Lutheran Social Services of Illinois Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 66 reviews

2.6
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois CEO Rev. Denver Bitner
Rev. Denver Bitner
Pros
  • "Great co-workers, wonderful supervisor and a comfortable workplace made it enjoyable to go to work most days(in 2 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you are going to run a non-profit like a for-profit and make that your answer to sustainability then you have to pay people accordingly(in 5 reviews)

• "High caseloads low pay and some people do supervisor position and think they are supervisors(in 3 reviews)

Director of Business Services

Former Employee - DBS in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Served the community through a noble mission Benefits were very good Enjoyed working with the people, they were great Innovative

Cons

During my tenure LSSI spread themselves too thinly supporting work that neither generated enough revenue or grant money to support those programs. I believe that they have made changes to remedy that situation.

Advice to Management

Keep praying for God's direction.

2. Child welfare assistant

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Helping families and kids, some decent coworkers

Cons

They don’t care about employees, weekend workers not appreciated, unfair vacation and holiday pay. The highest turnover I’ve ever seen in any job ever! Pay is not good for all the dangerous situations we are thrown into. Clicks, back stabbing and very low morale. It could be good if higher ups actually cared for employees!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Care about your employees. It is so very obvious that you don’t!

Foster Care Supervisor

Former Employee - Child Welfare Specialist in Marion, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Some support; flexibility. If you find a team that is cohesive then it’s worth working for.

Cons

Agency not doing well; lots of staff and workers has left within the last ten months due to insubordination and mismanagement of the higher ups. Not enough support from the higher ups. Courts hate the agency. No back up support from supervisors. New workers aren’t fully prepared for this job and are left stranded on their own.

Advice to Management

More support; when you say you’re going to be there for a worker, follow through; pay attention to those struggling: take time to listen.

4. If you like being overworked and underpaid this is your place

Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time for more than a year

Pros

serving a population that is historically underserved. Insurance benefits are very reasonably priced. Generous PLP (note it's called PLP and not vacation time for a reason. The first two days of absences due to sickness are taken from PLP.

Cons

complete incompetence in upper management. This non-profit seems to be under the impression that it is a for profit except when it comes to paying employees a fair salary. Incompetence is overlooked and allowed to continue.

Advice to Management

Employ management that is actually qualified to perform the jobs they have. The employees on the front line work hard. Pay them a livable salary and acknowledge their accomplishments instead of repeatedly telling them they aren't doing enough.

5. Low Pay, Long Hours. No Support

Former Employee - Crisis Counselor in Chicago, IL

Pros

The job itself was rewarding. The team I worked with was incredible.

Cons

After 4 years, I left this job making less money than when I started. Shifts in my department were 14 hours. There is no support from management of any kind. When genuine concerns are brought to the table you will likely be met with, "Well, you can look for another job." Patients are looked at like dollar signs, not people. Breaks are nonexistent. No paid holidays in 24 hour programs, but your coworkers across the street...

Advice to Management

Have respect for employees. Don't scream at them. Don't work them to the point of mental and physical fatigue. Say thank you once in awhile. When sending your Merry Christmas email to the employees you never see, do not end it with "Happy Holidays. Let's increase productivity (billing)," when talking to employees who are working the holidays while you're on paid vacation.

Need to value employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

I loved working at LSSI and would have stayed if I thought things would change. Great co-workers, wonderful supervisor and a comfortable workplace made it enjoyable to go to work most days. I had the opportunity to learn many new skills and gained a lot of valuable experience, which helped me get my current job. I gave 110% to get my job done because I believed in the mission. The benefits, including flexibility made...

Cons

If you prove to be a reliable, competent worker you will get more and more responsibility without the pay to go with it. There is no structure in place to address this situation and upper management is out of touch with the rest of staff salaries. The current CEO values consultants and profits above loyal employees (who are the heart of the organization). If you are going to run a non-profit like a for-profit and make...

Advice to Management

Listen to the loyal employees you still have or they will leave. Reward and retention of employees can and will effect the bottom line either way. You are better off addressing this issue before it is too late.

7. Good Company