Lucas Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Lucas Group President and CEO Andi Jennings
Andi Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They allow you to have a geat work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great people throughout the entire organization (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance could be better (in 8 reviews)

• your success or failure will depend largely on who your managing partner is and so will your overall experience at the company (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Senior Partner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Senior Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong commission structure
    Clear path for career growth
    Open communication with leadership
    Chance to build your own book of business- you’re an entrepreneur within an established company

Cons

no real cons- the company continues to invest in its people and its technology

2. "Outstanding Employer"

I worked at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Team-Centered Approach, Mentorship Program, Excellent Onboarding / CRM Training

Cons

Enjoyed the work and the culture, no negatives here

3. "Sr. Search Consultant"

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many I can really think of

Cons

Where do I even start? Very political culture. You can be the best at business development, but still loose potential business to the tenure or favorites on the team.

There are "rules" put in place, but no one seems to follow them. You could be chasing a company and people will still go behind your back. I can't really trust anyone on my own team-which is a huge problem.

I also have noticed a number of people on other teams getting canned that to be seem the most normal/ have he tools to succeed. Pretty sure this reflects on management. I relate most things to a sports team. Why do you think the Patriots are so successful? It's because they recruit the right people and develop the team. A lot of the managers are in my opinion in capable of figuring out the source of the problem and helping the person try and fix it.

Again- all of the problems stem from the top. Let me know how things work out when all of the tenure retire/quit and your left with nothing.

Advice to Management

See above

4. "Executive Recruiting isn't for everyone."

Current Employee - Executive Senior Partner
    Current Employee - Executive Senior Partner

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent, caring leadership who gets to know everyone in the company.
    Support from IT, HR, Accounting, and Executive Leadership whenever needed.
    Opportunity to run a full desk with national support for relocation opportunities.
    Some of the best initial and on-going training in the business.

Some of the strongest recruiters in the company sit in the larger cities across the US where there is an "abundance" of opportunities and great clients, but at the same time, some of our top people sit in very small markets, where the opportunities are more difficult to find. Regardless, Executive Recruiting isn't for everyone- it's for those willing to work, willing to put in the extra hours, willing to answer their phone/emails after hours and on weekends, and for those willing to do more and "figure it out". This is Executive Search, not Staffing, so there is a lot more work that is necessary to put in to make sure we provide the value that is expected by the clients we serve, and the value that directly correlates to the fees we charge.

As far as anyone concerned about a draw salary- If you are talented and you work hard, you see immediate rewards from the collections that come in. No waiting several months- the second your client pays, you will have a notice alerting you that you will be seeing your portion of the collection in whichever paycheck is next up on payroll's desk (typically within 2 weeks depending on where the collection comes in on the pay period).

I can't say enough good things about the company from personal experience. I came in as an Sen Exec Search Consultant, and hit my promotions to the highest level in the company just after my 2nd anniversary. And that was with ZERO full desk, ZERO Exec Search experience, and ZERO experience within my selected field of specialty here. I was given the opportunity, and I simply took full advantage.

Cons

CRM is a bit challenging, everyone is looking forward to the new system.

Advice to Management

We appreciate your true support versus micromanagement that some organizations still feel is effective. Andi- keep doing what you are doing. Focus on hiring experienced and talented higher level, full desk recruiters- it seems like the people who complain about how much work it takes to be successful, or the people who end up leaving/being let go are the people who don't understand that this job is challenging, and there is a reason we charge the fees we do to clients- it's because the expectation is that we are the company who goes above and beyond, and the same goes for each individual.

5. "Account executive"

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and family environment

Cons

Draw commissions is not an ideal way of life if business market is over saturated

6. "Over all great organization"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Recruiter in Addison, TX

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very consistent. Everything they said in the interview they delivered on.
    Commission is great when you are making placements.
    Fun work environment too.

Cons

If you aren’t okay with picking up the phone and making calls don’t work here! Lots of calls.
    Have to be okay with lots of rejection.

Advice to Management

Management is great and engaging.

7. "Executive Search Recruiter"

I worked at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training and staff support with weekly meetings to discuss projections and share information.

Cons

No reviews of LinkedIn profiles to ensure profile and work history integrity.

"Don't Do It!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lucas Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not one good thing that I can think of

Cons

I have worked for some amazing companies. This firm is not one of them; they are a joke. The CEO has no clue how to grow a business, and that trickles all the way down. Weak leadership. No morals. No integrity. As a former accounting and finance manager I would never use them for hiring knowing what I know now. They are too focused on metrics and not focused enough on valuing their people, candidates and clients. SO guess what? They don't value candidates or clients either. You are just another $1 to them. They are guilty of age discrimination both internally and externally. I would love to spare you of making the mistake to even interview with them. They are all snakes.

Advice to Management

To the owner or whoever Andi Jennings reports to: Force her into retirement and hire all new management. Hire innovative people who have proved themselves in other firms and have helped implement change in order to grow to the next level. Then have them evaluate internal recruiters. My guess is they will fire the majority. There are those little pets of Andi's that have been there for years and do not perform you will want to get rid of. The rest - check for honesty and integrity and that will wipe out the majority.There are a few good eggs that should be kept. Bring in a new approach and you might just have a chance at growing and becoming a respected competitor in the industry. In the meantime, this company is a lawsuit waiting to happen and a huge risk to the owner.

9. "Awesome Company - Lots of smart people with which to work."

Pros

Culture, smart, growth opportunities. and they provide all the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

current CRM tool is not user-friendly, but Lucas is deploying a new platform in the 1st quarter

"Accept at your own risk"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Onboarding is fantastic. Solid initial training. IT staff is excellent. Leadership means well. Full desk recruiter. New CRM/ATS in the future. Commission starts at 35%. Corporate HR improving benefit offerings. Unlimited vacation. Flexibility to work remote. Many former employees land a great job elsewhere.

Cons

Company focused on higher revenues. Recruiters becoming more doggy dog. A lot of people appear very stressed. Not a cordial environment. Many people don't speak when passing or say good morning. Some retained but mostly contingent search. So a lot of effort could go into a search and no financial reward if the client decides not to hire or candidate takes a counter. Some Account Mangers play god and refuse to submit a colleague's candidate even when the person's a fit. A lot of group think and redundant training doesn't teach anything new. Recruiters are forced to choose a discipline/specialty. If you choose IT, you only recruit IT, limiting opportunity to expand skills. Constantly fighting a DRAW is very problematic. Compensation structure not fair. Paid two weeks, sometimes four weeks post-collection depending on date received due to accounting practice could mean no commission due to draw. Recruiters are asked to chase down clients to pay bills on time, which too may result in no commission. Constant turnover. The majority of leadership has been with the company forever and are very comfortable. Many don't lead by example, are unprofessional, and can be heard belittling employees. Lot of "do what I say, not what I do." No opportunity for traditional growth. Unless promoted to manager (due to retirement or death), recruiter will always be an individual contributor. Company does no community service. All they care about is the money that goes in their pocket. Oh, if a recruiter has a bad string of luck (contingency search) and makes no money for the company, they are fired.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the draw and paying recruiters a base salary + commission. The workforce would be much happier and more productive.