Lutheran Social Services of the South Reviews | Glassdoor

Lutheran Social Services of the South Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "I was very pleased with the hiring process; great communication with everyone I dealt with."

Current Employee - Program Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of the South full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the time I've worked at LSS, my positive experiences include:
    Interesting work
    Great benefits
    Responsive to questions
    Flexible
    Supportive supervisor

Cons

I have yet to have a negative experience with this organization. Their HR portal is easy to use & very informative.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the support provided by my direct supervisor as well as the corporate office. The timeliness with which I have received responses has enabled me to do my job effectively.

2. "Behavior Specialist"

Pros

The impact you get to have with the kids.

Cons

The management team needs to communicate better. It can weigh heavy on your psyche, don't take it home.

Advice to Management

Seamless communication; more incentives to work there.

3. "Server"

Former Employee - Controller in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Controller in Austin, TX

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of the South (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission and faith based work

Cons

long hours and unrealistic expectations

5. "End of Grant"

Pros

Good work environment. Rewarding excellent service by employees. Fair wages with occasional bonuses. Insurance coverage excellent company paid for larger portion of premiums. Good benefits overall.

Cons

Not really too many cons until the five year grant ran out. I had no idea that major funding stream would end shortly after I got there.

Advice to Management

Lutheran Social Services could at least give the smaller agencies they support a heads up before the boat begins to sink. Other funding did fall through at the last minute

6. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Disaster Case Manager Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Disaster Case Manager Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of the South full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great corporate structure encourages promotion. As we are all aeware the the employees perception is what forms the understanding of what the quality of the agency.

Cons

Not many outside offices. As with any great corporate structures, we can agree that many regional offices are necessary to vitalize the value of work that the agency provides. Though the company provides quality services, it is always wonderful to realize the value of the service one provides. It is equally satisfactorily to know the the assistance it provids as well.

7. "Youth Care Worker"

I have been working at Lutheran Social Services of the South full-time

Pros

Great people
    Very fun working with kids

Cons

Right now there is a shortage on staff so everyone's on overtime. No personal life

8. "Special Events Coordinator"

Pros

Great people, great mission, fulfilling work

Cons

Not much room for moving around and salary bumps

"Confused organization"

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of the South full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Appears supportive of mission. Hands off management. Good benefits and salaries for a not for profit. Noble purpose.

Cons

Confused about mission, non existent corporate support and top management until the employee achieves the goals set out by C suite, then summarily dismiss the employee. Not caring, compliance and finance issues. Have created a culture of fear for top managers and unaccountability for supervisors and line staff. Butts in beds mentality toward adoption and taking children from their parents.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Be kind and compassionate to your management staff if you are going to request donations to your not for profit Christian organization. You are firing the very people who helped you meet your mission and goals. Eliminate the hostility toward senior services. Look at the child and family as precious, not money for your C team.

"Overall a good experience"

I worked at Lutheran Social Services of the South full-time

Pros

This company provides excellent opportunities to work with children and adolescents most in need of your support. It's wonderful to meet so many foster children who are thriving in their home, despite having faced terrible situations in life. LSSS offers opportunities for personal and professional growth, as well.

Cons

It's not an easy job and is certainly not for someone who dislikes traveling for work. The one frustration I came across was a seemingly constant change in management of different departments. This made it difficult to know who to report to. I feel the pay could of been much higher, though this is a common trait in the social work field.

Advice to Management

I think it would be helpful to get to know your staff - no matter what their job title.

"Claims it is mission-driven but not really."

Pros

FSWs really do care about the children in their care. The retirement communities are taking good care of senior retirees.

Cons

Upper management does not care about all of the lower paid workers. They do not manage by example but by instilling fear in the employees.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the turnover - a lot of really good people have been leaving the agency. Morale is at an all time low,