Lyft Community Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyft CEO Logan Green
Logan Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Wear and tear on the car isn’t fun" (in 81 reviews)

• "poor rating system; inconsistent bonus system" (in 70 reviews)

1. "Cool Place To Work"

Former Employee - Community Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and Value of the company was amazing

Cons

No real growth in the company

2. "Community associate"

Current Contractor - Community Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Community Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lyft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, lunch and snacks

Cons

Chaotic startup atmosphere, benefits, cliquey culture

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"The facade drops as the pay scale drops."

Former Employee - Community Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture at HQ, excellent colleagues and coworkers.

Cons

Zero thought put into career trajectory. Co-workers with the same job on permanent contract while others with same job were "onboarded" (and thus given full benefits) created one of the most uncomfortable working environments I have ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Live your own values.

"Community Associate-Atlanta"

Former Contractor - Community Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Community Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lyft Credits, health benefits, some down to earth co-workers

Cons

All this job is is dealing with pissed off drivers coming in to the hub for support complaining about how terrible of a company this is, and how badly they treat/pay their drivers( which is true).... Business model is fundamentally flawed to continuously bring on new drivers so the local market is hyper-saturated with Lyft drivers. This fallacy that tech companies are not greedy corporations like those wall streeters needs to end now... Pay for the CA position is pretty low here in Atlanta... but I think it’s the same across the country (Around $17/hr). Most CAs have college degrees so that is NOT a good salary. Only good thing about it is the benefits... Senior management doesn’t care too much about the CAs. Also, there’s little to no possibly for advancement within the company. Oh, and they just switched to retail hours nationally so good luck with that! And I no longer work for this company for the multitude of reasons I just listed.

Advice to Management

None, they won’t listen to it here... Only way to get those fools in SF attention would be to unionize and demand better treatment.

5. "Community Associate"

I have been working at Lyft full-time

Pros

Laid back working environment, Pay is ok, meeting new people on a daily basis. Fun events

Cons

Not much upward mobility so get comfortable in your position. Working with non professionals with rental partners. Training new people without compensation and also training individuals that will be promoted. A lot of micro managing and unconsistency throughout entire company. New rules now enforced with uniforms and cell phone policies.

Advice to Management

How can you see how employees work when you spend most of your time at the Hub?

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Community Associate

I have been working at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture focus on diversity and inclusion. Employee benefits start on day 1. Management is engaged with staff and supportive. Focus on retaining great drivers. Great perks make commuting and life a little easier. Opportunities for advancement, even in non-tech roles.

Cons

Starting pay is much higher than minimum wage but still isn't in step with Bay Area cost of living.

"Good Company Culture"

Current Employee - Community Associate

I have been working at Lyft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance/benefits are the best part of the job

Cons

-OL's and managers say that they are always there for you but usually, it takes a while to get a response from them on even the most simple question. If you're in a leadership position, lead by example, get your hands dirty and do the job that your associates do.
    -As a leader lead servantly, do what is ethical, even if it does not benefit you as a lead. This is how you gain trust in your associates and get them to want to work for you.
    -Overall, there is a lot that HQ needs to look at in the local markets in the eyes of leadership.

Advice to Management

More time needs to be given to CA's to feel appreciated. We are the boots on the ground and the first and usually only faces that drivers see. We need to feel appreciated. Do not play favorites - Remember Lyft's values that you learned on day one of training and follow them.

"Community Associate"

I have been working at Lyft full-time

Pros

- $200 worth of lyft credit each month
    - Free lunch up to $15 on Friday
    - laid back co- workers

Cons

The position is very deceiving! When you interview they emphasize on “customer service skills” and they make this position seem as if you are just helping the drivers with onboarding and some issues but it’s wayyyy more than that. Working is basically like working for a car rental company such as enterprise or hertz. You have to keep track on car inventory, accidents, cleaning and putting gas in vehicles and more. The hours are long and the pay is low for this kind of position and it is hard to live of. As a result, most of my co workers drive for lyft as well to make ends meet. Keeping up with all the vehicles with cleaning, gas, maintenance, repairs, accidents, etc is a lot and overwhelming. ESPECIALLY FOR THE LOW PAY! Also community associates get Chromebooks to work on as well instead of MacBooks or other better laptop brands. CA’s do not get the “Lyft Experience” that employees in the Hub get. Not to mention the fact, that all the express locations are outside of the city and a big commute for most people. The position overworks you and under pays you and their is not enough staff in the back of the house and front of the house. Get ready to become a human punching bag!

Advice to Management

-Be honest and upfront about this position when you interview people for it and on the job posting on the website, it should state that this is like working for a car rental company.
    - Give CA’s the option to work part time hours as well since 9am-5:30pm can be difficult for some people schedules and commute home
    - Make it so express employees have same experience as those working at the hub
    - Get some express locations in the city and not in far out suburbs that are inconvenient
    -Hire fleet people to deal with vehicles inventory, maintenance, cleaning, etc so that CA’s don’t have to do that because it is a lot of work to do and overwhelming
    -Increase pay because wages are low to survive off. The amount of pay is not worth the work that a CA has to do.
    - Make a better training plan to train new people intensively the first 2 weeks versus letting random people train them.
    -Let employees get off early on Fridays if it is slow after 4pm

9. "Community Associate"

Former Contractor - Community Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Community Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Lyft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with bleeding edge database software.

Cons

The software edges were always bleeding...

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and contractors for every how they work. Volunteering for corporations is no fun.

"Optimistic for the future!"

Current Employee - Community Associate

I have been working at Lyft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was not a believer when I first started. Unlike most of my peers, I did not drink the kool aid. I was very reluctant to believe in the companies motives and their mission. It was my opinion that in the end, it was only about one thing, money.

Thankfully I was proven wrong. After months and months of this disbelief, it finally hit me one day. I realized the company truly did care about their employees, customers and the drivers. I realized Lyft was interested in more than just profit but in creating the worlds best transportation. Everyday has been an adventure with new obstacles and problems to solve, not solely but as a team, together.

Since that moment of realization, I've loved every second working for Lyft. I have first hand experienced the effects that Lyft has had on not only myself, but passengers who rely on the platform everyday to go about their lives and drivers who utilize Lyft for income, whether a full time job or just saving for something important to them.

Cons

There are many operational challenges that come with any growing company. However, we have the right leadership in place and I'm confident this will change in time.

Advice to Management

With the immense growth we've experienced year over year, please continue to promote from within. There are a lot of passionate and motivated people at the bottom who would love and are capable to help grow the company further.