Lulu.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2019

Found 64 reviews

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young
  1. "Salary"

Current Employee - Exec

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good. Everything good. Love lulu

Cons

No cons at all. I love lulu

Advice to Management

Treat employees right. Increase staff benefit would be great

Lulu.com2019-07-30
  2. "amazing"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

amazing, clean, nice people,

Cons

to many people, always crowed

Lulu.com2018-10-08

January 21, 2019VP Marketing

Thank you! We pride ourselves on hiring amazing, clean and nice people! I guess we do get a little carried away and hire too many sometimes, but hopefully you're getting used to the crowd and will continue to enjoy it here!

3. "A Development Renaissance"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few year's ago Lulu went thru a change in technical leadership from the CTO all the way down. That leadership has brought in many progressive DevOps oriented concepts and has delivered several new modern products built upon a cloud hosted micro-service platform. The future is bright for Lulu.com!

Cons

None that I've seen so far

Lulu.com2018-08-16

January 21, 2019VP Marketing

SO bright, we gotta wear shades! Thanks for the review!

"So much potential, so much turnover, not enough focus."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The core product of this company—online, DIY self-publishing—is truly inspirational. Just about everyone who I worked with was talented and passionate about the work they were doing. For the most part, the atmosphere is relaxed and amenities such as free snacks and ping pong tables make the company feel more like a start-up and less like a stuffy corporate office.

Cons

There are many issues with this company, but I think the core of the problems can be boiled down to these two: Extremely high turnover - In the span of 3 years, my department's VP changed 6 times, my entire department was fired then rehired, I witnessed 2-3 massive layoffs in other departments, and the CEO was let go. This made it impossible to build traction on long-term plans, develop any kind of clout with... management, and build trust and familiarity with a team. Misguided leadership - At every turn we were told about some "newer better" product we were going to offer while at the same time the core product—the online self-publishing application—grew older and older without real updates. 6 months later, that new product would be cancelled and another would be announced.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core product! Make your online self-publishing application the best on the market, expand available printing options, make ebooks easier to understand, link API services ( Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, Wattpad, etc ) to the application to make it easier for people to publish, and build partnerships with more people in the publishing industry.

Lulu.com2018-03-28

August 16, 2018VP Marketing

Lulu has definitely experienced some growing pains and its fair share of missteps, but we've tried to learn from each one, including the feedback we read on these boards. We have an amazing Executive team right now that is very Dev focused and working on many of the very things you ...

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com part-time

Pros

- Great vacation days (you will always get holidays and weekends off) - Self driven job (gives you freedom to prioritize and no managers are consistently over your shoulder) - A true hour long lunch for those who need it on some days - Some great coworkers with a variety of interests - Lenient cell phone use for family emergencies

Cons

- Sectionalized office that almost makes each group a clique (not much team work) - Miscommunication from management - Limited ability to progress within the company (most if not all positions are filled) - High turnover rate due to inability to manage and lack of empathy for workers

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to communicate with their workers. Do not expect your employees to know how every online processing system work or have thorough knowledge of your products if you do not teach them. Ideally it would be great to provide a presentation on the products and more communication.

Lulu.com2018-01-09
  6. "Review"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with my team.

Cons

I wish the pay were higher.

Lulu.com2017-09-21

"Eh"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

The top postings are correct. The snacks and work life balance were nice.

Cons

The top postings for cons are correct. The CEO, Nigel Lee, is a liar. It is not even debatable. Managers were transparent and there was a ton of gossip, so when executives mess up or treat people poorly, people find out.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you care about them by spending time with them at work and not just at weird company meetings. I don't know if any of the executives even knew my name or noticed I left.

Lulu.com2017-04-26

"I'm so pleased with my job"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Since November 2015 I’m on and off working for Lulu, decided to start working full time for them in September 2016. The work has to be done, but it can be done in a cool environment with lots of cool co-workers, lots of personal input to get it done and on the side, enormous stock of snacks and drinks for everyone to grab. The full focus is keeping production time into the set boundaries so authors will get their... book(s) in time

Cons

From my point of view there is little to nothing to complain, I enjoy going to work and that’s all that counts

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the human face to all employees

Lulu.com2017-04-20

"Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, good culture, wonderful people, great place to cut your teeth in the technology space. If you put in the time and effort Lulu will help get your career off the ground.

Cons

Office location (Morrisville - RTP) Not the highest salaries when compared to other companies with similar positions High turnover

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. In the self-publishing space we have to continue to innovate to be successful. Any idea should be welcomed and vetted properly by management, no matter how small or who it comes from.

Lulu.com2017-04-19

"Unique chance to be part of a great time that is changing the industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open culture where each idea or approach can be freely discussed and adopted. No nonsense mentality and a place where everyone can feel themselves a mini-entrepreneur.

Cons

Adopting a strategy to grow as a multi-side platform made that some demotivated people left and were rumoring negatively around. Now full speed ahead!

Advice to Management

keep on going!

Lulu.com2017-04-18