Lufkin Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Jay Glick

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Lufkin Sales Manager in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Lufkin Sales Manager in Everett, WA

I worked at Lufkin Industries (More than a year)

Pros

Recongnized company into O&G market, strength in quality, good job environment

Cons

Need to still working in organization, and adapt to market requirements regarding times and technology.

Advice to Management

Changes and reorganization have affected directly the performance of employees. No forguet people is the best asset the company has.

2. "An eye opening xperience"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lufkin, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lufkin, TX

I have been working at Lufkin Industries as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with are in some cases very helpful. The town is quiet and people keep to themselves, if you like to stay to yourself, this is the area for you.

Cons

Management does not seem to care about their hourly workers, and they play favorites.

Advice to Management

Set an attainable standard and hold it, and take care of the hourly workers because they are the ones doing the work that is making the money for the company.

"OK"

Current Employee - Automation Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Automation Tech in Houston, TX

Pros

Work alone no one bothering you about your work

Cons

No communication from company about anything unless something is wrong
    No incentives,only a paycheck

Advice to Management

Get more progressive you lose a lot of your talented people

"Its a different experience from my former jobs, but its a job."

Current Employee - Class A Burner in Lufkin, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Burner in Lufkin, TX

Pros

The pay is good, and as long as we have orders, the work and hours are good. It has it `s good qualities. It`s a job without benefits.

Cons

The downsides of working there is our family values. when it comes down to having quality time with our families we have to work mandatory weekends and that is when most families spend time together. Its alright to work some weekends if we choose to do so. Not made to do it. Because some people like to work. I do at times, but I would like to spend time with my family on some weekends.

Advice to Management

Bonuses would be nice for the hourly employees, for jobs well done. We only get a fish fry for job safety every 200 days. I would rather see bonuses every quarter. And Christmas bonuses. We have never had a decent Christmas present from there since I been there almost 7 years.

6. "Engineer"

I worked at Lufkin Industries full-time

Pros

Since Lufkin was purchased by GE their health benefits package improved greatly. Employees gained access to GE's web portal which helps. Lufkin is a great place to raise a family. The engineering teams are very good people who generally treat each other like family. The company is over 125 years old which is no small accomplishment for a company in the oil sector. Cost of living is less than most areas.

Cons

Most of Lufkin's design Engineering is done at the Lufkin Plant in Lufkin Tx. Lufkin is not a town known for it's "list of things to do". It was registered as a Texas' retirement town. So it is not particularly easy for Lufkin to recruit young talent to the East Texas city. Lufkin is about 1.5 hrs away from the closest international airport. Lufkin has been know as a training ground for engineers. IE Engineers typically spend 2-3 years at Lufkin then move to higher paying gigs. Since the GE takeover, Lufkin has gone through many changes during the integration process. The effect of said changes is not yet known. During the oil crash of 2015 Lufkin laid off 30% of it's team.

Advice to Management

Allow satellite Engineering departments to be located outside of Lufkin to attract talent that is more likely to stay aboard for the long haul.

7. "Good place to work, but little time off and very oilitical"

Pros

Pay was good, but ahd to work 70+ hours a week to get it.

Cons

Often times the employees knew more about the production process than the leadership.

8. "Neutral"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Flexible time, not very pressure in work, easy to talk with managers, especially if you are an Engineer, easy to suggest a project

Cons

Not much benefits package, career perspective is not as good as comparing other big oil and gas companies, don't develop your skills and competences

Advice to Management

More time for employee training and development, give attention to internal PR, motivation of employees with benefits and extra activities