Lulu.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young

"Rudderless comment is inline."

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people who really want to do well and contribute to the company. Flexible work, nice work space and good benefits.

Cons

Top management not to be seen. Lack of transparency. Fear of being laid off or fired lingers in the air. Too many cooks in the kitchen which making it hard who to know who is really driving and which idea to follow.

Advice to Management

Have clear goals and don't forget to communicate them directly to the teams. Be visible.

Lulu.com2016-01-09

"Good people"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Employees are very committed to the business. Lots of comradary.

Cons

Never know when you will get let go as part of a downsizing.

Advice to Management

Figure out where the business is going

Lulu.com2015-10-17

"Rudderless company, and poor opportunity for career growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is generally good. Taking care of non-work issues every now and again is never questioned and respected as long as the work gets done.

Cons

The company feels like a shell after years of excessive turn-over. Identity, Mission, and Values all seem to be missing. Departments in the company do not work well together. Unfortunately, the customer's experience is often lost in interdepartmental friction which further lowers quality across the board. The company is very poor at prioritizing its work/initiatives. In my time with the company, Quality never... won in the Time-Cost-Quality tradeoff decisions on any project. Speed is paramount above all else, with constant hollow promises to "address issues in the future" that go unaddressed indefinitely due to overwhelming concurrent business initiatives. This lack of attention to quality is systemic throughout the company and seems to be ingrained as a part of the culture.

Advice to Management

Define objective goals with timelines to measure success (and failures) of the company, make them known to everyone at the company, and stick to them.

Lulu.com2015-10-21

"Trying to do more with less leads to quick burnout"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, work-life balance, flexible work schedule. Excellent, smart people. The product truly enhances the lives of the people who use it. Not afraid to can people who are lazy/not producing.

Cons

Layoffs frequent (sometimes involving people who shouldn't be laid off), company tries to do the work of a startup without the budget of one. The technical platform in use is old and in need of replacement, but the company doesn't do anything worthwhile to it and wonders why sales/customer growth are declining. Major bugs still open 5+ years later. Constantly chasing "the next big thing" which is really the same old... thing that they did 3 years ago unsuccessfully.

Advice to Management

Either invest and grow the business you're in or ride it into the ground with what you have in place now. You can't do both.

Lulu.com2015-08-26

"Nice place day-to-day, constant fear of turnover"

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

Ping pong table Stocked pantry Nice people Collaborative atmosphere

Cons

Constant turnover - everyone lives in fear of getting fired

Lulu.com2015-09-07

"Great environment for developers"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, coworkers, casual environment, no egos, work-life balance. I read some of the negative reviews before I interviewed, but a few seemed very similar and referenced or mirrored each other so I ignored them, and I'm glad I did. The team wasn't afraid to talk about it once I was hired either, but no one is stuck in a 'darker' time either. The interviewing process weeds out people with bad traits that don't... work well and this team is GREAT. They have rebuilt from the top down and I am excited to go to work because everyday is a new challenge and a new problem to solve... and the developers are allowed to solve them! The whole team is given a voice in major decisions, and this team has become like family to me in a very short time. If you know your stuff and love to work on a developer-centric team, this is it!

Cons

I'll let you know when I find out. It looks like the 'too much change' problem is ironed out for a while, but business is business. I haven't seen anything like some of the negative reviews (especially the one that seconds an almost year-old review)

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees well and you will keep employees well. If the current initiative goes well, just make sure to keep giving us the time, resources and freedom to solve problems and innovate

Lulu.com2015-07-30

"Great co-workers and work environment"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Lulu has the ability to find extremely talented and passionate people.

Cons

The business is pursuing too many challenging projects without having enough staff to support these initiatives.

Advice to Management

To be more agile in the market, we should give enough room for projects to be evaluated by the customers and build around an experience and not a one-shot product.

Lulu.com2015-07-12

"Great Culture, Paying for Old Sins"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Everyone who works here is great to be around. You'll finish debating something intense, then have a great chat afterward. You will make friends here. The culture is the best I've seen. I can't say enough good things about it. No one gives anyone trouble for leaving early to take care of a sick kid, because they trust you to finish what you need to get done. People actually eat lunch together. The vacation policy... is great. The health insurance is less great, but it's still a lot better than other places. I genuinely like working here.

Cons

There's a steady business here that could really be strong if they focused on it, but that's not enough for them. The current leadership is the most promising since I've been here, but they're trying to do two years of work in six months with half the people. I understand. There are many large dull things that need to get done before they can do the cool things. But they are trying to do all of those large dull... things at once. One after the other, so that problems from the last large thing never get fixed. I should be clear that they are paying for the sins of previous management. The new team has big ambitions and maybe the patience to pull it off. (The CEO listed on Glassdoor is the previous CEO.) An actual current con: There is not a single woman on the IT or programming teams. That's like twenty people. It's weird.

Advice to Management

You've switched strategies, but you're still doing to much. Focus! Or hire more programmers! But take the names off the resumes before looking at them.

Lulu.com2015-07-30

"Egos and lack of direction create an unhealthy work environment"

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

The salary was decent for the industry.

Cons

Read the review dated July 6, 2014. I second it. Communication was extremely poor. There was no team environment unless you just agreed with the upper echelon; therefore the company is stagnant and in danger of failing because they fire the talented people who have new ideas.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Stop making random, "lunatic", spur of the moment decisions. Your real talent is walking out the door.

Lulu.com2015-07-09

"Could have been worse"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were mostly nice.

Cons

Multiple layoffs made for bad inter-office dynamics.

Lulu.com2014-11-05