Lulu.com "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 29, 2019

Found 64 reviews

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young
Pros
  • "This was a huge help with work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Benefits are great, free snacks in the break room, Pool Table, Foosball, Movie Fridays, and many many other great things(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I really enjoyed the agile development cycle at Lulu but this process will get thrown out the window when a hard deadline comes up(in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management continues to make bad decision after bad decision(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"It's Just Okay"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

• Get to work with cool people. • People are passionate about their jobs.

Cons

• DO NOT TRUST CEO! • Lots of layoffs. • Upper management continues to make bad decision after bad decision. • Upper management does not care about their employees. Why the hell do you move your office to another city? I know it is hard to make money when you literally run a promotion all the time but the move to Morrisville was a slap in the face to your workers. • They shot themselves in the foot when they started running lots of promotions years ago. Now they must always have a promotion to make any money. It's pretty ridiculous. Oh... today is the 27th day of the month... lets give you 27% off your next purchase! Not creative! • They start a new company every year and the company usually dissolves into nothing, i.e. Picture.com, Picture.com 2.0, Replay, Lulujr, and now Glasstree. Lulu.com is the only company that has ever made you money. Invest in Lulu.com and not the shiny piece of trash in the corner.

Lulu.com2017-03-20

"The bleeding will… not… stop."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health plan, good break room with snacks and coffee, good conference rooms and bean bags to rest on, not forced to work long hours, good people in some departments who genuinely care about what they do and help each other out, good opportunity to feel connected to your customers, Customer Voice team is excellent, B Corp program is led by a great leader.

Cons

Someone told me to not take the job during the interview process. One of them tried to talk me out of working there — boy were they right. Upper management is quitting on bad terms and people are getting fired without any notice. The pay was really low in comparison to the companies, but you expect that to be offset by working for a company with supposed real values, and a sense of purpose and community. However thanks to the CEO, that is now a farce. Employees are being told to do things that would put their careers in jeopardy. Everything is go-go-go without proper planning or customer analysis. It's just wasting money and resources to try to make irrelevant metrics look huge. The bleeding will… not… stop. The only reason you will want to work here is if you are desperate and have no other options left. Then once you are working there, find another job– IMMEDIATELY.

Lulu.com2017-03-20

"Where did the great workplace I was hired into go?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great idea, Smart workforce, CEO is inspirational, great location, excellent tools. The product and the approach to the customer was initially great. A disruptive technology that looked after the author. Bob Young is the kind of person that you love to hear speak, when he shows up and actually talks to you, you would follow him just about anywhere. The building is beautiful, location is great. lulu make special effort to get the best equipment to each employee.

Cons

Huge turnover, no strategy, management insulates itself from the workforce, employees walk around in constant fear, to voice your opinion is putting a target on your back, no advancement opportunities. People are leaving right and left. Either by their own choice, to be the inevitable lay off or disappear without a word. There used to be e-mails and announcements when people left but there have been so many that the communication has stopped. Just a lot of empty desks. Upper Management rarely leave their corner or talk to the team members. The strategy keeps changing, -- no more photo books, now photo books is the hot thing, "sell lots of services" then" stop selling services because we can't keep up", "outsource services". Hard to know what we are really doing. We have fancy meetings to announce the new strategy and we are all supposed to fall in and pretend we don't remember the 3 previous strategies. If you make the mistake of saying something about how this doesn't benefit the customer or it is short sighted you better watch your back because your days are numbered. But "speaking up " is a core value, really? When I got hired we were growing and running out of room; now everyday there is less of us and business growth is almost non-existent.

Lulu.com2013-07-25

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Full-time Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Snacks? It's pretty sad if snacks are the biggest pro to working for a company. I can bring my own snacks and feed myself.

Cons

Contant turnover, underpaid, overworked, upper management has no sense of what employees who are at the company every day do, upper management expects underpaid people to work overtime. Not in a million years. I was honest happier when I was unemployed for a few months. I at least had sanity and happiness. RUN like wildfire if HR calls you in to interview. They will try to hire you for as little money as they can. Everyone knows the company is going under.

Lulu.com2013-05-02

"Nepotism, no recognition, and no direction make it frustrating to work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

-Awesome product & website. -Many under-appreciated and amazing co-workers. -Great coffee selection. -Free drinks and snacks. -Beautiful building and environment. -No dress code. -Great resources to do your job (modern computers, nice monitors).

Cons

-No job security - Layoffs happened every 3-6 months and were very discreet. They don't reward loyalty by training other skills, which makes everyone paranoid that they will be let go. -High Turnover -Low morale -Nepotism -Friends hire their under qualified friends while qualified employees get little recognition. -Fly by night strategies with zero follow through. Goals change every month. -Ridiculous amount of dirty politics, more so than average. -Compensation is way under industry average - many co-workers had second jobs. -No internal cultivation or growth potential, unless you're friends with the right person. Stagnating career path as more unqualified acquaintances get hired and groomed for moving up. -Good ideas rarely put into motion since upper management seems always distracted and out of touch. -Very little communication between management and workforce.

Lulu.com2012-08-23

"The previous Four-Star review from HR, translated by a real employee."

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

"The self-publishing business is a fast paced, constantly evolving business. So is Lulu." ("Evolving" so fast that projects are abandoned half-way through and the managers let go.) "Even after 10 years, there is still an entrepreneurial feeling in the air." (Because nobody knows what they're doing; 10 years is much too long to still act like a start-up.) "And, like other technology businesses I have worked for, you must be able to lean into the unexpected twists and turns, or you may fall out of the cart." (Lulu has pushed 17 people out of the cart in the last two months alone. There is no attempt made at working with employees to improve their work or find better positions for them. Positions are eliminated and re-posted with slightly different job titles.) "For me, every day is a different challenge, I am often pushed out of my comfort zone, but I have learned so much form the coworkers who are always willing to share their knowledge and experience when you ask." (Which is a relief; because managers don't share that knowledge with you, you must gather information piecemeal from multiple departments.)

Cons

"Wall flowers and those not capable of speaking up for themselves may get left behind." (Exactly the opposite, actually. Speak up against the wrong people and find your position eliminated. There are cliques of upper management that might as well wear matching jackets; they do not like to be disagreed with.) "There are a lot of energetic, charismatic, and smart people inside this building. That is obvious by the number who have been recently poached from the ranks." (It is true that the people hired at Lulu, for the most part, are talented, intelligent, and hardworking. That's the only reason I'm giving two stars instead of one. However, I'm not sure I'd call it "poaching" so much as "wearing a target and handing the hunter a gun." Turnover rate, whether through eliminated positions or job-hunting while at work, is incredibly high, even for a young technology company. )

Lulu.com2012-12-29