Lower Merion School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Lower Merion School District Superintendent Robert L. Copeland
Robert L. Copeland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Crew"

Pros

Worked on the summer crew, good people

Cons

Can get hot, spend lot of time in truck

2. "Special Education Professional Staff"

I have been working at Lower Merion School District full-time

Pros

Co-workers are amazing and supportive. Facilities are nice.

Cons

Central administration leaders create very difficult work climate even though they aren't in the buildings often. Provide mixed message. Will jump on you if you make a mistake. Tense environments all around. Not worth the money. Their mistakes (budget problems, personnel management) are raining down on all.

Advice to Management

Time to take a look at yourselves. Power has clearly corrupted the admin ranks at central.

3. "PT Summer Custodian"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Lower Merion School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with some people from a team and learning new on the job training.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I wasn't able to stay on the job long enough to learn more and work my up to a different position and maybe work full-time.

4. "Substitute and Tutor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Lower Merion School District as a contractor

Pros

Easy to pick and choose when you want to work. Pay decent for what you do.

Cons

Sub plans can be really lacking - no standard expectation or requirement from the district as to what teacher's must provide the subs.

5. "great place to work"

I have been working at Lower Merion School District full-time

Pros

Lower Merion School district is a great place to work. Love my coworkers, the students, and the benefits.

Cons

Any job has its cons, but relative to other workplaces, I don't think Lower Merion has many. I feel lucky to work here. I just hope the pension plan holds out!

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management.

6. "Plenty of lifetime employees!"

Current Employee - Clerical Aide in Ardmore, PA
    Current Employee - Clerical Aide in Ardmore, PA

I have been working at Lower Merion School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best salary around for public school employees, strong union, plenty of opportunities for involvement in areas of interest, great families who are invested in their children, plenty of hardworking passionate individuals.

Cons

Every year brings more and more new requirements, making less time for individual attention to students - "trickle down" effect has everyone feeling the stress. Younger teachers with a passion are sometimes left downtrodden - however this is not limited to this district, but is a trend of the profession.

Advice to Management

If you ask employees for their input in making policy changes, please give some sort of indication that you have listened/read the feedback, otherwise no one wants to participate and morale is lowered.

7. "Friendly co-workers, opportunity for advancement."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Lower Merion School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Safe school district, skilled teachers, opportunities for long-term jobs/ advancement.

Cons

No cons to put on here!

8. "an"

Current Employee - Teacher in Ardmore, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Ardmore, PA

I have been working at Lower Merion School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

substantial, committed investment in the educational and learning experiences of every child. strong, regular professional development obligations and opportunities- in the name of growth as a teacher or staff member or administrator. an excellent environment in which to discover how to make public education thrive.

Cons

honestly, only thing to identify is the number of initiatives that the district and staff underwrite in the name of improving public education. so many, sometimes it can overwhelm a younger employee. hard to argue against the philosophy, just admit the reality that the district expects everyone to work very hard. nothing wrong with that.

Advice to Management

possibly, invite a variety of staff members to semi-formal, or informal, conversations about what we do, what we believe, goals we have as lower merion school district staff.