Lucas Group Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lucas Group President and CEO Andi Jennings
Andi Jennings

Pros
  • Thoughtful company culture with a focus on work-life balance and no one micro-managing you (in 10 reviews)

• Great People providing good support & guidance through the entire contract assignment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely Poor Work-Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

• Despite some well tenured people, there's still a lot of high turnover (in 7 reviews)

1. "Overall Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly, supportive staff (for the most part) with a "family feel" atmosphere. Cannot speak highly enough of the CEO, she is the best there is! The corporate team really does their best to socialize with the recruiters. which really helps to lessen the typical "divide" between the two worlds.

Cons

The marketing team. They have been improving, however, the CMO is, in my opinion, not the best fit for this company. For the majority of my time there, the marketing team never took the time to speak to the recruiters to actually determine what THEY needed. Like I said, they are improving in that aspect. However, the CMO himself still doesn't take the time to get to know the recruiters, other than his random "pop ins" where he thought that saying hello a few times a year was enough. He also does not seem to take care of his own team very well.. Morale is extremely important and it's a shame to see such a wonderful company with so much potential to not be able to reach that potential due to their marketing. The new members that they added to the team have definitely been helping to improve that tremendously! Also, the rest of the corporate team does more than enough to make up for his lack of leadership/team morale as they are all very friendly and more than willing to lend a hand!

Advice to Management

Some of the greatest people that I had the opportunity to work with! I only hope that you continue to flourish in your careers and wish you all the best!

Andi - you rock!

2. "Company good but manager is the worst"

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and open culture
    Great long term career
    Flexible Working Hours
    Great trips
    Great recognition and income

Cons

Lot of downsides with current leadership. General Manager is not clear on way forward, which is really scary. My Managing Partner and team are not in synch with him.

Advice to Management

Desperately need a leader who can lead us. He has not a clue on what he is doing.. Anyone of our Managing Partners could do better than him.

"Sr. Executive Search Consultant"

I worked at Lucas Group full-time

Pros

Friendly office, a lot of autonomy, good training.

Cons

Despite some well tenured people, there's still a lot of high turnover.

5. "Senior Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Partner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Partner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LG offers an environment for you to thrive personally and professionally!

Cons

My commute is very lengthy.

"Is Lucas Group the Right Choice for a Millennial Salesmen?"

Former Employee - Executive Search Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Search Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed Autonomy that Comes with Success (Unlimited PTO)
    Full Desk Recruiting
    Chasing a Challenge
    Opportunity to Build your Own Collection of Clients
    Employee Expense Reimbursement
    Average to Above Average Benefits

Cons

Commission Based Pay: Sales Draw
    Extremely Poor Work-Life Balance
    High Stress-Human Capital Management

*The training program lacks charm, creativity and is tremendously dull. (90 Hours Live attached to your phone, gathering an insiders perspective on the business of recruiting-Sounds Exciting!)*

Advice to Management

The IT is outdated, and 30 days of 7 hr conference calls is excessive.

7. "Best culture and unlimited commission potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture. I worked at 2 firms previously. Both managed with a stick whereas Lucas Group manages with a carrot. They recognize performance, people and contribution.

Cons

Systems could be better and they are working on them.

"WE NEED HELP"

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some incredibly nice recruiters who genuinely care about their careers and helping those around them.

Cons

If you come from a diverse background, say what you think, understand recruiting don’t worry you don’t need to, Just be good about drinking with the executives and you're so in. If you're younger than 30, value work/life balance and self-respect then forget it.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate of younger people is not a poor refection of us. It's a poor reflection on managers and your outdated views.Learn to value your new employees, and don’t discount our ideas .

"DISAPPOINTMENT"

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Help former military find with jobs when they leave active duty!!! . The Lucas Group Military name has some name recognition, but they are driving it into the ground.

Cons

Build some training to teach employees!!! Stop the revolving door!! Many people come and go, and the ones who make it are not the people you would never want to hang out with. Stop your managers from being horrible and giving the leads go to their favorites. This is NOT FAIR!!!!

Advice to Management

Improve you communication, try to be a fair and honest, learn how to manage people, and fire your managers from top down. This will never happen because the CEO is married to one of them.

"Depends if you like money"

I worked at Lucas Group full-time

Pros

Hard to come by. Pretty decent people work there...

Cons

First off, it is an extremely saturated market and Lucas is just another recruitment firm. There really isn't anything that pops out about Lucas. There is no base salary and you live on a draw. You don't get paid until 90 days after a placement (a lot can happen that is out of your control and you won't get paid). Once a client has an account manager... nobody can touch that company. The recruiters just throw candidates at a position in hopes they will stick regardless of guidance of the AE. I have yet to encounter a company with the same rate of turnover as Lucas. There isn't a single Account Exec still there in just over a years time. Everyone shares logins to the same databases and calls the same people. Only the absolute top folks make any money there... a truly good year would have you at about 115K and that is a very far stretch and isn't happening for at least 2 years. If you are looking for a side gig or work part-time this could work. If you are looking to provide for a family or to make legitimate money.... Lucas isn't for you. Simply isn't a good comp plan and they simply don't care... They will just keep churning people through, which is fine, but know before you go. An example of their commission plan is:

100K salary at 20% of first year's annual salary=20K (Yay)
    20k=Split between recruiter and account exec (Shoot)
    10K= you get 35% (average...) of that 10K and lucas takes 65% (but i worked hard for the money)
    3500 (pre-tax) is paid to you a full 3 months after the person is on the job.

Whatever you have accrued for the draw is taken out of that 3500.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing because you think it is the right move... do the exact opposite of it. The way business worked in 1970 simply isn't going to work in the new day and age. Throwing candidates at a job in hopes it sticks will have the client sprinting away from you.

Also stop telling people they are going to make 100-300K a year. Does it happen.... yeah... with about 5% of the company.... who have been there for 25 years. NOBODY is coming in year 1 or even year 2 and making 6 figures. Just not going to happen... hence the turnover every few months. Doesn't take long to figure out!

Just try to be better people...

"Culture collapse"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lucas Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training has improves although our corporate Trainer has lost sight of the desk level. marketing tools slowly improving systems love my team.

Cons

The culture has become very matrix driven , tense, micro manager like a sweat shop

Advice to Management

Remember what used to make us great