Lumity Reviews | Glassdoor

Lumity Reviews

Updated May 1, 2019

Found 22 reviews

3.6
Lumity CEO Tariq Hilaly (no image)
Tariq Hilaly
  1. "Not without hiccups, but a whole lotta heart"

Current Employee - Senior Content Strategist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Lumity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lumity is on a full-steam mission to bring transparency and accountability to the health insurance ecosystem, and I like being a part of that (most employers are waaaay overspending for what their employees actually get). I learn something new, daily, about the quagmire employers and employees face navigating the system.

Cons

Like many tech companies, the hours can be long--and the days fly by in a way that defies the space-time continuum (we call it "Lumity time"). Also, because most employers (and our clients) renew their health plans on January 1st each year, we have a peak busy season during open enrollment. It's all hands on deck. For those new to the health insurance & benefits space when they join (like me) the learning... curve is steep.

Advice to Management

Keep shining a light!

Lumity2019-05-01
  2. "More good than bad"

I have been working at Lumity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, very open to communication, friendly people who all get along well

Cons

Long hours are expected, can seem disorganized

Lumity2019-04-23
  3. "Bringing order in the eye of the employer health plan / benefits storm"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Lumity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a technology driven company powered by people who work hard to make a difference. This is a model of the future for any organization that can 'get it right'

Cons

We are continuously iterating on the model, organizational design, and client experience. That can create a fair amount of internal movement for many roles - similar to many startups - but do not expect your typical 'CSM' / 'Sales' and any business or client facing roles. You need to adapt and the one thing in life that is constant is change - embrace it and you will succeed as a team.

Advice to Management

I am part of the management team, and so I take full accountability with the rest of the team for business strategy, employee experience, organizational design, and goals and success. We have our own implicit biases, fears, ambitions, and we work towards overcoming them as human beings. When we make mistakes they are magnified, and we are mindful of those consequences.

Lumity2019-02-08

"Startup Without Structure"

I worked at Lumity

Pros

Solid health insurance plans; Food and snacks; Yoga

Cons

Poorly-structured and poorly managed; Unconcerned with employee development; No clear path for career growth; Expect well beyond 40 hours from salaried employees during busy season; Management speaks disrespectfully to employees often; Roles and responsibilities are poorly defined and volatile.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and concern yourself with their growth. Find a more efficient and secure way to manage your data. Never speak disrespectfully to employees. Set defined roles that don’t change willy-nilly. Properly staff your teams. Check up with your employees regularly. Let them know you are open to criticism and will reflect on said criticism and act accordingly in favor of employee satisfaction. Evenly... distribute your workload. Etc. Oh, and don’t play favorites!

Lumity2018-11-27

"typical crazy start-up"

I have been working at Lumity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment, where "veterans" have been here 6 months and have performed almost every function in the company. They've been extremely helpful in bringing me up to speed and helping me navigate the systems.

Cons

It's a start-up, which means it's unstructured chaos and that environment isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do their job.

Lumity2018-04-27

"Technology is the future of benefits"

I have been working at Lumity full-time

Pros

Fun work environment and a great team which makes it enjoyable to come to work each day. Many diverse cultures and backgrounds that work well together to make a great product and experience for our clients. If you are looking for growth, this is the place to be.

Cons

Lumity is a young company that is growing fast and has experienced some growing pains. Workflows need to be streamlined. However, the company understands this and is working hard to make improvements.

Lumity2018-03-06

"Fast paced, hard work, involved and rewarding."

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Lumity full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth for individuals who are willing to put in the time and effort, and good work is acknowledged. The work atmosphere is fun and relaxed, and everyone is very nice and good-humored. There are free snacks, and lunch is provided every week, sometimes multiple days.

Cons

It is a startup, so expect a lot of work. Management is a little hands off, so you have to be able to manage your own time and be able to work without having someone constantly monitoring you.

Advice to Management

Be more selective when hiring, maybe provide more training. Would recommend having more free time from the Senior staff available for one on one questions and training.

Lumity2018-02-16

"Disheartening..."

I have been working at Lumity full-time

Pros

No meaningful pros to share

Cons

Part of the excitement for working at a start-up is knowing that your late hours, hard-work, and open-mindedness may be rewarded with the chance to grow and learn at an exponential rate. However, the opportunity for growth and success in this organization is non-existent. Career growth that employees develop by trying new things and learning from their experiences is not possible at Lumity. In this job, there are... only arbitrary tasks and goals. The only way to be “successful” is to be favored by someone on the leads team or to be Lumity’s “ideal employee” which is an individual that keeps their head down and suggestions to themselves. The high employee churn rate is an indication of employee dissatisfaction. Taking a look at the last 5 months, I would estimate the employee turnover to be about 25%. The leads team may attribute the high rate to people that were “bad hires” or “not able to deal with the demands of a startup” but in my time here, I don't feel that any current employee or new hire ever expected a walk-in-the-park. Most employees, including myself, were quickly disheartened after realizing your real responsibilities are tedious, counterproductive, and any proposals or recommendations to improve the day-to-day operations are promptly shut down by management.

Advice to Management

Embrace the innovative, self-starting, and hard-working people that have been handpicked and hired by you. Recognize employees who do measurable and good work instead of those you give preferential treatment to. The office culture here is significantly lacking. You cannot expect employees to deliver exceptional service without first setting the example yourselves.

Lumity2018-03-25

Lumity Response

October 6, 2018VP Marketing

Hi there. I know you were in a function that encountered high churn. Neither clear expectations nor clear outlines were delineated for you. We have made steps to improve this over the past 12 months. We're still not there yet. Brokerage operations is complex, and it always feels ...

"Unlimited Potential"

I have been working at Lumity full-time

Pros

The culture here is one of work hard, play hard. But hard work gets rewarded. The people that work here are great. Broad diversity and backgrounds contribute to a strong team. The industry has near-unlimited potential to grow. Perks are great, unlimited PTO!

Cons

While things can change quickly, I believe this to be an asset. This is a startup, and being nimble is essential.

Lumity2018-02-21

"Hopeful"

I have been working at Lumity full-time

Pros

Coworkers are dedicated to doing a good job and care about their clients. They are also friendly and welcoming. Great benefits package. Open communication environment where everyone can give input. Customer first culture. Dinner paid for by company if you're working late. Lot's of company team activities for a company this size. (Trampolining, go kart racing, happy hour or other activities each month.... Coworkers have clubs like poker club, book club and others.)

Cons

Management did a bad job of screening some new hires by hiring a few people who were gossips and perpetually complaining. Year end is full of days with long hours because of the nature of the benefits business.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of making sure that you're hiring the right people. Look at the problem employees you've had and the bad feedback on Glassdoor. Those people should not have been hired. They have been as destructive after being fired as they were when they were here. We had to put up with them while they were here, and that could have been avoided. You have so many people here who are dedicated to building a great... company. You've also been fortunate that you have great clients and a company that is growing quickly. Continue to trust in those people that are here working hard every day. Make sure that you make customer focus and job competence an important part of the company culture.

Lumity2018-01-23