Lumos Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Steve Berkowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had!

+ I love working with one artist to make an experimental game in a few months.

+ I love the friendly teams who volunteer their time to preview the customer experience. They made a big difference and taught me a lot!

+ I love the trust of my teammates in my experimentation.

+ I love the flat organization where anyone is available, yet we respect each other's time highly and schedule very few meetings.

+ I love the healthy catering and subsidized Equinox gym membership. 4-years of these perks of working here has improved my mind and body's wellness and fitness.

+ I love the quiet library.

Cons

This is the highlight of my career so far. The following sometimes challenges my confidence:

- Each day, I get distracted by a lot of casual and committee-style chatting. Part of my distraction is the open floor plan and my own introversion. Part of my distraction is the dissonance between purported business goals and day-to-day culture: I wish the chatters were hands-on working. There's around 25% of work hours scheduled for sharing knowledge, collaborating, and team meetings, team bonding, committee decision making, that I'd estimate 50% less work gets done, since those meetings generate follow-up work to do that is based on opinion-driven meetings. This throws off quite a bit of the priorities from the work that has hard evidence backing up its profitability. Those that contribute the least (due to skill-set mismatch, job description, or lack of their management) talk the most, which is distracting and a drain on the whole team's success.

- Each week, I get impatient with some managers talking about adding value to customers, when I wish the managers were making simple financial forecasts, researching business intelligence and doing the simple and obvious work first rather than prioritizing high-risk, high-cost projects whose major upside is that it's really fun work to do (I enjoy the work, but have modest forecasts out of what customers get out of some the experiments with less financial evidence).

- Each month, I get impatient with games that were blocked from progressing for over a year, and then excuses get made, and new people get hired, but the real causes of the blockage: lack of managerial accountability, and financial forecasting of these decisions. It's a drain on my enthusiasm when around 10% of my work held in limbo for months and the criteria for acceptance get changed in the meantime.

Advice to Management

Broadcast financial forecasts of risky projects or features, and even day-to-day small features or improvements.

Expect tighter deadlines for minimally viable products.

That will necessitate: the simplest, cheapest solution first.

Transparently and visibly broadcast which small teams accountable and autonomously authorized to deliver. Like SuperCell, hire capable team members that deliver autonomously.

Focus all OKRs on raising customer-metrics rather than focusing some OKRs on spending money.
    Ask everyone what they personally did (not what they said) to deliver the next game or feature. Do not accept talking as action.

Keep it simple. There's a lot of financial streamlining and product cadence that can be lifted simply by doing the simple things with the proven tech, proven skills, and measurable outcomes.

In general: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound goals.

2. "Better than most companies but limited growth"

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time

Pros

People, perks, and an amazing product

Cons

No time to work on personal projects

Advice to Management

Culture is not as flexible as it used to be years back

3. "Great people, rocky product execution"

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time

Pros

The people who work at Lumos are wonderful, smart, and have their heart in the right place. It's a fun environment to work in, with a lot of autonomy.

Cons

Lumos hasn't yet figured out how to really execute well on product goals and chart a meaningful path towards constantly improving and innovating to remain at the forefront of the market.

"Friendly and supportive culture solving challenging problems"

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time

Pros

Team-centric approach to solving problems
    Company really does care about brain health
    Supportive environment
    Culture is relaxed, but we all expect one another to work hard and to learn/grow.
    No need to work crazy hours unless you want to; it's not expected by anyone.
    People are genuinely nice/friendly across the company. Egos are not a problem.

Cons

Management team is currently in flux with regards to how they want to function or what they represent. Be prepared to give feedback on how *you* want to be managed, or what type of support you will need.

Advice to Management

Find out how to identify your top performers more regularly, as well as how to help those you feel need more support. Since everyone is so nice, it is very possible and likely support is needed but the feedback is falling through the cracks when others don't want to sound too negative.

"No place is perfect, but this place comes close!"

Pros

The people. Hands down, the best people I've ever worked with! Employees are smart, interesting and laid back. I can genuinely say that coming to work cheers me up when I'm feeling down. Everyone is passionate about the product and about each other. We have people from vastly varying fields learning from each other. I've been given opportunities to learn and grow here that I never expected but have thoroughly enjoyed.

The product is innovative and at the edge of its field. While this can be scary, it feels great to be breaking new ground at the intersection of enjoyment and improvement. I think we're truly proud of our offering.

Cons

We've erred on the side of giving too much freedom. While freedom in work is great, we've struggled with setting constraints and direction. Additionally, sometimes our processes can be too democratic or idealistic, which makes us unable to execute as quickly as we probably should.

Advice to Management

Rather than bringing everyone into the decision making process at the onset, include only major decision-makers initially. Create an environment where people feel comfortable giving feedback, and put your decision out there for review.

6. "Innovators Rewarded"

Current Employee - Senior Game Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The energizing entrepreneurial spirit and perks of funded start ups still thrive even as Lumos grows. After months at Lumos I continue to be excited about future and daily work, thanks in part to the integrity of the product and research going into it, the way the culture rewards new ideas and initiative, respects individuality and peoples different needs for daily schedules/work-life balance, and where coworkers are all at the top of their game, yet demonstrate professionalism over ego driven politics. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

The company is operating in something of a new frontier, and those looking to apply "tried and true" best practices or past experience, whether business or recreational game based, might be surprised at how differently this educational-health related tech services market behaves, that, and how legislation is struggling to catch up. Possibly as a result the leadership at Lumos still seems to be figuring out a long-term vision, which leaves more room presently to innovate, but sometimes offers less clarity in the exact direction the company is and will take.

7. "Super awesome place"

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture are the best I've ever been a part of. The company treats us well. The product and the space we're in are interesting.

Cons

If your goal is to get rich, there are better places you can go to achieve that goal. Which is to say: Lumosity is not currently an IPO rocket ship.

8. "Great culture and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people! The environment is fun and collaborative, and there's no hierarchy. People generally have a lot of freedom to choose what they want to work on and learning is strongly encouraged. New and innovative ideas are welcome at every level and across the organization. Benefits are great (fresh groceries everyday, free lunch 4x a week, free gym membership, insurance coverage for family, happy hour every Friday), and there are tons of team building events.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that people feel no sense of urgency and things don't get done as quickly as they could be. Hard questions are sometimes not tackled. Teams tend to work in silos and we could benefit from more collaboration across different parts of the company.

9. "Literally wonderful"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lumos Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lumosity has fantastic culture, a laid back attitude with a respect for deadlines, and intensely creative and friendly atmosphere, and just a bunch of good people. I was an intern here two years ago and was after the full time job almost immediately. After some work, I got it, and freakin love it.

Cons

There are definitely moments of indecision. Because we have so many ideas flying around, and because people are generally willing to let you try things, it also means some ideas die with no explanation and others sit around in purgatory. You have to become the cheerleader for your own projects. On the same note, it is NOT for people who don't have personal motivation. Managers will give you slack when you ask for it, and so if you take too much of it, will result in a negative impression of you, which can lead to all sorts of things.

Advice to Management

Kill ideas! We'd all much rather have you say "No" than "Maybe,"

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of perks, great work life balance, and it's awesome being surrounded by passionate and smart people everyday.

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit hard to get things done, especially if you have to work with different teams.