Luby's Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Luby's President, CEO, and Director Chris Pappas
Chris Pappas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, learn a lot about cooking from scratch, Will accommodate your school schedule, learn good customer service skills (in 4 reviews)

• Pay is high compared to other corporate chain restaurants, free meals when working, food is high quality, solid training program (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, with minimal breaks (in 11 reviews)

• Unrealistic expectations of what upper management thinks can be done in a day (in 7 reviews)

1. "Luby's review"

I have been working at Luby's part-time

Pros

Allows for lots of crosstraining and decent starting pay. Also works with your schedule and is very lenient as far as days off.

Cons

Sometimes relied on for working inconvenient hours.

2. "Dishwasher Review"

I have been working at Luby's part-time

Pros

Discount on Food
    Free Drinks
    Friendly Place to be at

Cons

Open on all holidays including Christmas
    Long hours
    Too much work

3. "Waitstaff"

Former Employee - Waitstaff in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Waitstaff in Harlingen, TX

I worked at Luby's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of people and the tips are always a plus

Cons

Since we aren't real servers not a lot of people tip. They do get their own food

4. "Hard Place to Work"

Current Employee - Counter Server/Baker in Cinco Ranch, TX
    Current Employee - Counter Server/Baker in Cinco Ranch, TX

I have been working at Luby's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here at Lubys you get plenty of hours and some food service experience if you stick around long enough.

Cons

They will overwork you. Management doesn't care about you or your best interest, will talk about you around others and can be hostile at times. No chance of moving up. Lacking on organization, no training happens, employees are just thrown in for the most part.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you would wish to be treated. Don't be hostile, or yell at employees as if they were bad dogs. Make sure employees are properly trained. Dont let good work go unacknowledged.

5. "Cook"

Former Employee - Prep: Cook in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Prep: Cook in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really can’t think of any pros but that it was a job. One of the managers was nice.

Cons

Overworked, don’t give you the job you applied for. Don’t get the pay you expected. Long hours, with minimal breaks. Don’t train you to use the equipment

Advice to Management

Get safety gear for stove etc not towels. Be more understanding with employees.

6. "Food to Go"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the food, discount, nice customers, good hours

Cons

high turnover, hard to get a raise

"The next level"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

I like the fact we have PTO Vs a vacation style week format. This allows you to utilize time off more effective in my opinion. I wish this would be use more as a Recruiting tool to managers in the work force. If used properly, with store needs in mind, you in some cases can have a 5week vacation in you second year with the company. Truly this is a missed opportunity for recruitment purposes.

Cons

You can expect to work 65-75hr Thanksgiving week. All hands on deck!In most cases you will get a extra day off to offset this day. The Holidays will make the difference between you deciding to be with the company 1 yrs Vs 30yrs. I think other than Thanksgiving, a work one holiday off the next Holiday would help better manage the quality of life aspect. Another Con is you may be asked to go to another unit at a moment's notice, in one case a manager was moved as much as 15 to 20 times in his 7yrs with the company . They will in some cases offer a pay increase for your distance if you are not maxed out pay wise. My biggest Con is the culture is not a bad one, but with changes being made, We are not geared to being in the top 20 company's to work for. Money is not what recruits the best of the best. Culture along with love towards your employees will make the biggest impact. Look at the top 20 companies to work for,you tell me.

Advice to Management

We are great at what we do,but I want to be the best. The new generation in this work force are not going to drive off what drove us to remain for as long as we have. So we must ask ourselves some difficult question.
    1)What will keep us around for another 70yrs. You may say food,and may be right. My opinion is food is the given, your employee are the focus point of building the next 70yrs. The Top fast food chain (chick-fa-la.)that gets the most praise cant be the food,its the service! The employees keep them coming back.
    2) How do we get our employees to do this?Im glade you asked.This one I will give you for free. It starts at the very top. How many times do upper management say ,lets go visit stores today to see how things are being ran. Why not say,lets go visit our family today and see how we can help them today. The Culture will reflect the top.If the top has a family first approach,I promises you so we the rest.
    3)How much will this cause you ask?
     This will only cause you time and love. If we just want to make money, than say that,but if we want to be great.We must build greatness from one person to the next.
    4)My question is to you, so people work at their best when they fear you,are when they respect you. I think when you are respected,even when you are not around the job will get done as if you were. Fear makes people do what's right when you are looking,turn your back and all bets are off.
    5)last one, Who wants to lead us to the top 25 companies to work for?

