KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Lumos Labs Reviews

Updated Nov 29, 2021

Found 35 of over 42 reviews

4.1
Lumos Labs CEO Krishna Kakarala (no image)
Krishna Kakarala

311 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great supportive place to work

Sep 12, 2020 - Senior IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The environment and energy in the office makes it a pleasure to go to work every day.

Cons

Honestly, any negative aspects would be overly nit-picky. I never felt like there was something negative about Lumos Labs that I couldn't reasonably change. I felt very empowered to take charge.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

All good

Nov 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of good people back in the day when I was there

Cons

I don't know what it's like there in 2021.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lumos

Aug 1, 2021 - Sales Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work was remote, and program was designed to help students and teachers.

Cons

Compensation was poor and no health benefits.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Really Unique Place

Feb 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A ton of autonomy to work on what you please. Also to me, the largest perk was the type of people I was working with. Nearly all were very interesting and smart!

Cons

The work can sometimes feel random and not well planned. Additionally, if you don't work on the product team, there's a general feeling that you're less of a priority.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I've been here for a year and I'm still loving every minute of it!

Apr 8, 2014 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

TLDR: great culture, great work-life balance, awesome perks, great office location, lots of personal/career-growth, lots of opportunities. I've grown so much as an engineer since joining Lumosity. I see noticeable improvement in my code month over month. The engineering culture here is so innovative and so amazing. We're always thinking of new ways of improving our development process and refactoring our code base. On the product side, as an engineer, I feel like my voice is always heard and this is definitely not the case with all tech companies. There's just so much room for personal growth. If you're more product-oriented, the product teams always love hearing an engineer's perspective. If you love solving difficult problems, all of our engineers build shippable product from day 1 and we design and architect systems in small teams. Senior engineers and managers provide guidance when asked but they won't micromanage or step in. If you enjoy data-mining and analytics, we have an amazing analytics team that works with both the science team and product team to analyze data. I feel super excited and happy to go to work everyday!

Cons

the company is growing rapidly so there are/might be some growing pains, but i feel like we're dealing with them pretty well. We can probably work on our inter-team communication, but everyone is so friendly it's pretty easy to talk to anyone in the company.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee

The Place to Be

Dec 14, 2014 - Games Team in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I help work on the games team at Lumosity. It's a fantastic company with great values and goals; I could (and do) recommend it to anyone in a tech field. Leadership is very open and oriented toward your personal goals, from upper management to team leads. The company is always reaching for new directions and better processes as it grows. The atmosphere is creative and experimental, with an emphasis on user testing and iteration. Teamwork is close and empowering, and there's always something new and exciting to work on. One of the company's greatest strengths is the focus on team fit during the interview process; the results are highly effective groups that respect AND like each other. Benefits are insane, the facilities are great, and there's an overall sense of being appreciated for your passion.

Cons

This is a company for motivated adults. The great team culture and fun come with an understanding that you're working hard; slackers and paycheck collectors need not apply. This isn't a con for the right person - it means that Lumosity attracts some of the most talented and passionate people I've ever worked with. The hardest part of working here is the high quality bar for code and art. Because so many internal people are passionate about the product, it can sometimes take longer than you'd think to release a top-notch game or feature.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not perfect, but still the best company I've worked for

Feb 13, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lumos Labs offers a nice suite of perks, that's comparable if not better than most other startups. Some of the more common perks include: - catered meals - unlimited PTO - free gym - all-inclusive offsite events ranging from local gatherings (House of Air, open bar events, BBQs, Tahoe) to exotic trips (Xmas party in Maui, company cruise to Mexico) - Friday happy hours Where Lumos really differentiates from other startups is employee autonomy. Micromanagement is pretty much non-existent and employees are treated as adults. Lumos Labs isn't a company run by a "celebrity entrepreneur" or worse, someone fresh out of school. While breakfast/lunch/dinner is provided, people aren't expected to spend every waking hour at the office. The game room gets regular use- ping pong/foosball/smash brothers/fifa games occur on a daily basis. Unlimited PTO is what you'd expect, and taking a break on short notice isn't frowned upon. While Lumos Labs has grown, it still manages to maintain the vibe and energy common in much smaller organizations.

