Lumber Liquidators Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Knowles

Pros
  • Good benefits, Great people, good middle management (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule, growth potential is fantastic (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to maintain a great work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Some poor business decisions by upper management have negatively impacted the company's reputation and integrity (in 19 reviews)

"Do yourself a favor and stay away!`"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awful! Terrible! The worst! There is nothing good to say about this terrible company.

Cons

Everything was awful. Pay, work conditions, schedule and management

Advice to Management

Do everyone a favor and just go out of business

"They really just don't care."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss was great, and most of many employees we went through in a whole 2 years were good people also.

Cons

All employees are very expendable. Pay is bad for what is expected. Customer base is probably the worst I have experienced might be due to the awful name, let me elaborate; first Lumber is in the name, we don't sell lumber. Second, Liquidators is in the name we don't liquidate anything. LOL We sell the cheapest product for the cheapest price and get the cheapest customers which are horrible to deal with. You have no discount opportunities to give so no customers feel like they're getting a good deal, hence why they don't come back.

Advice to Management

Staff your stores better and get a better designer. Everything is cheap looking in the stores and bright yellow it looks like a damn yard sale.

"Nothing is what it seems"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Olympia, WA

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no image coming to my mind of a single positive attribute about this company other than all the beer I had to consume nightly just to decompress from the worst days I ever worked in my life!

Cons

Cons...where do I start...hopefully you have enough room for it all...

Relationships mean absolutely nothing to this company regardless if you are a customer or a lowly employee doing master's bidding.
    You are paid far too little while being expected to do the work of three to four people due to staffing being not even classified minimal.
    Your body is stressed to the limits when team lifts should be required as well as nonblack braces provided plus not even five minutes to clean up after rolling in warehouse dust before having to greet the next customer. When you are hired you expect there to be roles in place upon what you are sold on at the interview but it means nothing & your body will pay the price.

Financially the bonuses are weak at best with all credit to the manager but none to assistants who do all his bidding ran ragged & only asked to do more.
    Each day you'll receive hatemail from corporate & regional so called "leaders" stating enough is never enough, that you are worthless if you do not meet a goal even not having seen enough people in a day to get close. The blame game is constant from those same individuals expecting you to hold a customers arm behind their back until they buy. News flash: some people literally need a chance to look!!!

The standards are ridiculous for a company called a liquidator where everything is just cheap, risky purchases with no ability to negotiate with a customer. A company of this magnitude can afford some negotiation room!

But then all the questions about products needing to be replaced or chemically unsafe & the policy is literally the minute it leaves the store no one cares. Or if a manager makes a mistake it's no big deal if the customer is put out or cancels but God forbid if an assistant does then you are nearly fired over losing a $500 dollar sale in a company that averages 5-10 thousand per sale!!!

I conclude with the largest piece of the puzzle: hours & over time! You are expected to devote your entire life to this company no matter what happens! They will change store hours expecting 12 hour days mandatory with no assistance, demand over time for conference calls that all you are told is how worthless you are as an employee, & you need a minimum two month advance to take one day off without a write up. You will be quite literally be worked to death & paid nothing for it!

Advice to Management

Close & re-evaluate why you started the business. Your customers will make & break your business yet you allow them to be unhappy, write horrible reviews & treat your employees like garbage without any resolution.

Your employees need positive environments & to feel supported by their superiors not treated like they're worthless. I have seen the United States Marine Corps in the foxholes treated much better than your employees feel treated & are even asked by customers "are you ok" when you've stressed them beyond the maximum limit!

Literally I am begging you, please close your company & sell off to someone who will actually care for everyone involved from customers to employees not just the superiors!!! I plead with you please stop making everyone suffer from your negligence!

Good day to you!

5. "Not good"

Pros

Place is in organized and management has no control as well as you never see faces it's all internet based and nothing is consistent

Cons

Working there and being part of lumberliquidators

Advice to Management

Manage your assets and learn how to hire people that actually know what they are doing

"Admin"

Pros

Great people who cared a lot about the company

Cons

Bad leadership who put the company on a bad track

"Run Away!"

Former Employee - Manager In Training in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say ! They don't train or develop new hires at all! Base pay is a joke.

Cons

Really everything! Keep doing what you are doing and you will be out of business!

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Company was once a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Good Pay, Advancment Opportunity, Tom Sullivan

Cons

Work Life Balance, Corporate Support, Training, Leadership

Regional Managers who think they can treat employees terriblly to see if they can " take it" and if they can't well we don't need them. Terrible mentality to have,

Good Ole Boys Club- If your part of the club you can get away with things that at other companies you would be fired on the spot. If you aren't on the inside your not valued and are considered disspposiable .

Advice to Management

Identify a leader at the corporate level. The company seems to be spiraling out of control without a captian steering the ship. If someone steps up and lets the employees know yes we have been thru hell the past 1.5 years, yes we appreciate all of you who got us to this point, and here is how we are going to turn this company around the business will be successful. I gave my heart and soul to LL for many years and when I left no one said thank you for your contributions, my regional manager made me feel like a traitor. You need veteran employees who feel valued.

"AVOID!!!"

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time

Pros

Decent bonus program, as long as you hit your goal. That's pretty much the only pro.

Cons

No one in upper management communicates properly. Regional Managers are hired from outside the company and have ZERO product knowledge.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Stop hiring people who have zero product knowledge, it doesn't look good when they have to interact with customers and know nothing.

"Lumber Liars"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orchard Park, NY

I worked at Lumber Liquidators (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and great health care

Cons

No family life. Do what they want and you won't get fired. Company does illegal things and gets caught and doesn't help people in the stores on how to deal with the problems. Poisonous Chinese floors and Lacey act violations!

Advice to Management

Stop doing illegal things or at least don't get caught. I'd go with the first one!

"awful place to work run away!"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Lumber Liquidators full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

To be honest the only pro I have at this point was I got out. it really is a draining and horrible job.

Cons

it's one of the most negative places to work. the regionals that in the north east are some of the worst people. they are all under qualified for their position especially the Md,VA,DE,Pa market but they are good at taking out the poor sales on all the store managers. They have know idea how to do there job or what it takes to be successful and help support the stores but they do regurgitate the corporate dribble really well. Never mind the company's awful reputation which is absolutely deserved. they'll expect you to knowing lie to customers about the cheep junk floor they sell. I just couldn't carry the company line for them anymore I have to live in my community and just as a person I couldn't lie to my customers on behalf of a company that treats its people and costumers like crap at every turn. All the really good people have left and that are left are the bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Management

You all would have to fire yourselves. I'm serious about that. it's actually funny and all the store managers use you guys as the butts of their jokes because your clueless to the fact that you are the problem. Then again I'm not surprised you have a bunch of circuit city retreads. (I shop there all the time) and now some Lowes hacks who got clipped for treating there employees like crap also. I am serious about you guys firing yourselves.