Lulu.com Reviews

Updated Mar 8, 2022

Found 73 of over 78 reviews

3.3
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Learning how to fly.

May 27, 2021 - Customer Experience in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ample opportunity for growth. People here care about inclusion in the workplace. Folks want to see success in others, not just themselves. The SaaS mindset of the company is getting better. New office right next to Boxyard.

Cons

Still working on the shift to where this company wants to go and it’s slow at times. Resources are thin.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lulu is a purpose-driven community of professionals who remember to have fun.

Dec 26, 2020 - Junior Web Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lulu is a place where professionals can grow. I am constantly inspired by my colleagues and the creators/authors/professionals we support. Every colleague I've collaborated with at Lulu has always treated me with dignity and respect. This is going to sound corny but I wake up every morning super excited! I believe the work I do is impactful and I'm always learning a lot. Lulu lets me work from home when I need to. Lulu provides snacks and encourages folks to take a breather if they need it. I know that I will always be grateful for my experience at Lulu. Also, I have made connections at Lulu that will stand the test of time. I'm confident in Lulu's business initiatives because decisions are backed by data. For the same reason, I'm confident Lulu will continue to grow and innovate.

Cons

At this time, I cannot think of anything I don't like about working for Lulu. If I do have a concern or complaint, I'm lucky to have management who I can talk to.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

This company is just another tax write-off for Bob Young, let’s be real.

Feb 17, 2021 - Customer Voice Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good for a first job, good salary and benefits package for type of work. Fun office, free snacks, and genuinely sweet coworkers. Mac environment (pro for me). Extremely casual dress.

Cons

Undercurrent of tension between departments, higher-ups begrudge employees when they want to grow (so you’re forced to just leave), lack of transparency regarding growth opportunities (just pile on more interdepartmental work with the vague promise that there might be an open position “soon” in the department you hope to enter), customers are very stereotypically annoying and tiresome, superiority complex in certain departments, open office plan leads to noise complaints from other departments since customer service necessitates talking, the website is finicky, pointless and patronizing “training” courses on customer service-oriented things (managers need to justify their existence, right?). Overall, this company operates under the guise of coolness, but it only gives enough of a crap about employees to keep them from immediately leaving. It’s good at first... and then it isn’t. BUT if it comes down to two customer service jobs, take this one.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Lulu is a company that cares

Dec 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lulu cares about employees and values them. Management listens to suggestions and takes action to improve. The People team is constantly looking for ways to make Lulu better company to work at.

Cons

Growth opportunities can be scarce, but if you are patient and work hard, the right opportunity will come by.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be great, now outlook is bleak.

Jun 27, 2020 - A Customer-facing Support Position
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits - health insurance and 401k matching are great Flexible scheduling - allows for family time/ emergencies/ etc The company's mission is admirable

Cons

I absolutely adored working here for the first couple of years, but then they decided to launch "Lulu 2.0" ..... full of bugs and major issues..... in the middle of a pandemic. Suddenly, all customer-facing teams became the target of the consequences of the executive team's poor and hasty decisions. Couple that with the inability to give raises (due to the pandemic) for extra hard work and long hours, and you've got a company bursting with extremely unhappy employees who want to quit for the sake of their mental health.

8 people found this review helpful

Lulu.com Response

VP of People & Culture

Thank you for your review and your candid feedback. Your point about taking employees into consideration is extremely important. As we continue to look at our business strategy going forward, we will also stay focused and dedicated to ensuring we're hearing from our employees on important matters. From your review, it seems we have not been doing a good enough job. If you're open to it, I'd love to talk with you one-on-one and better understand your perspective. Please reach out to me via email. Thank you for your consideration. - Erin Miller - VP of People and Culture at Lulu.com.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A good place to start not to grown so much

Nov 24, 2020 - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Morrisville, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment Young feel company Flexibility Holidays Good Manager

Cons

Paychecks Growth Very competitive colleagues Boring after a while

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Lulu is a place for motivated and passionate individuals who can work as a team

