Lutheran Services in Iowa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Pr. Doug Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "LSI has cons but there's also some pros"

Current Employee - Support Staff
    Current Employee - Support Staff

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to personally make a difference in other people's lives, this is one of the best places to do it. The benefits offered are comparable to some of the private companies I've worked for, health insurance, PTO, 401k, etc... After 6 months I have 60 hours of PTO. However, you do need to submit requests off at LEAST a month in advance. PTO around holidays can be difficult but no more so than private institutions. Overall the biggest pro to working for this company is the satisfaction you get from knowing that your working to directly help the lives of others and not just working for a pay check.

Cons

Support staff that work with clients make close to $9 an hour. Even at 40 hours a week, its difficult to make ends meet with this pay rate. Part of the reason for low is the nonprofit status. The company mostly relies on charity to survive and as such has little financial incentives to offer their employees. In my area of Des Moines, our client workers are understaffed and we are constantly asked if we want to work OT each week. This could be a pro in that in my experience its very easy to make extra money with OT pay. I usually average 40-50 hours a week but I've done 60-70 hour weeks before. I cant speak for other locations. Turnover is fairly high across departments. Most people leave for better paying jobs, can't say I blame them when there are college graduates working here earning less than $10 an hour. Some of the workers/managers can be passive/aggressive or rude to one another but its no worse from what I've experienced in the corporate world.

Advice to Management

For a nonprofit, I'm reasonably satisfied. LSI is not the place for people to make a lot of money and climb the corporate ladder. Its a place for people to do the best they can with few resources to help and make a difference to those in need.

"Going down hill"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Ames, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to help you figure out if you are cut out for this field of work.

Clients (telling the truth) are a hit and miss but when you get those who want to be independent you will work hard and feel like it's worth it.

Cons

Low pay (10 day, 7 nights, dollar extra on weekend), management is a mess and keeps getting worse with each new supervisor. They will sometimes not inform you of a shift they put you on but will mark your report if you do not show up. Have been done to me a few times. Will sometimes try to get you to do a extra shift to move someone but lie that staff they wish to move knows and still dont even inform them til you show up and tell them. Not a flexible schedule as informed. Will try to bully you into shifts if you have trouble saying no. (I'm not one but hear from others and seen happen) medical insurance is a joke, have to pay for it with your low pay and not get much out of it. Not alot of help by management so have to make friends with staff when you can. Not alot of socializing. And more.. And this is just for staff.

With clients.. as I said before it's hit or miss. The ones who like your help it's alot of work and not just cause of the client, they sometimes have their bad days but mostly cause of lack of aid due to lack of staff and planning from management when special events happen or when only one client out of the group at the site wishing to do something. Then you can get violent clients and will end up on your own with no help if something happens. If you are not careful management will sneak your shifts into violent sites even when you expressed no.

Advice to Management

If you are losing staff then its time to say there is a problem. Pay your staff better so they can survive on their pay and stay longer.

3. "Family Support Worker"

Former Employee - Family Support Worker in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Family Support Worker in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, opportunities to attend trainings, working with families and agencies within the community. Community education as well as providing support action within the community.

Cons

Company is focused on numbers and money and not their staff. Constantly adding more to the work load and then told be better at time management. Pay is very low and no raises have been given in over five years.

Advice to Management

Appreciation of their staff and pay salaries equal to the level of qualifications and what is required of their job.

4. "site teal leader"

Current Employee - Site Team Leader
    Current Employee - Site Team Leader

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible job, lots of experience, great if you want to make overtime

Cons

long hours, constant open shifts, no raises

5. "Approach with caution"

Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Ames, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get experience working with traumatized and behaviorally-challenged kids

Cons

chronically understaffed
    constantly pushed to expand availability
    safety is not first
    double shifts are expected/required

6. "I wish I could give it zero stars...."

Current Employee - Direct Support Staff in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Staff in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, um..... that's about it.

Cons

The PTO, their biggest "incentive" is difficult to use, time off request for shift workers, meed to be turned in before the month prior to the PTO, so July requests in May, which makes spontaneous anything impossible.
    No pay raises, ever.
    Extremely high turnover rate at all company levels.

Advice to Management

Pay people more, update your incentives to look like you care about your employees and not just a quick buck.

7. "Social Worker"

Pros

The schedule is flexible. If face to face hours exceed sixty five in total, there is a bonus hourly salary rate.

Cons

Salary of $24k. Meeting the minimum
    65 hour face to face time is very often not doable. Job depends on reliable auto. Their supposedly best feature is "PTO", which is accrued time off. It is a joke.

8. "Case worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denison, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denison, IA

I worked at Lutheran Services in Iowa (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dedicated and compassionate leaders. Rewarding work with families

Cons

High expectations with low pay. Pay stream constantly changing according to state regulations

9. "Family care coordinator"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Lutheran Services in Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, new day everyday, loose supervision, professional environment, Happy people.

Cons

Loads of driving, vehicle costs, break downs, angry people, paperwork.

Advice to Management

Bump pay up to closer that of professionals.

10. "Fun Job with not too much opportunity."

Current Employee - Youth Associate in Waverly, IA
    Current Employee - Youth Associate in Waverly, IA

Pros

Making a difference
    The actives you can do with the clients.
    Pretty relaxed environment.

Cons

No much opportunity to move up within the company.

Advice to Management

Fix your job requirements as it is impossible to move up without a degree.