Lulu.com "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 29, 2019

Found 64 reviews

3.6
Lulu.com CEO Robert Young (no image)
Robert Young
Pros
  • "This was a huge help with work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Benefits are great, free snacks in the break room, Pool Table, Foosball, Movie Fridays, and many many other great things(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I really enjoyed the agile development cycle at Lulu but this process will get thrown out the window when a hard deadline comes up(in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management continues to make bad decision after bad decision(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Not perfect but I enjoyed coming to work each day"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Your coworkers are awesome. Never once was there any issues between coworkers within my team. Even my overseas teammates were super friendly and awesome. • The work environment is great. Casual dress, snacks, lots of laughing, fun company activities. • Many opportunities to learn. I started at Lulu straight out of college and there were several very smart people that took me under their wing and taught me so... much. Everyone is willing to help and Lulu gives you plenty of room to grow. • Cool projects. When I started I got to work on brand new code that I got to help develop from the ground up with a small team. I was not just doing bug fixes on legacy code. It was an awesome experience. • If you are interested in something or have an idea of a different way to approach something you are able and encouraged to explore it. • If you need to work at home once in a while it is not a big deal. This was a huge help with work/life balance. • Good benefits and above average PTO.

Cons

• Your coworkers are awesome but there is so much turnover that you are always worried someone will leave or be fired. …Or that you will be fired. • There is a lot of pressure to make deadlines (and stay late) for deadlines you weren’t involved in deciding. Having to work late and weekends isn’t the norm but every once in a while is basically required – or you will get talked to. I really enjoyed the agile... development cycle at Lulu but this process will get thrown out the window when a hard deadline comes up. Final thoughts- No company is perfect. I enjoyed coming to work every day and left for reasons not related to Lulu.

Lulu.com2017-04-17

"What drives you?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For those driven by purpose and wanting to be a part of helping authors get their content published, for those comfortable with change and liking to adapt to industry and technology changes, for those who value teamwork, camaraderie and creativity, this is a very good work environment with excellent people. Employees do work hard but the atmosphere is informal. Management is very flexible with work/life balance... needs.

Cons

There's been a lot of turnover so seeing your peers leave is hard, whether for reasons of relocation, bad fit, new opportunity, etc. The pace is very fast and it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Communicate often and get your middle tier involved. Keep employees informed on the key things that are driving the company forward and why they're important to the business and its growth. Same things apply to most companies these days.

Lulu.com2017-03-30

"Eh"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

The top postings are correct. The snacks and work life balance were nice.

Cons

The top postings for cons are correct. The CEO, Nigel Lee, is a liar. It is not even debatable. Managers were transparent and there was a ton of gossip, so when executives mess up or treat people poorly, people find out.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you care about them by spending time with them at work and not just at weird company meetings. I don't know if any of the executives even knew my name or noticed I left.

Lulu.com2017-04-26

"Low pay, low recognition, poor leadership"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

My hourly coworkers are stupendous. Admirable work/life balance. Flexible schedule. Relaxed environment.

Cons

The pay in most departments is lower than it needs to be. The amount paid for ads is higher than it needs to be. The number of falsities told during the company meetings should be zero. It is not zero.

Advice to Management

Tell us the truth. Pay us fairly. Give us attention. Listen to us. Do not let other employees take advantage of the hourly workers. Notice when an employee doesn't have enough work to fill the day. Lazy employees bring down a whole department.

Lulu.com2017-04-12

"Run."

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

They give you snacks and respect work-life balance. There is lots of flexibility with your work schedule. Some of the people you work with are rock stars.

Cons

You show up to work everyday waiting to see which one of your felllow employees is going to be let go. The turnover is ridiculous. Most salaries are about 20-30% what you can make at other jobs. Managers know your underpaid but won't fight for their employees. The company cares more about dev ops then the other departments. Senior management all live overseas and spend only a few days in the office each month. The... company always follows whatever shiny object they find and seems to run in circles.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to your employees. Having a town hall every 2 weeks and trying to tell everyone that nobody else is getting fired is not fooling anyone.

Lulu.com2016-09-16

"Many Nice People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lulu.com full-time

Pros

Company culture is very positive with many things going on all the time. Very good work/life balance.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover at this company. It is also hard to tell what is going on with the company.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of turnover at this company. It is also hard to tell what is going on with the company as the building seems to be quite large for the number of people.

