Lumos Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Steve Berkowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had!

+ I love working with one artist to make an experimental game in a few months.

+ I love the friendly teams who volunteer their time to preview the customer experience. They made a big difference and taught me a lot!

+ I love the trust of my teammates in my experimentation.

+ I love the flat organization where anyone is available, yet we respect each other's time highly and schedule very few meetings.

+ I love the healthy catering and subsidized Equinox gym membership. 4-years of these perks of working here has improved my mind and body's wellness and fitness.

+ I love the quiet library.

Cons

This is the highlight of my career so far. The following sometimes challenges my confidence:

- Each day, I get distracted by a lot of casual and committee-style chatting. Part of my distraction is the open floor plan and my own introversion. Part of my distraction is the dissonance between purported business goals and day-to-day culture: I wish the chatters were hands-on working. There's around 25% of work hours scheduled for sharing knowledge, collaborating, and team meetings, team bonding, committee decision making, that I'd estimate 50% less work gets done, since those meetings generate follow-up work to do that is based on opinion-driven meetings. This throws off quite a bit of the priorities from the work that has hard evidence backing up its profitability. Those that contribute the least (due to skill-set mismatch, job description, or lack of their management) talk the most, which is distracting and a drain on the whole team's success.

- Each week, I get impatient with some managers talking about adding value to customers, when I wish the managers were making simple financial forecasts, researching business intelligence and doing the simple and obvious work first rather than prioritizing high-risk, high-cost projects whose major upside is that it's really fun work to do (I enjoy the work, but have modest forecasts out of what customers get out of some the experiments with less financial evidence).

- Each month, I get impatient with games that were blocked from progressing for over a year, and then excuses get made, and new people get hired, but the real causes of the blockage: lack of managerial accountability, and financial forecasting of these decisions. It's a drain on my enthusiasm when around 10% of my work held in limbo for months and the criteria for acceptance get changed in the meantime.

Advice to Management

Broadcast financial forecasts of risky projects or features, and even day-to-day small features or improvements.

Expect tighter deadlines for minimally viable products.

That will necessitate: the simplest, cheapest solution first.

Transparently and visibly broadcast which small teams accountable and autonomously authorized to deliver. Like SuperCell, hire capable team members that deliver autonomously.

Focus all OKRs on raising customer-metrics rather than focusing some OKRs on spending money.
    Ask everyone what they personally did (not what they said) to deliver the next game or feature. Do not accept talking as action.

Keep it simple. There's a lot of financial streamlining and product cadence that can be lifted simply by doing the simple things with the proven tech, proven skills, and measurable outcomes.

In general: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound goals.

2. "Innovators Rewarded"

Current Employee - Senior Game Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The energizing entrepreneurial spirit and perks of funded start ups still thrive even as Lumos grows. After months at Lumos I continue to be excited about future and daily work, thanks in part to the integrity of the product and research going into it, the way the culture rewards new ideas and initiative, respects individuality and peoples different needs for daily schedules/work-life balance, and where coworkers are all at the top of their game, yet demonstrate professionalism over ego driven politics. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

The company is operating in something of a new frontier, and those looking to apply "tried and true" best practices or past experience, whether business or recreational game based, might be surprised at how differently this educational-health related tech services market behaves, that, and how legislation is struggling to catch up. Possibly as a result the leadership at Lumos still seems to be figuring out a long-term vision, which leaves more room presently to innovate, but sometimes offers less clarity in the exact direction the company is and will take.

3. "Super awesome place"

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are the best I've ever been a part of. The company treats us well. The product and the space we're in are interesting.

Cons

If your goal is to get rich, there are better places you can go to achieve that goal. Which is to say: Lumosity is not currently an IPO rocket ship.

4. "Great culture and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people! The environment is fun and collaborative, and there's no hierarchy. People generally have a lot of freedom to choose what they want to work on and learning is strongly encouraged. New and innovative ideas are welcome at every level and across the organization. Benefits are great (fresh groceries everyday, free lunch 4x a week, free gym membership, insurance coverage for family, happy hour every Friday), and there are tons of team building events.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that people feel no sense of urgency and things don't get done as quickly as they could be. Hard questions are sometimes not tackled. Teams tend to work in silos and we could benefit from more collaboration across different parts of the company.

5. "Literally wonderful"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lumosity has fantastic culture, a laid back attitude with a respect for deadlines, and intensely creative and friendly atmosphere, and just a bunch of good people. I was an intern here two years ago and was after the full time job almost immediately. After some work, I got it, and freakin love it.

Cons

There are definitely moments of indecision. Because we have so many ideas flying around, and because people are generally willing to let you try things, it also means some ideas die with no explanation and others sit around in purgatory. You have to become the cheerleader for your own projects. On the same note, it is NOT for people who don't have personal motivation. Managers will give you slack when you ask for it, and so if you take too much of it, will result in a negative impression of you, which can lead to all sorts of things.

Advice to Management

Kill ideas! We'd all much rather have you say "No" than "Maybe,"

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of perks, great work life balance, and it's awesome being surrounded by passionate and smart people everyday.

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit hard to get things done, especially if you have to work with different teams.

7. "People are treated very well."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are VERY well taken care of. There's the typical meals (breakfast foods, catered lunch, various coffees), but I think where Lumos shines is the attention to detail that they pay to having quality foods and the "little things" that keep people happy to be in the office. The people that I work with are generally pretty happy and cordial to one another.

Cons

The product roadmap has been often far too short for functional planning. This is getting better, and is a direct by-product of using data to make decisions, but it still needs some improvement.

Advice to Management

Attempt to plan further ahead. Continue sharing those plans out as we do now.

8. "I love working at Lumosity"

Current Employee - Senior Games Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Games Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and schedules, flat hierarchy, collaborative environment, smart and fun colleagues, opportunities to make a big impact, lunch and snacks in the office, fun parties and company events. management is open to change and feedback.

Cons

no 401k contibution matching, flat hierarchy can sometimes leave decision-making nebulous

Advice to Management

please add 401k matching
    please reward bonuses to employees who refer individuals who are hired, but not to an official open req ( currently seems to only kick in if the referral gets an open req )

9. "Finance Director"

Former Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lumos Labs (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great product. People feel like they are making a difference.

Cons

Lack of clear lines of responsibility.

"Lumosity was the best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lumos Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lumos isn't just a company, it quickly becomes your second family. There are companies that optimize for money and companies that actually care about culture. At Lumos, the company actually cares about the employees. The perks are of course amazing. The new management team is experienced and knows what they're doing.

Cons

There's been a lot of change in the last year or so. Lots and lots of ups and downs, but the most recent changes have all been for the better. There has been a lack of product vision for quite some time now, but with the new changes I believe the company definitely has the ability to turn itself around.

Advice to Management

Define a clear product vision and make the execution transparent. You have a talented group that cares and wants to take the company to the next level.