Lulu.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2019

Found 64 reviews

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young

"The Ship is Sinking"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedules, and some of the best coworkers I've ever had.

Cons

Majority of the executive team is overseas and rarely seen in the office. Below average pay. Terrible location in ancient RTP. CEO that can not be trusted.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

Lulu.com2017-03-20

"glad i left"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

nerd gun fights, nice people, lots of snacks, cool building

Cons

no growth strategy, founding cel who helicoptered in and out and chasing chaos and pain...

Lulu.com2017-02-18

"Neat place with minor hiccups"

IT Professional

I worked at Lulu.com for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun and intelligent group to work with. You learn a lot, and the reasonably fast pace of work is just right. Grain of salt - this is working in IT. Don't have as much insight with other roles in the company.

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive, especially in "lower" positions. But hey, it's a smaller company and you've got to be as profitable as possible, so it's kind of understandable. I think there was a bit of an "identity crisis" a while ago - the company wasn't sure which direction it wanted to go! I hear things have settled down, but am no longer in the know.

Lulu.com2016-09-26

"Run."

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

They give you snacks and respect work-life balance. There is lots of flexibility with your work schedule. Some of the people you work with are rock stars.

Cons

You show up to work everyday waiting to see which one of your felllow employees is going to be let go. The turnover is ridiculous. Most salaries are about 20-30% what you can make at other jobs. Managers know your underpaid but won't fight for their employees. The company cares more about dev ops then the other departments. Senior management all live overseas and spend only a few days in the office each month. The... company always follows whatever shiny object they find and seems to run in circles.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to your employees. Having a town hall every 2 weeks and trying to tell everyone that nobody else is getting fired is not fooling anyone.

Lulu.com2016-09-16

"For the creative and confident, a great place to learn and grow"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I look back on the 4.5 years I spent at Lulu, I'm very grateful for the opportunities and experiences I had there. First, as you'll see in nearly all of the reviews, the people are great. They're the kind of people who are drawn to self-publishing and creativity, who want to work with authors and creators (no matter how weird) who are brave enough to share their ideas with the world. Everyone who works at Lulu... can tell you a story or two about the sometimes bizarre, sometimes brilliant, often heartwarming ways in which Lulu users interact with the platform. It's inspiring and fun. Lulu's culture is intentionally structured to foster innovation and risk-taking. Everyone on staff is encouraged to be dreaming up the Next Big Idea, and change is a constant. It's easy for people who are naturally curious and driven by a genuine interest in what they do to thrive in that environment. Growth may not always come in the form of a raise or a promotion, but the door to learning something new is always open. Those who are interested in the business, confident in what they have to offer and good at adapting to change will get a lot out of working at Lulu - whether they temp for six months or stick around past the 4-year mark.

Cons

Many team members are uncomfortable with the pace of change, and too much energy is spent worrying and complaining. The atmosphere turns toxic at times, and it can be tough to show up with a good attitude. On a few occasions, unfortunately, I witnessed disrespectful behavior that should not have been tolerated. It doesn't matter how plentiful the snacks are - nobody's performing at their best if they don't feel... respected or valued. If Lulu's culture of innovation is going to work it needs to be clearly communicated and consistently reinforced by leadership actions. The staff needs better support; they need good people management and mentoring so they can be confident and creative, instead of worried that their jobs will soon disappear (see other reviews). The departments with team leads and managers below the VP level fare better than others - so Lulu just needs to duplicate a model that's already proven successful.

Advice to Management

Keep striving toward aggressive, interesting goals, but take care of the staff as you do. Equip them with the encouragement, leadership and tools they need to enjoy the ride and benefit professionally from working at Lulu. If they have all that and they'd still rather work at a bank, there's no shame in recognizing it's just not a good fit - better sooner than later. Beyond that, the usual: formulate a strategy,... determine the roles and responsibilities the business requires, put smart, creative, competent people in the right positions, be transparent. Put that stake in the ground and always lead by example. I know you can do it, and I look forward to watching Lulu do great things in the years ahead.

