Luke-Dorf Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Howard Spanbock

"A wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was willing to work with me, schedule-wise, when I was a full time employee, so I was able to go back to school. The coworkers I had the pleasure of interacting with were all lovely people. There are a lot of team-building and celebratory activities to bring the employees together (they are not mandatory, either!). You know you're doing good for the community and are doing it in such an uplifting environment.

Cons

The fact that Luke Dorf is a non-profit means you won't be making top dollar. The work environment and flexibility made me OK with accepting a slightly lower wage than my other (union) job.

"Best company in this feild"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, you get to meet and work with awesome people, great training, fun and exciting and
    Very rewarding. You have the opportunity to be creative, go on adventures with clients and have all kinds of fun exciting experiences! We love to laugh and have fun at work! And dance! We love to help our clients happy and love life and learn and grow! It really is a great company!

Cons

You have to get out of bed in the morning. But atleast you get to go to a job you love!

Advice to Management

I love you all!

"Major Issues"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really have none.

Cons

This service is supposed to help underprivileged and at-risk people but they can't. The hardest pert of my day was having a mental health degree and working with underqualified workers who have no idea about any of the extreme issues the clients are experiencing.
    -They say it is for people wanting to get their foot in the door of Mental Health, they mean "If you can flip a burger you can work at Luke-Dorf."
    -The management was burned out and overworked
    They expected employees to work 2 or 3 shifts if a replacement couldn't be found.
    -They did not follow simple policy and procedure- which lead to several seriously dangerous situations for both employees and residents.
    -The whole operation is underfunded. All of the houses are falling apart, have major issues that go unfixed and can make both staff and clients sick.
    -Some clients are not placed in appropriate housing or situations making them liable to harm themselves or others.

Advice to Management

It was not just a difficult job, it was also a scary one.
    They need real management and people that have a healthcare background, nurses to administer medications, and psychiatrists that check in regularly at high-need locations. It is obvious you are severely underfunded, please invest in excellent grant writers and begin to bring in some funding so that you can repair houses, hire professionals and take the clients on outings. I felt defeated and sad every day after leaving work. In its current state I could never recommend this company to prospective employees or clients.

4. "Residential Counselor"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Gresham, OR

Pros

Less paperwork. Therefore more time to focus helping the client. I also love outdoors. Taking clients for trips lets me access the out doors.

Cons

Have to learn fast. Very limited training.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with RCs

"It's hard to recommend this employer"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kaiser insurance with "full-time" status (requires that you maintain 40 hours per week). They strongly encourage self-care. You can "cut your teeth" on the world of mental health and mental illness here BEFORE you commit to that area of college study. You can try it on, so to speak, to see if this field is for you. In that sense ONLY can I recommend it.

Cons

Be prepared to encounter some VERY mean-spirited co-workers at any of their residential locations. Lots (and I do mean lots) of backstabbing, gossip, selfishness and narcissism. Very, clique-ish. You will need a skin of Teflon to succeed. Generally, your coworkers are likely to be harder to deal with than the residents you're serving. Management will repeatedly pressure you to work Graveyard as those shifts are often without coverage.

Advice to Management

None.

"Good Organization to work for."

Current Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Supervisors are competent and inspire a strong team atmosphere. Staff members are willing to collaborate with one-another.

Cons

Need greater access to in-house professional trainings.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Administrative - Anonymous in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative - Anonymous in Tigard, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Long history of helping adults with mental illness. Staff is largely well- intentioned, competent, and great to work with.

Cons

This website still lists Howard Spanbock as CEO. Howard passed away in 2012, leaving behind a wonderful legacy. The new CEO has proven not to be up to the task. The administrative team has suffered greatly during his tenure, especially once he hired the current controller and operations manager, who has created to a hostile working environment. Administrative staff are harassed, yelled at, given unreasonable expectations, and asked to participate in unethical/questionable activities. Complaints to HR go ignored or employees are retaliated against for filing complaints. The bottom line: out of an administrative staff of 15 positions, 13 people have left in the past 18 months, which includes some positions being refilled more than once.

