Lower Colorado River Authority Reviews | Glassdoor

Lower Colorado River Authority Reviews

Updated Nov 26, 2019

Lower Colorado River Authority General Manager Phil Wilson (no image)
Phil Wilson

"LCRA is my employer of choice!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Although I have been proud to work at LCRA since I was hired in 2003, I have never been more proud than I am at this time. The main reason for that enhanced sense of pride comes from the strong executive leadership team we currently have in place. They focus on running a smart business, doing the right things and genuinely caring for the safety and well-being of employees. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot from them and have become a better leader myself because of their influence. Our mission has always been at the forefront of everything we do and that continues to be a key part of our culture. We have high expectations for ourselves and hold each other accountable to meet those high expectations. I have been fortunate to serve in many different roles at LCRA over the years and appreciate the development opportunities that the organization has provided to me. LCRA does a really good job analyzing compensation and benefits on a regular basis to ensure we are competitive. Additionally, I thoroughly enjoy working with my direct team, but also other teams across LCRA. The people at LCRA are fantastic!

Cons

Comprehensive improvement takes time and some processes are still inefficient. However, employees are dedicated to doing their best and we continue to make strides toward being as efficient and effective as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! Continue to develop strong teams, reward top performance and keep safety as the highest priority.

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-08-08

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Chief Administrative Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoy working at LCRA. The people are smart, capable, and dependable. Our team is motivated by our public service mission and the desire to improve the lives of Texans. We are as innovative as our heritage (LCRA was the first organization to bring electricity to rural Central Texas). We provide water, energy, and community services to some of the most vibrant and fast-growing communities in the state. I'm continually learning, challenged, and interested in this job. I love the people here. They have high integrity, high standards, and a lot of spirit. Safety is our top priority, and we really "walk the walk." And after 80 years, LCRA are still just getting started!

Cons

Look, LCRA jobs are tough jobs. Some of our jobs -- especially in law enforcement -- will put you on the front lines of keeping the public safe from floods and natural disasters. LCRA supports flood evacuations and protects critical infrastructure. We protect the parts power grid from cyber and physical attacks. We operate public safety websites and radio networks that most be 100% reliable. We run 44 parks, often busiest on the holidays, which can mean daily contact with the public. These are tough jobs in which our people really put themselves on the line. A healthy sense of adventure and a sense of humor are essential. While I'm motivated by that challenge, LCRA's tough jobs are not for the faint of heart!

Advice to Management

In full disclosure, I'm in management. So I'll skip this one. ;-)

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-07-26
  3. "Park Program Coordinator 1"

Current Employee - Park Program Coordinator I in Bastrop, TX

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to use your own personal telescope to show the patrons the night sky.

Cons

When it's cloudy, the entire function is canceled.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be maintained.

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-07-24

"Not Good"

I worked at Lower Colorado River Authority

Pros

they have good benefits and hard working employees. It's a shame that they never get recognized.

Cons

management has no clue to what is going on. Benefits have started to get more expensive and no raises. No career advancement opportunities.

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-08-22
  5. "Stable company, but don't expect to get rich here."

Current Employee - Engineering Associate I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are genuinely great.

Cons

Benefits seem to be decreasing year by year. Phil is looking to make raises strictly merit based (not necessarily a con, but no longer a sure thing)

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-05-01

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits package, large enough company to move around in, with good potential for advancement.

Cons

Sometimes very slow moving with change, and frequently meetings are ineffective.

Advice to Management

Get more creative with the way you reward employees and the way you ensure your employees have fun at work. There's a distinct lack of fun in this environment.

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-04-24
  7. "Trying to Crawl Into The Modern World"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent co-workers and direct supervisor/managers in the current department. Depends on what area of the company you work. Love 4/10 shifts.

Cons

Heavily relying on contractors instead of hiring full-time employees. Sub par compensation and not increasing workforce until employees are extremely overworked. Advancement is more tailored to who you know rather than what you can do.

Advice to Management

A tendency to promote engineers into management roles when a P.E. is not necessary. Hiring someone with more relevant skills would be a better fit. Many qualified candidates are passed over for jobs because of some notion those two letters make you qualified for doing something more than stamping a piece of paper. Need to hire and train workers before the older workforce retires and take their knowledge with them.

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-03-29

"Top heavy organization with industrial challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Work Life balance and a decent wellness program

Cons

Salary, career advancement, bureaucracy

Lower Colorado River Authority2017-02-03
  9. "Strategic Communications Advisor"

Former Employee - Executive Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can be a stable environment for skilled engineers and project managers. Good people.

Cons

Somewhat a govt type beaucracy. Senior leadership is political and thereby has tendency to chang and with that change subordinate leadership will follow.

Advice to Management

Improve senior managemwnt leadership with subordinate staff.

Lower Colorado River Authority2016-11-30

"Project Manager"

I have been working at Lower Colorado River Authority full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule for most employees

Cons

Sometimes internal politics gets the best of people.

Lower Colorado River Authority2016-10-20