Lulu.com2016-01-27

"Valuable Experience, Excellent Company"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down the most talented Engineering team I've ever been a part of. You'll be exposed to cutting edge technology and if a new piece of software is needed to get a job done there is no problem getting it approved. The DevOps team has helped me grow in ways I would have never imagined and because of this I'm much more confident in my ability to write software and program the web. HUGE stepping stone in my career.... Aside from the technical perks, the company as a whole consist of some of the kindest and most brilliant people I've ever met. Work/life balance is great and I've never had a problem getting time off to take care of myself or my family. These people are not just my colleagues, they are my friends. I am always finding myself invited to attend group lunches, tech meetups, and lots of fun company events. The comradery is what really makes this place feel like home and I'm truly blessed to have a job here. Benefits are excellent, 401k with employer matching, health/dental, stock options, the works really. One couldn't ask for more. Bottom line, this company is going places. I had no idea when I first got the job how established this company was. Lulu has already changed the way the publishing industry operates and now they are breaking into the education system. If you are lucky enough to get a job here, hold it dear and be prepared to LEARN.

Cons

Everything is a priority. Operating and maintaining too many lines of business at one time is frustrating. There is frequent change in the executive team.

Advice to Management

1) Listen to your Engineers. You are a tech company after all! We don't make this stuff up. If we tell you we need something, trust us! The web is constantly changing and those who refuse to acknowledge this AND adopt new practices are left behind (and it happens quickly). 2) Hone in on what's truly important for the business. There is a lot of noise that gets in the way of productivity. 3) Stop ignoring best... practices for accessibility/UX on the web. This is far more important than you realize! You have brilliant engineers who are very knowledgable in this area, ask their opinion and take their advice. This is, after all, why you hired them.. Isn't it? 4) Even the best team can only be spread so thin.

Lulu.com2015-11-11

"Rudderless company, and poor opportunity for career growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is generally good. Taking care of non-work issues every now and again is never questioned and respected as long as the work gets done.

Cons

The company feels like a shell after years of excessive turn-over. Identity, Mission, and Values all seem to be missing. Departments in the company do not work well together. Unfortunately, the customer's experience is often lost in interdepartmental friction which further lowers quality across the board. The company is very poor at prioritizing its work/initiatives. In my time with the company, Quality never... won in the Time-Cost-Quality tradeoff decisions on any project. Speed is paramount above all else, with constant hollow promises to "address issues in the future" that go unaddressed indefinitely due to overwhelming concurrent business initiatives. This lack of attention to quality is systemic throughout the company and seems to be ingrained as a part of the culture.

Advice to Management

Define objective goals with timelines to measure success (and failures) of the company, make them known to everyone at the company, and stick to them.

Lulu.com2015-10-21

"Trying to do more with less leads to quick burnout"

I worked at Lulu.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, work-life balance, flexible work schedule. Excellent, smart people. The product truly enhances the lives of the people who use it. Not afraid to can people who are lazy/not producing.

Cons

Layoffs frequent (sometimes involving people who shouldn't be laid off), company tries to do the work of a startup without the budget of one. The technical platform in use is old and in need of replacement, but the company doesn't do anything worthwhile to it and wonders why sales/customer growth are declining. Major bugs still open 5+ years later. Constantly chasing "the next big thing" which is really the same old... thing that they did 3 years ago unsuccessfully.

Advice to Management

Either invest and grow the business you're in or ride it into the ground with what you have in place now. You can't do both.

Lulu.com2015-08-26

"Great environment for developers"

I have been working at Lulu.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, coworkers, casual environment, no egos, work-life balance. I read some of the negative reviews before I interviewed, but a few seemed very similar and referenced or mirrored each other so I ignored them, and I'm glad I did. The team wasn't afraid to talk about it once I was hired either, but no one is stuck in a 'darker' time either. The interviewing process weeds out people with bad traits that don't... work well and this team is GREAT. They have rebuilt from the top down and I am excited to go to work because everyday is a new challenge and a new problem to solve... and the developers are allowed to solve them! The whole team is given a voice in major decisions, and this team has become like family to me in a very short time. If you know your stuff and love to work on a developer-centric team, this is it!

Cons

I'll let you know when I find out. It looks like the 'too much change' problem is ironed out for a while, but business is business. I haven't seen anything like some of the negative reviews (especially the one that seconds an almost year-old review)

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees well and you will keep employees well. If the current initiative goes well, just make sure to keep giving us the time, resources and freedom to solve problems and innovate

Lulu.com2015-07-30