Lumina Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Harris

"Good job in a tough industry"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working on pet and hobby related titles is fun and interesting. The work environment is fairly laid back and you may have the ability to work from home or some degree of flex time, although that will depend on your supervisor. Benefits were fair. All departments are generally understaffed, which is not a "pro," but it does mean you have the opportunity to do a lot of different things and build multiple skills within a single role.

Cons

As with the publishing industry at large, there's no job security here. Sometimes it feels like you're going to Schroedinger's Job: It's both dead and alive until you turn on your computer and find out if the company still exists.

2. "Waste of time."

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros. Since there is a 20 word minimum in order to submit I will just say if you are looking for a company to dedicate your time I would go elsewhere.

Cons

Disorganized. Chasing their tails. Struggling. If you are looking for a company to dedicate your time I would look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Wasted enough time. Moving on.

"Don't work for this company!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, really. Everything that was good about this company is now gone.

Cons

Unstable management. Serious lack of leadership at the top levels. Hiring and firing people constantly. Launching new products without doing due diligence. No 401k match. The new name Lumina Media is just a pathetic attempt to distract people from what a disaster this company has become.

Advice to Management

Stop playing around with peoples livelihood and make better decisions. Do some research before launching new products. Start accepting that the best days of this "media" company are way behind you.

"A new lame-o name isn't going to save this sinking ship..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There might possibly be worse places to work? Coal mine?

Cons

Terrible management. Clueless owner who is watching his large fortune turn into a small one. Owner would rather bring in self-promoting outsiders and expensive "consultants" than listen to employees with experience in the industry. These "big thinkers" cause chaos, eliminate people right and left and leave big messes behind and then they are eventually fired. They never last. Toxic workplace. Numerous layoffs in past three years. A publishing company that is far more interested in ad revenue than what consumers actually want to read.

Advice to Management

Stop posting positive reviews of the company on Glassdoor. No one believes them.

"Great Outlook!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Lumina Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in sales and we constantly have new products to sell with unlimited upside to make more money. We have flexible hours and never have to work on weekends so the work-life balance is really good. We have so much to sell, can't get to it all. That's a good problem to have. Our team is pretty solid, and while there is always pressure in sales, we have a pretty good time.

Cons

new CRM system has been a challenge, but our management is helping us through it and considers our feedback.

Advice to Management

401K plan would help.

"Fun, Fast Paced, Room to grow."

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Lumina Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible schedules, and great benefits: insurance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, holidays. I can bring my dog to work! The company even has a social squad that organizes fun events for employees to break the routine of each month. There are so many opportunities in the sales department to make money, and lots of support from the company to help you do it. It's a fast paced environment, so you're always busy and motivated. The company invests in the development of the sales people with training on all products. There is a huge selection of products available, so from a sales standpoint there is something for everyone and customers are happy and loyal. Upper management listens to opinions and makes changes when they make sense.

Cons

Although there are 401k plans, the company does not match contributions.

"Uncaring, unfriendly staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and medical benefits. The HR department is organized and well-informed. The compensation was fair for the size of the company.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Everyone I worked with was unfriendly and miserable. There was no team attitude there. The cubicle walls are so high that you can't see the person sitting next to you. I felt alone among many people who were very unhappy.

Advice to Management

Give a damn about your employees' success and happiness. Supervisors sit in offices and rarely interact with employees, so feedback is rare. Learn some real people skills and take an interest in the success of those who work for you. There is no leadership whatsoever. This is the worst atmosphere I have ever encountered.

"Frustrating place to work."

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lumina Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are a pet lover, it's about pets. If you are a horse lover it's about horses. Editorial is high quality.

Cons

High expectations, low resources. Far too little investment in circulation, and low understanding at the highest levels of what it takes to invest in a build a quality audience that comes back regularly. Training is non-existent. And the it situation is abysmal. Who ever is in charge of web-tech strategy has a limited understanding of building audience, so we are left behind by competitors in the main area of growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Invest in people and in content. Don't expect miracles. The HR department is too fearful to be helpful, and slows everything people related.

"Chaotic in the aftermath of taking over Bowtie."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a paycheck as long as it lasts

Cons

chaotic environment, hiring and firing/restructuring. Management doesn't want to be held responsible

"Best days of this company are in the past."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Lumina Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some wonderful people work here. Good introduction to publishing industry.

Cons

Salaries have been stagnant for 3 years. Layoffs have been non-stop since 2011. Company will probably dissolve so current owners can write-off losses they inherited from previous owner.

Advice to Management

No sense giving them advice since they won't listen anyway.