8. "A Decent Part-Time Job"

I have been working at Luby's part-time

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Relatively easy work

Cons

-Poor management
    -Boring at times

Advice to Management

Allow for more career growth opportunities within the company

9. "Range Cook"

Former Employee - Range Cook in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Range Cook in Houston, TX

I worked at Luby's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The general manager and assistant managers were awesome people. Very positive people offering help when needed. No problem.

Cons

First day of work was a brutal 12hr shift. BOH workers were not receptive to me because of the language barrier. I was told that I would work along side someone for a week or more before working my station alone. Nope. I was working alone on my second day. No sympathy from my co-workers as they demanded food for the line.

"I need more Mac & Cheese!", "I need more mash potato!!", "I need more cabbage!!!",
    "Green beans! Corn!, Spinach!..."
    "...dude, this is my 2nd feaking day! Give me a break!.."

Working the line is not your only duty. In the middle of all the chaos, you need to prep items for tomorrow...yes... like cutting veg, dicing onions, celery, carrots, boiling noodles, making cheese sauce, etc.
    "...WE NEED MORE MAC & CHEESE..!!!" the whole time your trying to do the prep work. Madness.

"The person" that was suppose to be teaching me and helping was extremely rude and disrespectful and that was really the last straw. BOH work is hard at ALL restaurants BUT everyone is like family, not like this guy. Not Helpful, just sarcastic and insulting. He was talking to me like a child, like I was one of his kids, Until, his son came on for his shift. What? He was very nice to his son. So now I know this was directed at me only.

"The Person" asked me to chop 3qrts of celery. No problem. A celery stalk falls off my cutting board and onto the floor. I pick it up and toss it into the trash. The next thing I know "The Person" brings over the manager and they dig through the trash and pull out the celery stalk.

"The Person" tells me in front of the manager, "..you know, this costs money and water is cheaper than celery. So next time wash it off instead of tossing it into the trash.." So this guy snitches on me instead of giving me helpful advice as I learn my station. After they left I still tossed the celery into the trash. Wash it off? Seriously?

"The Person" gets away with murder because he has worked for Luby's for 25yrs. They guy walks on water. He's an old guy flirting with the young female workers. I know enough Spanish to know what he is saying to them.

The day before I finally quit "The Person" and the assistant manager got into a huge blowout at the beginning of the shift. It was all over helping me at my station. "The Person" wanted to work another area and the assistant manager wanted him to hover close by to give me help if needed. It was a Friday night, very busy. It was an ugly argument that went on for 30 minutes. "The Person" was so upset he never helped me the entire shift except for popping in and insulting me about something not being done properly.

"Here's 2 bags a greens. Cook them!!..."
    "...how do you want me to cook them?"
    "Do you know English?..."
    "...Yes."
    "Then why don't you go look up the recipe and make it!..."

I got a sudden sense of being Linguini in the movie Ratatouille.

"...WE NEED MORE MAC AND CHEESE!!!..."

Advice to Management

I know "The Person" has been there for 25yrs but you need to get rid of him and build a real family in the kitchen. Stop washing things that fall on the floor.

10. "Luby's Fuddruckers Restaurant"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier and Waitress in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier and Waitress in Houston, TX

I worked at Luby's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros from working at Luby's were that you get to improve your communication skills with costumers.

Cons

Some of the cons from working at Luby's were that sometimes people could be rude to you but you get to acquire patience and knowledge and how to further act upon their actions.