Lowe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
4,298 Ratings

11,781 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great company with good pay for a summer job or something just looking to do on the side (in 793 reviews)

• Great place to work good benefits (in 727 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours do not allow for a good work/life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Constant eliminations of full time opportunities (in 426 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best job I've had so far in my career."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security. Affordable short commute for Mooresville Office. Challenging work. The work is always changing and I get to be at the edge of new technologies.

Cons

Corporate politics and dramas make it hard to get work done. There are a lot of meetings and changing requirements.

2. "Lowe's the place to balance life and career."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Murrieta, CA

Pros

It is a company that has many opportunities at all levels. The company is also very involved in the local communities as well as across the nation. You can start pushing carts and become a regional vice president or higher. The promotion process is as fair at Lowe's as anywhere. All jobs above teamleader are posted positions which gives everybody and equal opportunity as long as they post for the position in the time frame required.

Cons

nothing of signifigance that I could complain about.

Advice to Management

take care of the associates.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Department Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in South Florida, FL

Pros

Lowes has been great to me and my family. Room for advancement if wanted. I have been in quite a few stores and have always enjoyed working with customers and the employees. This is the longest career I have had and I have grown with the company. I personally feel this is a great place to work.

Cons

I do not feel there are any downsides.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from employees and take advantage of employees that are willing to go that extra mile and help throughout the store.

"Lots of growth, lots of opportunity, great culture"

Current Employee - Corporate in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate in Mooresville, NC

Pros

Lots of opportunity because of our growth. Even in the down economy, it's pretty exciting. Plus, Lowe's has a great employee culture. It's an easy company to work for.

Cons

Lowe's has very high expectations of its employees, which is fine... but that translates to A LOT of work (definitely a "do more with less" culture). And the vacation policy's weak.

Advice to Management

Keep up the convervative approach to growing the business (it seems to be working!) but try to be more ground-breaking on the employee front (benefits, career pathing, etc) It seems like we're always behind the curve.

6. "Lowe's- An awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Zone Manager in Riverdale, UT
    Current Employee - Zone Manager in Riverdale, UT

Pros

Awesome career advancement opprtunities. Great people and a wonderful District Manager. Lowe's is very diversified in the people they hire. They have trained thier HR managers to hire a very diverse group for every store. They will promote from within. You do not have to have a colledge degree to be a Sr. Manager. I think that is huge. There are so many talented people that have never gone to college

Cons

To many hours away from my family. Rotating schedule makes it hard to plan anything. The managers need to better follow the coroporate schedule. This is on a store by store basis.

Advice to Management

Give more of a set schedule. Maybe a monthly rotating schedule not a weekly.

7. "Excellent Pay, Good Benefits, Mostly Friendly & Intellegent People"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Terre Haute, IN

Pros

Compensation & Benefits are at the top of the list, but overall it is a great place to work. The managers are generally good people with good intentions, and they have a tendency to actually listen to your ideas and consider them if not pat you on the back and tell you "good thinking". Praise seems to be fairly abundant and hard work is usually noticed and praised.

Cons

You will always have at least one incompetent manager to deal with no matter where you work.

Advice to Management

Don't be fooled, just because someone sells a lot doesn't necessarily mean that they are good with customers or that they are good people.

8. "Lowe's needs to go back to the basics"

Current Employee - Former Corporate Director and District Manager in Mooresville, NC

Pros

Promotional opportunities for people without college degrees

Cons

Not much time for family

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics, get rid excessive paperwork, have employees focus on a well stocked store and assisting customers.

9. "A great place to build your future!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Mooresville, NC

Pros

Great culture and integrity-based senior management. There are great career paths for those in the stores, in distribution or in the stores. While other companies tend to be competitive, Lowe's is a very collaborative environment. It is a company you can be proud to say you work for. Team Lowe's Racing has a poroud tradition to follow. Everyone in the corporate office knows we are ultimately working for the store and distribution employees and really for our customers.

Cons

Retail is tough and not for everyone, but Lowe's get's it right. I have worked at a number of other Fortune 500 companies and Lowe's is right up there with the best. There really are no real downsides. Corporate politics? You've got that anywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep leading and providing good vision. Even during these tough economic times, show us the way and remember our shared values.

10. "Lowe's is THE place to work!!!!"

Current Employee - Market Price Manager in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Market Price Manager in Jackson, TN

Pros

Lowe's is an awesome place to work because it is so people oriented. They really care about the employees as well as the customers. I have never been as satisfied in a job as I am in this one. I get constant feedback about what kind of job that I am doing. We are offered all kinds of tools to help us to grow in our job. We are also offered a variety of ways to help us to get healthy. It is overall the best place that I have ever worked. I love the people that I work with and the people that I work for! Everyone is truly excited about what they do and they really get into their jobs. We all work together. I have never experienced so much support. It is like you have your own cheering team all the time!

Cons

I really haven't experienced any downsides. It is a very positive place to work!

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so accessible and approachable and thank you for all of your support!

"Lowe's Home Improvement values employees and their talents."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Employees are the company's greatest asset. There is a long and storied culture within Lowe's that calls for fair and equal treatment of all employees. Employees are empowered to take care of customers to the best of their ability. The job is fun, fast and action-packed. Those employees that give 100% every day will enjoy the job and reap the benefits in return.
    The job is definitely challenging whether at an entry level position or a management level position. Lowe's annually seeks employee imput in regards to ideas on how the company can improve employee condiotions and morale wihin the stores.

Cons

As in any large company Lowe's is dependant on several layers of management to carry on the company philosophy and policies. Lowe's has many very good managers that deliver on the leadership princiiples that Lowe's espouses. Due to fast growth and a fast-paced store environment there are times that managers are promoted to positions beyond the scope of their current abilities.

Advice to Management

Continue to instill the Lowe's culture of inclusion and diversity. Continue to openly communicate the positive and negatives of the business to all employee-owners of the company.

Showing 11,781 of 11,898 reviews