Lulu.com "free snacks" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Employee Reviews about "free snacks"

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 65 reviews

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young
Pros
  • "This was a huge help with work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Benefits are great, free snacks in the break room, Pool Table, Foosball, Movie Fridays, and many many other great things(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I really enjoyed the agile development cycle at Lulu but this process will get thrown out the window when a hard deadline comes up(in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management continues to make bad decision after bad decision(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "free snacks"

Return to all Reviews

"So much potential, so much turnover, not enough focus."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The core product of this company—online, DIY self-publishing—is truly inspirational. Just about everyone who I worked with was talented and passionate about the work they were doing. For the most part, the atmosphere is relaxed and amenities such as free snacks and ping pong tables make the company feel more like a start-up and less like a stuffy corporate office.

Cons

There are many issues with this company, but I think the core of the problems can be boiled down to these two: Extremely high turnover - In the span of 3 years, my department's VP changed 6 times, my entire department was fired then rehired, I witnessed 2-3 massive layoffs in other departments, and the CEO was let go. This made it impossible to build traction on long-term plans, develop any kind of clout with... management, and build trust and familiarity with a team. Misguided leadership - At every turn we were told about some "newer better" product we were going to offer while at the same time the core product—the online self-publishing application—grew older and older without real updates. 6 months later, that new product would be cancelled and another would be announced.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core product! Make your online self-publishing application the best on the market, expand available printing options, make ebooks easier to understand, link API services ( Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, Wattpad, etc ) to the application to make it easier for people to publish, and build partnerships with more people in the publishing industry.

Lulu.com2018-03-28

Lulu.com Response

August 16, 2018VP Marketing

Lulu has definitely experienced some growing pains and its fair share of missteps, but we've tried to learn from each one, including the feedback we read on these boards. We have an amazing Executive team right now that is very Dev focused and working on many of the very things you described in your Advice section. It's unfortunate you're no longer here to experience the growth and successes we've had over the last 6-8 months, but hope you've found a place that suits you better. Thanks!

"Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came here from one of the big companies and declining other "big" company offer thinking if this is a great decision or not. I made one of the best decisions ever working at this place. Team, co-worker and management work together as family. This is the place where management treats employee as part of the family and not as "just" another employee in the company. Benefits are great, free snacks in the break room,... Pool Table, Foosball, Movie Fridays, and many many other great things. Best place ever.....

Cons

I have not figured out any downside but have seen lot of great opportunities...

Advice to Management

Management is awesome and wish them the same way going forward!!!

Lulu.com2017-04-12
  3. "Unstable"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty office, nice location in downtown Raleigh, free snacks and coffee

Cons

Constant layoffs. At first they were announced and people were let go in groups. Then the sniping started. They stopped even telling us when someone was gone, you'd just notice one day that a desk was empty when you went to look for the person. It felt very random- even the people who were the original 6 employees, who had been with Bob through thick and thin from the beginning, got let go. For no good reason I... could see. I personally was not let go, but I felt a strong pressure to find another job ASAP before I could be. And I was right- half of my team got cut 1 week after I left. And we were in engineering, the core part of the business!

Advice to Management

Less churn will result in more productivity.

Lulu.com2013-04-09

"Was great for a short period, but went downhill fast"

in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

An earlier review was correct - the breakroom is awesome. There are tons of free snacks, sodas, coffee choices. Most of the people are also great to work with. The atmosphere is relaxed at first and the team stays relatively young.

Cons

There is a very real lack of direction/focus. This leads to quite a bit of infighting and some really undesired political actions. Sometimes, politics can be great in a company, if they are in check. This is hardly the case at Lulu. Turnover is incredibly high and the company is on it's 7th version of senior management (in 9 years). For the people who work incredibly hard and are very talented, morale is low as... a result of the company's leadership problems.

Advice to Management

There were some great initiatives that were began years ago, which have been abandoned, probably to Lulu's detriment. My advice would be to reign in the direction/leadership of the company and return to the time when Lulu truly cared about its authors, readers, and employees.

Lulu.com2011-07-04

"Lulu is full of wonderful, smart people, but it's not suited for long-term employment."

Product Marketing Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

Great random perks: the coffee is amazing, the fridge and shelves are stocked with free snacks, there's a ping pong table and a basketball court. There is an obvious attempt to make employees feel appreciated. The management works under the premise that happy employees are productive ones. Additionally, the people at Lulu are always willing to help you out. There is a true sentiment of teamwork. I solicited the help... of virtually every department during my tenure there, and everyone I worked with was a true delight. Also, senior management is very visible. On my first week as an intern, I talked to Bob Young about the evolution of Lulu's logo, the CFO about Boston, and the CPO about Bob's habit of wearing red socks. They care.

Cons

Two words: job security. There is an amazing amount of turnover at the company, especially considering how qualified everyone is for the positions they hold. If something goes badly, someone gets fired. Especially with senior management- there is little room for error. Constant turnover leaves people feeling insecure.

Advice to Management

I would rather feel like I'm allowed to take risks and mess up sometimes than have free cheese in the fridge. Trust the people that work for you- you hired them for a reason. If a return on investment isn't as strong as you would have hoped, maybe it isn't solely the executer's fault. And even if it is- now that person knows what to do differently. A new person may not.

Lulu.com2010-12-15
  6. "Lots of change"

I have been working at Lulu.com

Pros

casual atmosphere, free snacks, benefits

Cons

A lot of change, company is struggling, leadership changes every few years

Advice to Management

keep management around long enough to do something good for the company.

Lulu.com2015-01-13

"it's not worth the effort and pain"

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

On the surface seems like a startup silicon valley company, with free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Lack of cohesiveness, resources, focus and direction from the leadership. Too much dirty politics, managements takes side in the political games. Dissent is not encouraged, it is my way or highway. No motivation for employees to excel. Morale is very low. Employee turnover rate is very high.

Advice to Management

Keep a check on out of control politics, encourage employee growth and training, encourage their feedback.

Lulu.com2011-07-31

"Was good in past, going downhill."

I worked at Lulu.com

Pros

Free snacks, sodas, coffee. Friendly People. Lot to learn if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

Complete lack of direction and focus. Lot of politics. Turnover is incredibly high. For the people who work incredibly hard and are very talented, morale is low as a result of company's leadership problems. Decisions are made on ad hoc basis. There is no recognition for hard work. employees are not valued as an asset. It is not a good place for long term employment.

Advice to Management

Value your customers and employees. It is hard to get talented people, manage them well.

Lulu.com2011-07-12