Lutheran Social Services of Illinois Reviews | Glassdoor

Lutheran Social Services of Illinois President and CEO Rev. Denver Bitner
Rev. Denver Bitner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No raises, no pay for performance (in 3 reviews)

• Raises are rare and when they do occur everyone gets the same cost of living increase which does not keep up with inflation (in 2 reviews)

1. "Counselor at a Group Home"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great client relationships, good internship for master's in counseling

Cons

entry level pay with no raise

Advice to Management

client welfare

2. "Get this over with"

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time

Pros

great company for the most part

Cons

pay could be better for work completed

Advice to Management

do not be two faced

3. "Disrespectful To Foster Parents!"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a former Case Manager so I understand the high stress of the job and who within it deserves respect for what they do.

Cons

I have 2 issues with this LSSI. The disrespectful attitude is not appreciated nor a professional showing of staff when they go into a foster parents home to pick up/return child in regard to parent visit. Staff seem to forget foster parents have opened their homes and altered their schedules best possible to provide a safe, loving home until the child can return home or receive permanency, bio children deserve consideration as well. In most instances the bio parents are given more consideration than are the foster parents in regard to visit schedule. Foster parents are expected to bend to the bio parents preferences no matter how invasive it is to their schedules, family or the foster child's best interest. Staff prefers to keep things as easy as possible for themselves with no consideration for who is effected. Fosters parents job is 24/7, they don't clock out and forget it at 5.

Advice to Management

Management needs to train staff to gain/keep control of visits instead of handing it to the bio parents, essentially rewarding them.The bio parents actions/choices caused their situation, not the foster parents or children's. Also, train staff of the importance in being respectful and appreciative of good foster parents, the children are why the good ones do this job, the staff is why they quit. High turnover at this location is the cause of poor management, budget and the staff do as they please because they feel they have job security due to the prior stated issues.

4. "Outpatient Coordinator"

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time

Pros

Great team, coworkers are honest and take care of each other. Excellent PTO provision.

Cons

Low starting pay and infrequent raises.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Foster Car"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Champaign, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff works hard as a team

Cons

High staff turnover that resulted in high caseloads.

6. "Corporate Receptionist"

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company provides great benefits and pay

Cons

Illinois budget cut allow for a high turnover within the company

Advice to Management

Keep providing services to people and communities state wide

7. "Admin"

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

none that I can think of

8. "Assistant property manager"

Former Employee - Administrative and Assistant Property Manager in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love to be able to help people in a social service environment. Good starting job

Cons

Medical benefits expensive, pay is less than you would get elsewhere, program management likes to micromanage

Advice to Management

The CEO and upper management needs to pay attention and train senior directors and other types of management. Senior directors don't know everything and think they're betterror than anyone else just because they have a title.

9. "Not Doing Right by our Foster Parents"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent staff/co workers. Decent amount of days off.

Cons

Where to start?
    We have some many caseworkers that are clueless to supporting our foster families. So much so that I heard a case manager wouldn't answer voicemails or emails from a family with a child that was dangerous. Child injured members of the family and after caseworker gets notice from the family out of spite she placed the child in the same area that the injured family resides in. She stated to a group that she was going to do this on purpose. Another coworker ignored begging of a family to have a child removed. I'm sick to death hearing what these LSSI employees do to hurt foster parent relationships.

Advice to Management

Clean house ASAP from the Director downward. Get true professionals instead of stuff that are too immature to be working for the welfare of children.

10. "Charitable organization that doesn't care about its employees"

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time

Pros

I loved my job. It was amazing be able to do so many good things for clients. So many that we served were really on the verge of falling off the cliff. Some had absolutely nothing. It was a great feeling to serve these individuals - provide a stable life.

Cons

MICROMANAGING. Headquarters should be there to GUIDE not DICTATE. If you hire professional, then please allow these individuals to do their job. You do NOT have to control every single aspect of their jobs. Some people at headquarters really need a reality check. They've worked for LSSI forever and have absolutely NO idea about the real world.

LOW PAY/POOR BENEFITS: No raises despite the fact that a huge number were laid off, but enough money to pay for consultants and all sorts of unnecessary meetings and luncheons. Health insurance went through the roof with the employee portion quadrupling. Treat your employees like you give a damn or you won't have them very long.

Advice to Management

You cannot run a charitable organization like a business. If you do, you need to pay your staff what they would be paid in the for-profit world. The new CEO is trying to hard to turn a "profit" and not hard enough to accomplish the mission statement. If you're a Republican find a job at a bank and leave not-for-profit for those who actually care about who we serve.