Cons

Lumos Labs has gone through its share of growing pains. I like to think that the company has scaled gracefully from a small to mid-sized startup, but it hasn't gone completely unscathed. Common problems endemic to growth usually boil down to policy change, team structure, and quick hires. Lumos Labs has unfortunately been affected by all of these. To its credit, the company has managed to iron out a lot of these issues. People will always whine about change, but many of the recent adjustments are for the better.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

No place is perfect, but this place comes close!

Sep 20, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people. Hands down, the best people I've ever worked with! Employees are smart, interesting and laid back. I can genuinely say that coming to work cheers me up when I'm feeling down. Everyone is passionate about the product and about each other. We have people from vastly varying fields learning from each other. I've been given opportunities to learn and grow here that I never expected but have thoroughly enjoyed. The product is innovative and at the edge of its field. While this can be scary, it feels great to be breaking new ground at the intersection of enjoyment and improvement. I think we're truly proud of our offering.

Cons

We've erred on the side of giving too much freedom. While freedom in work is great, we've struggled with setting constraints and direction. Additionally, sometimes our processes can be too democratic or idealistic, which makes us unable to execute as quickly as we probably should.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Innovators Rewarded

Sep 21, 2016 - Senior Game Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The energizing entrepreneurial spirit and perks of funded start ups still thrive even as Lumos grows. After months at Lumos I continue to be excited about future and daily work, thanks in part to the integrity of the product and research going into it, the way the culture rewards new ideas and initiative, respects individuality and peoples different needs for daily schedules/work-life balance, and where coworkers are all at the top of their game, yet demonstrate professionalism over ego driven politics. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

The company is operating in something of a new frontier, and those looking to apply "tried and true" best practices or past experience, whether business or recreational game based, might be surprised at how differently this educational-health related tech services market behaves, that, and how legislation is struggling to catch up. Possibly as a result the leadership at Lumos still seems to be figuring out a long-term vision, which leaves more room presently to innovate, but sometimes offers less clarity in the exact direction the company is and will take.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best job I have ever had!

Sep 20, 2016 - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had! + I love working with one artist to make an experimental game in a few months. + I love the friendly teams who volunteer their time to preview the customer experience. They made a big difference and taught me a lot! + I love the trust of my teammates in my experimentation. + I love the flat organization where anyone is available, yet we respect each other's time highly and schedule very few meetings. + I love the healthy catering and subsidized Equinox gym membership. 4-years of these perks of working here has improved my mind and body's wellness and fitness. + I love the quiet library.

Cons

This is the highlight of my career so far. The following sometimes challenges my confidence: - Each day, I get distracted by a lot of casual and committee-style chatting. Part of my distraction is the open floor plan and my own introversion. Part of my distraction is the dissonance between purported business goals and day-to-day culture: I wish the chatters were hands-on working. There's around 25% of work hours scheduled for sharing knowledge, collaborating, and team meetings, team bonding, committee decision making, that I'd estimate 50% less work gets done, since those meetings generate follow-up work to do that is based on opinion-driven meetings. This throws off quite a bit of the priorities from the work that has hard evidence backing up its profitability. Those that contribute the least (due to skill-set mismatch, job description, or lack of their management) talk the most, which is distracting and a drain on the whole team's success. - Each week, I get impatient with some managers talking about adding value to customers, when I wish the managers were making simple financial forecasts, researching business intelligence and doing the simple and obvious work first rather than prioritizing high-risk, high-cost projects whose major upside is that it's really fun work to do (I enjoy the work, but have modest forecasts out of what customers get out of some the experiments with less financial evidence). - Each month, I get impatient with games that were blocked from progressing for over a year, and then excuses get made, and new people get hired, but the real causes of the blockage: lack of managerial accountability, and financial forecasting of these decisions. It's a drain on my enthusiasm when around 10% of my work held in limbo for months and the criteria for acceptance get changed in the meantime.

14 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 Reviews

Lumos Labs Reviews FAQs

Lumos Labs has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 42 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at Lumos Labs to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Lumos Labs employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Lumos Labs. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

75% of Lumos Labs employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Lumos Labs 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Lumos Labs to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Lumos Labs Job Seekers