Luth Research "free parking" Reviews | Glassdoor

Luth Research Employee Reviews about "free parking"

Updated Jun 12, 2019

Found 66 reviews

Luth Research CEO Roseanne Luth
Roseanne Luth
Pros
  • "sometimes it's possible to work from home if you obtain permission from your supervisor in advance(in 5 reviews)

• "Free parking if you get in early enough, otherwise the company will pay up to(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "a second chance company that employs felons(in 4 reviews)

• "I've never worked for a company that had such a high turnover rate, and I still haven't worked for a company with(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "free parking"

Return to all Reviews

"The 'good and the bad' truthful review..."

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Luth Research for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros: - The technology, which is the bread and butter of this company is very innovative. - Generally, people for the most part are friendly when you get to know them. - There are some smart, forward thinkers that work here (you just have to know where to look for them). - Free parking if you get in early enough, otherwise the company will pay up to $8 for your street parking per day. - Free snacks, water,... espresso, and coffee and sometimes catered food. - Benefits are offered to full time employees, but are sub-par to 'par' at best. - Casual work environment, sometimes a little bit to casual. - The company prefers to promote people from within if they have the right skills and education, however, many promotions are based too much on a person's education and not merit. - Equal opportunity employer that gives second chances to people (but this also serves to hold down costs in certain departments). - Culturally diverse employer. - Some positions have a step learning curve, but people are supportive in general. This is a sink or swim atmosphere. - Tons of opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons

Cons: - Work-life balance is only so-so, and almost non-existent for individuals working in certain departments, and in some managerial positions. - For a company that is ran by women - which is a great thing (the CEO, the two VPs, the Director of HR, Director of Research, Senior Account Executives, and other managerial posts are all female) this is company is one of the 'least progressive' companies as far as... family matters and time off are concerned. - Leave is offered but you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it. Taking any time off is somewhat discouraged, even though leave is one of the few benefits given to full time employees. (You only get 6 vacation days and 6 paid sick leave days a year for the first two years. This is usually just PTO in other companies, so the current leave system is somewhat out dated). - 401K is offered but it's not matching. No or private equity offered to employees. - There is a ton of 'favoritism' in some departments, a 'pecking order of sorts', so god help you if you get on the bad side of someone in upper management. Some people get to 'telecommute' from home while others who can and should, don't get to for no apparent reason. - The work place is silo-ed off. There is little communication and cooperation between the departments, except for a few pockets here and there. This leads to tension between departments at times. - Unless you hold a 'key position' within the company, you can expect to be paid around 25-30% less than the current market rate for your position. - The company goes through waves of turnover as people (some really talented people) leave for better opportunities, so this makes it difficult to build and maintain cohesion. - No one has a stake in the future of this company, which can be demoralizing over time. - The company, along with its technology will more than likely be sold within the next few years to a larger entity (again only a small group of people will benefit from this when it happens). - The company has been around for almost 40 years, so things are pretty much set in stone, with no changes coming in sight.

Advice to Management

Maintain the pros mentioned, work on the cons mentioned.

Luth Research2015-11-24

"Did not like this job."

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at Luth Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch on your first day, free computer, free cell phone, and free parking. It is also in downtown so you can walk over and get a nice lunch at a good restaurant.

Cons

When I worked here (and yes I am a former employee), I thought it was strange that so many people were getting let go or quitting within the first 3 months of my working here. I've never worked for a company that had such a high turnover rate, and I still haven't worked for a company with high turnover rate. I personally know two people who actually quit (not fired but quit) because they did not like the environment..., the rate of pay, and the demands of the job, which didn't compensate for the rate of pay. These were not the telephone interviewers but they were the research analysts and I know my former boss loved one of them and wanted her to eventually become a senior research analyst. My training was really weak and my boss was condescending whenever I made mistakes or asked a question. I can understand if I were a seasoned employee but I just started. I've seen this boss yell at fellow coworkers (one of whom worked there for years) and myself. How is this good for employee morale? While there was always overtime, the benefits weren't that great (especially if you weren't coming in as a Level 2 or 3 employee) and don't compensate for how often people get sick here, especially during the winter months. How do people get sick? Easy, you are working with a lot of people and you are worked to the ground. Yes, we were away from the telephone room but it didn't prevent some of us from getting sick. My friend got sick all the time and she was only a little over two months into the job than I was. Also, I think it's unfair to discredit some of the people who haven't had a good experience working here. I've worked for other companies who have glassdoor accounts and I find it interesting that they have consistently high reviews from several employees (both current and former), whereas with Luth the reviews run on the low end. Good thing I have a frame of reference. By the way, I have to agree that the pay here is low.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and offer better training. Don't be so hard on people who make mistakes. Maybe if you treat them better you'll have a higher retention rate and boost production.

Luth Research2015-09-01

"Worst job experience"

Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at Luth Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the heart of downtown, free parking, free laptop and if you're lucky, a free cell phone. I can't think of anything else because I really did not like working here. Anyone who writes a glowing review for this person is probably a (former felon) supervisor or someone from HR.

Cons

You are easily overworked. Overtime is strongly encouraged. People in the phones area are kinda sketchy. Pay is extremely low. Fire/hire environment. Training is weak at best. Don't be surprised if people leave in less than 1 year. If you make it to more than a year, wow, I applaud you. If you think this is how work should be like, I feel bad for you. I was terminated but found work elsewhere that pays better. It's... out there, don't settle for Luth. I have never been treated so horribly by a boss until I came to Luth. Meetings are uninspiring. Benefits are weak.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees like they are disposable. I don't keep in touch with you guys for a reason. If you actually want to keep employees, maybe you should fire the felons and actually hire better, more qualified prospective employees. Oh wait, you can't afford it!

Luth Research2015-08-17

"If you are a professional researcher, get as far away from Luth as possible."

in San Diego, CA

I worked at Luth Research

Pros

- Located in San Diego. - Free parking (when avail.) - Great facility for other professional research companies to conduct focus groups.

Cons

- Although I have no idea what it is like for the phone room/hourly workers, as a salaried professional there is absolutely no way to navigate your career performance - "subjective" at best. - Grossly underpaid, based on industry standards. - Terrible and out-dated methodologies with focus on volume over quality. - Revolving door for employees who realize mistake after joining the company and flee as soon as... possible. - Questionable decision making leading to lost business and resources.

Advice to Management

Forget billing yourselves as a reputable research organization. Focus on providing facilities for "real" research companies to do business.

Luth Research2012-02-13

"Dreadful, ominous place to work"

I worked at Luth Research

Pros

Friendly individuals (particularly first-timers working there) Reasonable benefits Approved by the BBB A closer look at the private industry A stepping stone to another, higher up career Free parking

Cons

Oftentimes a cut-throat industry Superiors not always understanding/empathetic towards employees "Seasoned" coworkers not very friendly/jaded about their positions Be wary of certain coworkers willing to undermine you (again, referring to cut-throat industry); although most people are nice, some harbor resentment/envy esp. when they feel that you're "above" them Terrible pay Long hours Demanding schedules and... supervisors Lack of privacy space Old facilities Highly competitive atmosphere Questionable hiring practices HR department Training is less than satisfactory

Advice to Management

I know you guys are a private business and it's all about profit, but the more you keep pushing people, you lessen the employee morale. Sooner or later you guys will find yourselves with less money than you'd like.

Luth Research2011-05-28