Advice to Management

The board needs to step in and replace the CEO with someone with vision, integrity, and the ability to successfully manage people.

"Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR

I worked at Luke-Dorf (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, great leadership, awesome coworkers, supportive environment, work/life balance, good benefits, meaningful staff meetings. At the Tigard office, you can learn a lot, get weekly supervision that you actually look forward to because you get help managing your caseload, ideas on how to best meet you clients' needs, and a general sense that you are not alone. The front desk person is so competent and helpful, and the QMHAs are always happy to help, too. I have never worked in such a supportive environment.

Cons

Low pay, not enough resources to meet clients' needs. There is some lack of clarity between the roles of clinical staff and housing staff that gives client a small opening to staff split. It can be overwhelming working with SPMI clients because they have so many challenges and barriers that keep them from stabilizing. It can be frustrating and sad. The electronic information system has some glitches.

Advice to Management

Hire a full time grants writer to research and write grants to fund permanent supportive housing for folks who cannot function in a traditional housing. Have more team building activities. Support more collaboration between treatment home staff and clinical staff. Pour your resources into the Tigard people and managers who are getting results and consider operating other Luke-Dorf locations under the Tigard umbrella so that all the offices can run in a uniform, efficient manner. Sometimes, you just need to admit something isn't working and let it go. The Tigard office should be the model. More training up front, especially with the computer system, would probably save money in the long run.

""It opened my eyes in a good way, but I would never do this again.""

Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Walk-In Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Luke-Dorf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good learning experience because I got to see how a whole segment of society lived that I spent most of my life oblivious to. That was a good thing, and I'll carry that lesson for the rest of my life.

The paid-time off policy is relatively generous, at least if you're coming in from other entry-level jobs.

Cons

The management, especially the middle management, tends toward being awful. It's a truism that turnover in mental health is extremely high, but my supervisors seemed to have embraced this fact and invest absolutely nothing in employee retention. I worked at one clinic for over a year, and I do not recall one instance of my boss saying something to the effect of "good job." You will work long days and be in tough situations, and nobody in authority will ever notice. It's easy to skate by being by marginally competent in this company, but nobody cares if you're actually trying.

My above statement applies in both clinical and residential settings. As a counselor in a house, I once had both the house manager and the administrator disappear for three straight days. The house was supposed to be double-staffed and I worked alone the whole time. There was a lot of other sordid things that went on with that disappearance. Suffice it to say the work environment can be toxic.

You will never be trained properly. My training as Walk-In Coordinator was virtually nil; I basically had to make up how to do my job on the spot. As you can imagine, this can be very stressful, especially when you find yourself in a crisis situation.

The pay is low. This shouldn't be a surprise, as it's a non-profit. It's even worse if you have a relevant degree, though. As a secretary, I made slightly less than most of the Masters level clinicians, many of whom had mountains of student debt for their degree.

God forbid you ever find yourself in a dangerous or traumatic situation. Somebody tried to kill themselves in front of me and I was never debriefed or spoken to. Thanks for weeks of sleepless nights and nightmares, Luke-Dorf. At least you got me to go back to therapy.

Finally, and this is probably a given, the work is hard. You work with difficult individuals, many of whom will get on your nerves, but more of whom will just make you feel depressed. I had days where I'd hide in the bathroom and cry, and I think of myself as a tough guy. This would be true at any company like this, but best to be prepared.

Advice to Management

Take some time to appreciate your employees. Small gestures do actually count for something, especially when it comes from your immediate supervisor and not just some mass e-mail.

"Educational"

Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - House Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Room for personal growth. Lots of education opportunities. Respectful. Not too many meetings at my job level compared to other similar positions at similar companies. Everyone I work with is committed to a job well done.

Cons

Dealing with the PSRB, the government, money, and the usual issue of social services. The PSRB and the field of mental health feel like they are tragically behind the times in what we know about populations of people in other supported service fields.

Advice to Management

I would like a stronger movement towards supporting people to actually develop skills to re-enter the community and move away from the warehousing model of mental health. I pray for support and wisdom to the leadership of L-D as they choose a new leader in the wake of Howard's unexpected demise.