Apr 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Our mission at Lulu is focused and sound, help the "every" author have a chance in an industry with little interest in empowering creators. Anyone working at Lulu knows this if they aren't staring out the window waiting for some other mythical super job. Take advantage of the opportunities around by getting involved and one will find Lulu starkly different from these glassdoor reviews. Unlike other reviewers claim, Lulu has a small management team that works tirelessly to further our core mission. I cannot fathom the recent comments attacking our CEO and the executive team. I have worked closely with all of them. They care deeply and are doing their best to innovate a stagnant industry. In many years past, yes we had management issues, but now they are all true spirits trying their best to support us all. It is hard work to innovate in an industry that does not want to change. I have come to appreciate the experience and patience our executives provide as we all wrestle with complex challenges. If anything they are arguably too supportive and listen too much. It has created an indulgent environment for a few bad apples that can't see past their own ambitions to the larger mission.

Cons

Negative ex employees bashing a great company on Glassdoor is the biggest con. I have worked closely with every manager and executive including our CEO. They deserve better. It is a bunch of biased self indulgent BS...

9 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0

Great Culture, Paying for Old Sins

Jul 29, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone who works here is great to be around. You'll finish debating something intense, then have a great chat afterward. You will make friends here. The culture is the best I've seen. I can't say enough good things about it. No one gives anyone trouble for leaving early to take care of a sick kid, because they trust you to finish what you need to get done. People actually eat lunch together. The vacation policy is great. The health insurance is less great, but it's still a lot better than other places. I genuinely like working here.

Cons

There's a steady business here that could really be strong if they focused on it, but that's not enough for them. The current leadership is the most promising since I've been here, but they're trying to do two years of work in six months with half the people. I understand. There are many large dull things that need to get done before they can do the cool things. But they are trying to do all of those large dull things at once. One after the other, so that problems from the last large thing never get fixed. I should be clear that they are paying for the sins of previous management. The new team has big ambitions and maybe the patience to pull it off. (The CEO listed on Glassdoor is the previous CEO.) An actual current con: There is not a single woman on the IT or programming teams. That's like twenty people. It's weird.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very happy working at Lulu

Jun 6, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been here for a few months now and have to say Lulu is a great place to work. The atmosphere is very entrepreneurial and engaging. The people here are smart, energetic, and most of all, passionate about the work we do and the customers we serve. Being a small company, there are a million ways any one of us can contribute and do something great, we are encouraged to take risks and think outside the box. And I should point out that the work-life balance is very good, it is not a sweatshop by any stretch of the imagination, the work we do is more important than the hours we keep. Almost every day I get to work with brilliant people from different departments and disciplines on projects that will shape the future of the company. I've worked for large and small companies in my working life and seldom has there been so much opportunity to make a difference as there is here at Lulu. It's truly what you make of it. I've never felt so welcome either - can't tell you how many people have said "I'm glad you're here working on this with us.." that NEVER gets old. The leadership team is very accessible and are always willing to listen to new ideas. I am very pleased with my decision to join this family of Lunatics.

Cons

Lulu is very much in a transition and that has been a tough road - but I give the management team credit for recognizing that their "cheese had moved" and making the decision to explore new paths.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Plenty of Room for Opportunities, but Not Much Handholding

Apr 6, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Lulu for many years, and while I've seen the ups and the downs, there is a genuine sense of the corner being turned. Sure, there have been distractions in the past with separate verticals, but now that the focus has turned back to doing what Lulu does best (servicing the needs of authors and businesses around the world in need of print), I have a new sense of optimism. The team I work with is filled with wonderful people, and at this point, most of the negative attitudes have left for other ventures. Atmosphere is nice, casual, and energetic. Obligatory snack room comment (though more options with less sugars would be appreciated).

Cons

The self publishing world is niche, in that there's not much training you can do externally to prepare you for working within the industry. By hiring people who are "bored of the product" or think we aren't exciting enough to sell, you only shoot yourself in the foot and discredit the hearts of the people who are passionate about the service provided. Those people also refuse to learn about the true benefits that Lulu can provide and end up floundering when new projects don't quite pan out.

10 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 73 Reviews

Lulu.com Reviews FAQs

Lulu.com has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 78 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at Lulu.com to a friend and 41% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Lulu.com employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Lulu.com. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

52% of Lulu.com employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Lulu.com 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Lulu.com to be work life balance, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be management, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Lulu.com Job Seekers