancement.bad vest.terrible equipment

Advice to Management

Be more involved .dont think you know everything.remember your place in things..follow thru with promises

10. "NOT FOR YOU"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lake Jackson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lake Jackson, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

at first it was working with others in my department that was a good reason to stay, but soon that
    too became a back-stabbing, high school type environment

Cons

they expect too much work for very little pay, I took a job in another department because I was told that " the pay was better". I received a 12cent raise and had more that 3 times the work.

11. "Kitchen & Bath Designer - Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Kitchen Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Kitchen Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay & Benefits are decent it would of course be better if they offered commission considering you rarely make bonus because the entire store has to as a whole and that rarely if ever happens....

Cons

The store is usually short handed and they refuse to hire enough qualified people to run the store efficiently. They pull people from different areas leaving those other areas short handed. A lot of the time you end up putting your job and your customers on the back burner to pick up slack in other departments.

Advice to Management

Commission is a good thing and keeps people motivated, bringing back commission would be a great for the moral of your employees.

Showing 152 of 11,834 reviews