Lulu.com2016-01-12

"Many Nice People"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Company culture is very positive with many things going on all the time. Very good work/life balance.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover at this company. It is also hard to tell what is going on with the company.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of turnover at this company. It is also hard to tell what is going on with the company as the building seems to be quite large for the number of people.

Lulu.com2016-01-27

"You work WITH great people, you don't work FOR great people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their are some quality people I worked with, bright, energetic. It has a great work culture for the first 6 months or so.

Cons

Complete lack of direction. Corporate strategy is constantly in flux. I had 6 different bosses during my tenure there. I calculated roughly a 60% turn over rate in the first year I worked at Lulu. I've worked at restaurants with better employee turnover than that when I was younger.

Advice to Management

Try and stick one strategy, build profits, sell the company to people who know what they are doing.

Lulu.com2016-02-04

"Avoid this place like the plague."

Former Employee - Customer Voice Advocate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free drinks and snacks, flexible schedule, and excellent people on the lower rungs.

Cons

I worked here for a few years, and each day was spent looking out the window hoping for something better. There are zero opportunities for advancement beyond applying for outside jobs. Layoffs happened on a regular and unsettling basis. Managers seemed to care absolutely not at all for the happiness or general well-being of their subordinates. Any dissent or constructive criticism, even when asked for, would be... greeted by taking the dissenter into a conference room and threatening them with termination unless they "improved their attitude." The company completely lacks direction, constantly re-inventing itself, then spurning the ideas and those who came with them when the new ideas didn't work out. Please believe the consistently negative reviews of this company, and avoid the comically positive ones planted by management.

Advice to Management

Please allow yourselves to move on to places of employment where your complete lack of managerial and administrative abilities would be exposed, rather than linger on in a place where your only real contribution is in laying good people off and tormenting those that remain. The people you manage deserve better than yourselves.

Lulu.com2016-01-31

"Stay Away!"

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

You will find team members that really care and are passionate about what they're doing.

Cons

Those team members will probably be fired or quit sooner than later because that is the culture at Lulu.

Advice to Management

Too much vision and no idea how to plan and execute.

Lulu.com2016-01-14

"Valuable Experience, Excellent Company"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down the most talented Engineering team I've ever been a part of. You'll be exposed to cutting edge technology and if a new piece of software is needed to get a job done there is no problem getting it approved. The DevOps team has helped me grow in ways I would have never imagined and because of this I'm much more confident in my ability to write software and program the web. HUGE stepping stone in my career.... Aside from the technical perks, the company as a whole consist of some of the kindest and most brilliant people I've ever met. Work/life balance is great and I've never had a problem getting time off to take care of myself or my family. These people are not just my colleagues, they are my friends. I am always finding myself invited to attend group lunches, tech meetups, and lots of fun company events. The comradery is what really makes this place feel like home and I'm truly blessed to have a job here. Benefits are excellent, 401k with employer matching, health/dental, stock options, the works really. One couldn't ask for more. Bottom line, this company is going places. I had no idea when I first got the job how established this company was. Lulu has already changed the way the publishing industry operates and now they are breaking into the education system. If you are lucky enough to get a job here, hold it dear and be prepared to LEARN.

Cons

Everything is a priority. Operating and maintaining too many lines of business at one time is frustrating. There is frequent change in the executive team.

Advice to Management

1) Listen to your Engineers. You are a tech company after all! We don't make this stuff up. If we tell you we need something, trust us! The web is constantly changing and those who refuse to acknowledge this AND adopt new practices are left behind (and it happens quickly). 2) Hone in on what's truly important for the business. There is a lot of noise that gets in the way of productivity. 3) Stop ignoring best... practices for accessibility/UX on the web. This is far more important than you realize! You have brilliant engineers who are very knowledgable in this area, ask their opinion and take their advice. This is, after all, why you hired them.. Isn't it? 4) Even the best team can only be spread so thin.

Lulu.com2015-11-11