Lush "staff discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lush Employee Reviews about "staff discount"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.7
Lush CEO Mark Constantine
Mark Constantine
Pros
Cons
  • "Sales tactics are also ridiculously pushy and senior staff were forcing them upon you throughout the day(in 33 reviews)

• "Managers and supervisors try to be supportive but do gossip about you to other members of staff(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "staff discount"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lush part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff discount and the products.

Cons

There no other way but to say that it was a toxic work environment. Perhaps it was the store location I was in because I've heard positive reviews from friends that have worked in other stores outside of NYC. There was too much passive aggressiveness, entitlement, and unnecessary attitude all of which are forms of mental abuse and that's not an exaggeration. It was extremely cliquey and I felt like I was in middle... school all over again. Lush presents itself as a positive place for self-care however the store I was in was beyond hypocritical. Floor leaders would talk to me as if I was the stupidest person on earth and I felt extremely heavy coming into work for every shift. It's sad because I know Lush at the core as a company does not believe in that atmosphere. I know co-workers who were even too scared to approach the manager and other floor leaders about their approach.

Advice to Management

Hold yourself and your co workers accountable when communicating with passive aggressiveness or just pure aggression. I get there are goals and numbers to be reached but that is in no way justification for the terrible treatment.

Lush2018-06-07
  2. "Really excellent"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Oxford, England

I worked at Lush part-time for less than a year

Pros

– Lovely management staff – Excellent employee benefits (50% staff discount) – Great ethical values which they stand by

Cons

– Pretty tiring work – Extremely busy during holiday periods

Lush2019-12-03
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Lush full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great staff discount Friendly people Ongoing training In charge of own development

Cons

No cons at all. Nice place

Lush2019-10-21
  5. "Absolutely sickening workplace, don't let the 50% discount reel you in."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Lush part-time

Pros

50% staff discount Friendly work mates

Cons

Ethical branding is just a front for your standard evil corporation. Had regular sexually vulgar comments directed to me from management when I joined at age 16. Blatant racial discrimination from managers to every single person of colour on the staff. Company utilises palm-oil in spite of employees being taught to lie about this, plastic glitter, single use plastic packaging for shipments. Employees as young as... 16 years old received over-excessive reprimanding to the point of tears for not greeting every single customer in a friendly enough manner. 5 hour 45 minutes shifts utilised to prevent employees from receiving breaks. Management was untrained, unprofessional, and had a disgusting brand of acting like they cared, then instantly being talked behind your back. Toxic, over-competitive culture pitted store assistants against each other, while they want you to still believe that "we're more of a family than a workplace". Rats in a workplace where members of the public would be putting our products on their skin, while the management refused to do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Remove the guise of being a "family" to employees, keep professional and respect boundaries, and keep honest

Lush2019-11-16
  6. "Not so Lush"

Former Employee - Manager in Poole, England

I worked at Lush full-time for more than a year

Pros

50% staff discount, good job to fill a gap

Cons

Cult-like ethos, serious attitude if you don't make the company your entire life, totally green-washed and faux-SJW causes

Lush2019-09-22

"Great from the outside"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Lush part-time

Pros

Good pay, great staff discount

Cons

Company does not look after employees mental health and it is almost impossible to get head office to do anything about bullies within the company

Lush2019-07-18
  8. "Sales assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Lush full-time

Pros

Great pay, staff discount, good customers, great working colleagues

Cons

specific with customer approach, love everything else

Advice to Management

None

Lush2019-06-23
  9. "Excellent company driven by ethics but"

Former Employee - Store Supervisor in London, England

I worked at Lush full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lush is a vibrant place to work at any level. Fun is encouraged. The opportunity to get involved in activism is a bonus. Excellent staff discount. Competitive pay compared to similar retail positions

Cons

Lush's culture demands a certain persona that allows very little room for error if you're not on top form. Additionally, there is little opportunity for progression. Most staff move sideways, with little chances to up skill.

Advice to Management

I felt throughout my time that many of the managers I worked with could be better trained in supporting their staff. Lush prides themselves on being open and diverse but further training is needed for managers to be better equipped for understanding mental health issues. Lush's in-house HR (formerly known as 'Helping Hands') frequently referred me back to my manager when I called with specific concerns or problems... meaning that I was never able to receive assistance that I needed.

Lush2019-05-04
  10. "Overall Good"

I have been working at Lush part-time

Pros

- I always smell good - It helped me learn more about my own hair and skin - I feel like I'm genuinely helping people at least once a shift - As a store we make a spotify playlist so it's good tunes playing - Pay is decent and staff discount is nice - The campaigns are often interesting

Cons

- If they get the slightest hint you might want to be a supervisor they will milk you for all your energy and push you up the management food chain (which could be a pro, idk what you want) - Customers will often want to fight you because they think they know best after reading 1 article about an ingredient - Workplace bullying is different because Lush is so PC some people start to lodge formal complaints... against others, knowing management won't look for proof of a claim because they don't want to offend a "victim".

Advice to Management

Use your security cameras and don't be afraid to actually reprimand staff who have been trained repeatedly on product knowledge but continue to give sub-par consultations because the rest of us have to deal with their unhappy customers.

Lush2019-03-25

"Sales assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Lush part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good staff discount Co-Workers become good friends Pushes you out of your comfort zone Living Wage

Cons

Very pressurizing Tough Approach taken to harassing customers Constant criticism to sales unless your consistently making huge sales Very competitive You lie a lot to customers Management is normally a mess and every store is different

Advice to Management

Don’t put so much pressure on your sales assistants and trust that the training you have given does work unless they ask for help

Lush2019-03-27