Lumen Reviews

3.3
Lumen CEO Jeff Storey
Jeff Storey
1,172 Ratings

What people are saying about Lumen

Join the conversation on

Tech

209.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Lumen~248324
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are good and the actual fiber network is good once it is up and running.(in 507 reviews)
  • "Good work Life Balance but not more than that(in 363 reviews)
  • "The pay is good and the product line is broad(in 312 reviews)
  • "Great people on the local level who truly care about their jobs and taking care of customers.(in 302 reviews)
  • "Good to settle down for a lazy life and less learning if the salary is good(in 101 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management and too hard of a push on sales above everything.(in 278 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership from CenturyTel still have the 'Old Bell Company' mentality where employees and customers should be seen/pay their bills and not be heard.(in 116 reviews)
  • "As a result the majority of the good managers and directors that had the years retired.(in 107 reviews)
  • "CenturyLink upper management has been in turmoil for some time, and is not able to make or follow through with a plan.(in 101 reviews)
  • "They have no training for critical job functions and then they blame you if you do domething wrong(in 92 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lumen and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Broadband Technician

Apr 18, 2022 - Broadband Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and technology driven company.

Cons

Could have fiber network in more areas

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Employees Treated Well, Systems Outdated

Apr 18, 2022 - Network Designer II in Broomfield, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lumen treats their employees very well with yearly bonuses (when funded), many events with free food and other goods, and a positive and engaged culture. The pandemic definitely had some negative effect on Lumen's ability to continue engaging with employees in person, but I don't blame them for this. In fact, they have been very receptive to whether employees want to return to work or continue remotely. When I first started with Lumen, they had a comprehensive Ops Academy in which they taught us the ins and outs of Lumen's networks and they then placed us in different roles fitting our skillset and interests. Many of my fellow classmates in this course did not have a strong background in telecoms, so I applaud Lumen for building up their employees in this way and creating an avenue for more people to explore this career path. Also, Lumen is a large company with many positions to move into, which creates a wonderful path to learn different sides of the network and work your way up into higher positions.

Cons

My only complaint about Lumen has been some of the very outdated systems we dealt with. Some of the technology is quite old and slow. Throughout my time with Lumen I dealt with frequent crashes, glitches, and systems that would become very slow and laggy. I recognize that running such a large network creates a major difficulty in creating systems that can bear the load of so much information, but I would like to see more of a drive to improve these systems than I have.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Have a Plan

Apr 20, 2022 - Customer Success Advocate in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The tenured teammates are always willing to help. - The company has great strategic partnerships. - Pay is typically better than other telco's - Free access to trainings and certifications with partners like Cisco, Fortinet, Azure, VMware, etc... (Take advantage of this) - After 12mo, you can apply for tuition reimbursement up to a certain dollar amount per year. (Take advantage of this)

Cons

- Systems are a nightmare. (slowly getting better) - Account bases change every 4-8mo so long term relationships are hard to form - You will have to hunt for the best perks that come with the job. - Upper management is made up of experienced and smart individuals, it just seems that they are operating off of false information. I don't think they are aware of the realities we experience on the front lines. - Building off of that, you be measured on 10 different KPI's each quarter. That's too many things to focus on. Break those responsibilities into different roles or increase headcount to decrease accounts per rep. - November to February is layoff season. (develop a strong internal network)

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Stay away from non-corporate jobs

May 13, 2022 - Forecast Analyst in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

No positives come to mind honeslty

Cons

While working at Lumen/Centurylink for 5 years I received one 3.5% raise after 5 years of being a top rated employee. There was a horrible culture where with enough years you could get away with murder and not be fired for anything, but your treated like crap if you don’t have 15 years under your belt. If you work work they’ll reward you by giving you more work with no increase in pay. I was hired as a contractor with the plan that they had to hire me full time after 6 months, but they immediately went back on their promise. The senior leadership are self-serving idiots who don’t understand their own business and will gaslight your at every opportunity. We were able to prove that the Minneapolis market needed to hire 200+ techs to get their numbers in line and they not only ignore it, but laid off more techs on top of it. There’s a lot more, but suffice to say don’t work for this company unless you can get a job in the corporate office.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Overall good with cons

Jan 13, 2022 - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good, pay is good. A lot of incentives are offered. You may join the Union which is great as it provides a lot of mediation on a lot of issues. Most of the supervisors are well trained and good at coaching. This is a huge benefit. You are required to act with honesty and integrity with customers and if you don’t, you likely won’t last. Calls are recorded so customers can’t say you said something you didnt say. I love work from home! This is a major plus in my book. Rules are strict mainly because employees have abused rules.

Cons

No increase in PTO until you’ve been there 7 years which is excessive. I say pay is good because it could be much better for the stress involved. Quotas, especially for TV are high. We get screamed at a lot by angry people and are expected to shut up and take it. Aka, customers are allowed to abuse you. Training is way too short and too many reps are put on calls without proper knowledge, leaving the rest of us to clean up their messes. This upsets customers and cuts into our call time. They won’t cover at home expenses such as internet, etc. as most businesses do.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great Manager

May 23, 2022 - Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm lucky to have an amazing manager!

Cons

Such a big organization you can get lost in the suffle

Be the first to find this review helpful