Lowe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock

1,718 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with good pay for a summer job or something just looking to do on the side (in 900 reviews)

• Good benefits fun people to work with (in 820 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours do not allow for a good work/life balance (in 296 reviews)

• Full time personnel work long stretches with one day off (in 482 reviews)

1. "Everything"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With a good manager Lowe's feels like a tight knit team, everyone is supposed to help with everything, they have pretty good vision insurance, they do offer 401k match and stock discounts to employees, they are usually throwing a party for something.

Cons

often times I am covering two or three departments myself, they ask everyone to help with everything, but not everyone cares. if you're one of the people that actually cares about your job you are extremely over worked, the annual raises are almost not worth staying the extra year. If you're full time you are required to have open availability which means you have no life unless you request time off a month in advance.

Advice to Management

pay more attention to what's going on in the store so that you can tell those employees that don't help out that they need to be carrying their own weight.

2. "No employee loyalty or appreciation"

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Until the restructure earlier this year I mostly loved this job. I work part time by choice as I'm a student, but I'm a very hard worker and my management and coworkers see and appreciate that. As a part time employee, I'm offered benefits like healthcare and paid time off, which is rare. Most of my coworkers are fun people who I enjoy spending my days with, my management is usually pretty flexible with my schedule, and I've learned a ton of useful knowledge for future home ownership at this job.

Cons

Unfortunately, as with any job, once management notices that you're a good worker you end up being constantly asked to pick up the slack of your coworkers. I don't mind chipping in but I do feel that I'm severely underpaid considering I end up working full time hours very frequently without any of the benefits of full time employment. I also feel like I've been passed up for other (off salesfloor) positions I've applied for because they don't want to take me out of my department, which makes me feel taken advantage of.

Then there's the way the company handled the massive restructure earlier this year. It didn't effect me directly besides taking even more people off the sales floor and thus increasing everyone else's workload, but morale in my store has been horrible ever since, and since they removed the stepping stone position to upper management (department manager) there's basically no way to advance within the company and thus no reason to stay.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Not only because it's the right thing to do, but because happier employees are more productive employees. Nobody cares to give it their all when they're being overworked and underpaid, and especially not when they feel like their jobs are going to be eliminated at the drop of a hat.

3. "Best avoid"

Former Employee - Freight Associate in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Freight Associate in Riverview, FL

I worked at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is straight forward and easy.

Cons

No supervision at all.
    Incredibly low hours < 20 a week.

4. "Gone down hill"

I have been working at Lowe's full-time

Pros

Flexibility around personal schedule availibility

Cons

No loyalty to long term employees

Advice to Management

Staff for more coverage, get to know employees better

5. "Sales"

I worked at Lowe's full-time

Pros

Friendly environment to work at during the day

Cons

Workload is a bit to much managers dont work

6. "Not all it's cracked up to be."

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you know how to "sell yourself" you may wind up in a managerial position.
    Ability to change positions, learn new areas, gain experience.

Cons

You don't need experience to be a manager. You can even perform poorly in one area only to be given another. This may seem like a positive, but if you are under said manager, this is a negative. Managerial skills and expertise play second fiddle to the ability to "sell." When interviewed you are asked to "sell yourself" and if you are successful doing so, even if you don't have experience, you are rewarded with positions you should not hold.

I would have expected a company as large as Lowe's to care more about expertise than selling. After working there for 3 years I know first hand that you don't have to "sell" to a very large majority of Lowe's customers. People come in knowing what they want.

I would have also expected a much better benefits package, but truth be told, the benefits were horrible.

Rotating schedule in which you will work 10 of 11 days at one point.
    No overtime for regular employees, and at times you may be asked to leave early so you don't go into OT.
    Seasonal workers are treated poorly. Overworked when they need you and pushed out the door when they don't.

Advice to Management

Provide a better benefits package. There are 225000 employees, so there's no reason why you can't. Care more about experience and expertise when hiring your store and department managers. Selling is a very small part of your business, and you know this.

7. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many locations. Coworkers.

Cons

Understaffed stores. Workload is unressonable. Corporate staff is not supportive of store issues. Company headed in the wrong direction.

Advice to Management

Listen to your line level staff. Focus on customer service.

8. "Csa5"

Current Employee - Csa5 in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Csa5 in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any since the restructuring

Cons

Company has gone downhill since restructuring. Throughout the store morale has dropped significantly.

"High Hopes, Low returns and average pay."

Current Employee - Back End Support Manager in Chamblee, GA
    Current Employee - Back End Support Manager in Chamblee, GA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. Fast paced. Product Knowledge. Decent employees. Casual attire. There are not many Pros... can't reach the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Rotating times and schedules. Very little support due to decreases in staffing. Un-realistic expectations. Little store level accountability. To much corporate control over staffing. Aging buildings that don't match the volume of sales. Far to little staff for Customer Service and Returns as well as receiving. Training expectations with no support or associates to take your place to actually get training done. High officer pay, low store level pay. Bad internet/store/customer system. To many systems to use with very little integration. No usage of RFID tagging on mdse. I could go on and on... Lowe's has lost their way and has stopped caring about its employees and by extension its customers.

Advice to Management

Increase store staffing. Allow scheduled time for training.

10. "Management Only"

I worked at Lowe's full-time

Pros

They have benefits, employee discounts, higher than average pay scale for retail store.

Cons

Open everyday of the year except 2. They do not do annual raises. Little to no room for promotion. Work in all types of conditions doing jobs you did not apply for like if you work in kitchens they will have you go out and get carts or help unload a delivery truck.

Advice to Management

They recently eliminated even more managers from their stores. The managers that are left have no interaction with the employees or even know how to run that dept if they are short handed or generally need help.

Showing 1,718 of 13,531 reviews